11,307 Posts
Yes, it is very much CPU dependent. The encoding time is about
"2-4 frames per second on a PII-350."

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Originally posted by Zell
Sorry but ain't that ilegal ?!?!
It becomes illegal if you make a copy and sell it, or starts to give it away publicly. If that's for personal use, as Ryos said, then that's fine.

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking of doing FFTSW. How long do you think it will take on my machine and how big will it be?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Originally posted by BaD_BURN
I'm thinking of doing FFTSW. How long do you think it will take on my machine and how big will it be?
Hmm... (let's consider as 3 frames per second in 350MHz [average])

If 3 - 350
then x - 1400
("invertedly" proportional)
If 3 - 1400
then x - 350

1400.x = 350.3
1400.x = 1050

x = 1050
x = 0,75 frames/seg on your machine (average)

If a movie has 120 minutes, then:
120 mins = 7200 segs
7200.0,75 = 5400 segs
5400 = 90 minutes to record it... (or an hour and a half)

Theoretically I think it would work like that... pratically... I don't know. I don't have a clue about the size either... maybe it depends on some bitrate you can set when recording?? :p

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.... STUPID OF ME!!!

It's not inverted proportional... it's DIRECTLY porporcional... f**k!!

I'll do that again sometime later...

:stupid:

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by BaD_BURN
Depends on what options you use to encode and your computer specs.. Best quality encoding takes longer than lower quality.. I encoded the Matrix DVD into a super high quality divx avi.. But it was 2.2 gig compressed from 6 gig.. Damn near DVD quality though..

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well encoding is not too bad if you just leave it running overnight:) in my case it takes about 10 hours! :eek: If you willing to make sacrifices you can get the size down considerably.(when I backup up my copy of X-men I got it down to about 300mb)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts