Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something really weird and unexpected happened before. I have a samsung DVDRW model TS-H552B, haven't really done much with it apart from install apps and games. After a reboot earlier today I noticed it taking a while to boot and the dvdrw drive light was flickering then suddenly as it began to rev up i could heard a LOUD crunching and whirring noise. I instantly knocked the power off from my PC, opened it up and whipped the dvdrw out.
Removed the ccover and managed to get most of the cd out... it was split from the center outwards. I couldnt see any actual damage to the dvdrw, but i didnt want to risk putting it back in my pc. I got in contact with samsung and hopefully the warranty should cover service/repair. Has anyone else had any similar occurances?
I've never read of this before. :hdbash:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got note from Samsung, they say the new generation of optical drives spin incredibly fast and any defects on the CD could cause it to shatter. I recall my CD did have a slight cut in the center, which suggests thats the cause. My drive is now working, I stuck it back in the comp and i've tested it.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I believe 52x CD drives spin at up to 13,000 rpm but I haven't checked it in a while. I've only seen a CD grenade on TV (it was on Myth Busters) and they spun it up to about 26,000 rpm :evil:.

·
Banned
177 Posts
myth busters rofl those idiots. anyway that would pose a problem me thinks with that design if it will shatter at high speeds who would want to run the risk of every cd they put in shattering?

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
it will only shatter if it runs at 52x + speeds so till 52x you are quite safe that is with a defect free cd

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
i think him and i are just lucky. wut u see in the pic is my [email protected]@$$ 16x LG DVD-ROM. it actually gets higher (round 65-70x) but i didnt bother...been a while since copied CDs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a scary thought really... the pieces could break through the casing and cause all kinds of damage.
I hadn't been burning a cd or running prog off it... only had a cd in the drive as it booted up and boy did it spin, I thought It was one of my case fans that had gone at first

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ive had a CD bust in my CD-burner. It was my fault because the CD was already cracked. I just wanted to see if it could read it. Anyway i heard a thud and popped the CD tray out and saw part of cd sitting there. I closed it and turned my computer off. After cleaning out the CD-burner, it worked fine afterwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts