Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I've got a problem. See I got this comp back in july and built it with a friend. Anyways since about a month ago I noticed my DVD drive (LITE ON SOHW-1693S) slowed down in speed considerably while ripping an ISO from a disc, ever since then it became a pain. It wouldn't play some audio CDs, doesn't play DVDs and if I put a blank disk in it, it would freeze my comp. I honestly thought the problem was the drive since as you can tell is cheap and LITE ON is brand I heard a lot of people complain about. So I did what I thought would be the obvious thing to do and bought another drive (PLEXTOR PX-740A). So there I was thinking the problem would be eradicated by newly purchased drive only to find the problem persists. I think it can be a problemthe Motherboard but I am running out of ideas here I changed IDE ports and everything is the same. If someone has a good idea of what problem may be please let me know...
thank you.
Any comments or ideas will be highly appreciated.

· Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
did thou triest a full format and reinstallification

· Registered
58 Posts
thats like the last thing to try lol ... i dont think he or anyone else would want to do that... and if it is a hardware problem somewhere then doing the re installing crud would be a waist of time. thats odd tho that it just died in the middle of something and from then on doesnt work right... all i can say is goto www.pcpitstop.com or www.housecall.antivirus.com .....first site may/ may not tell u anything about that problem....and then second gets rid of viruses and is very good sometimes finds things norton doesnt.

- Dave -

· Registered
1,733 Posts
DFI motherboards are among the best (if not, the best). I guess you could try the very latest nForce4 driver set from Guru3D.com and see if that makes a difference. Uninstall the older drivers first. If that doesn't work, then the issue may be solvable by updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[Clements] said:
DFI motherboards are among the best (if not, the best). I guess you could try the very latest nForce4 driver set from Guru3D.com and see if that makes a difference. Uninstall the older drivers first. If that doesn't work, then the issue may be solvable by updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision.

OK. I know I have the latest NForce drivers for my MoBo, Anyways. reformatting my hard drive seems like the solution huh?
thank you.

· Registered
58 Posts
dude im pretty sure that if the drive randomly failed and a new one isnt working either than its most likely not going to be fixed by reformatting. but hey thats just my opinion. the only way to know if its the hardware or not is to test your mobo in another computer.....which you probably arent willing to do since it would take a bunch of time and stuff to do. try testing the drive in another computer to see if maybe u got a defective drive? its all a long shot, but if it were me id rather do what i just said instead of reformating lol

- Dave -

· Computer Nerd
162 Posts
yu try another IDE cable for your DVD Rw drive.because it also sounds like your DVDRW drive is going bad cuz that happen to me b4 ages ago on another mobo. so if you have any IDE cables laying around try those.

if you have a HD shareing a cable with that DVD drive take it off the cable and put the HD on its own.

also try updating your dvd drive firm ware if you know ho to . they may be a fix for it that may fix that problem.

cuz this the first time i seen this problem with the mobo. cuz i have the same mobo and dont have that problem.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright I reinstalled the Mobo drivers and it seems to be working better. It plays DVD now and most CDs still can't get the play the latest Fearfactory CD I bought for some reason and it still worries me. by the way if you like fear factory don't buy that Cd it sucks...Oh i changed IDE cables. thanks. I heard updating firmware can screw up my drive is that true?
thank you

· Computer Nerd
162 Posts
it can only screw up if you mess up during the updating of the firmware. like do something silly and do something while it updating or turn your comp off while it updating.

thats the only way it would mess up if you do something silly. cuz i update my cd/dvd firmware in windows with no problems.

· Premium Member
6,403 Posts
If that happens again and you have the nVidia IDE drivers installed, try taking them off. They caused problems for me on my nForce 2 board and I'm not sure if they're completely stable yet. I have slow speeds with ripping discs and reading burnt discs with my DFI board but I haven't tried taking off the drivers yet.

As for the firmware, as long as you do it properly, it will most likely work okay. The only bad thing that's happened to me when I've updated firmware on my drives was that I had to reactivate Windows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.