Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Heretic
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this technique I came up with in another thread a while ago, but when I came across the file in my computer today I thought I might as well bring it up again. Its a very simple technique that lets you backup your DVD's without losing the menu's etc. So how does it work? Well if you don't have a dual layer dvd burner, or can't be bothered buying the hella expensive dual layer blanks, then this technique is for you (if you don't mind using 2 dvds for one movie. It works by dummying; on the first disc you dummy the second half of the movie, and on the second disc you dummy the first. I've used this technique several times with a dummy file I made myself. I've attached it here for your convenience and tada! Simple backups of your movies!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a copy of what I said in the older thread if you want it in detail:

1. First of all make a dummy vob file. I've attached the one I made to save everyone the trouble and me trying to get people to understand. But I'll still say how I made the dummy. I made a black image in adobe photoshop the resolution of a dvd file (the actualy resolution shouldn't matter but it has no file size difference as vobs are pretty small). Then I converted the single frame to avi with CPoint's Animator Professional. Then I converted the avi to mpeg2 with Boilsofts AVI to VCD converter. Then I used DVDLab to make a dvd out of the mpeg2 blank file and then I took the vob file out of the dvd (you don't have to actually burn it). Now aren't you glad I attached it?

2. Take the contents of the dvd off the disc via DVD Decrypter or a similar program (Smart DVD Ripper is another one I think).

3. Now you'll have to identifty which files are the actual movie. Just systematically go through all the vob files in Windows Media Player until you find them. Generally I think the main movie files are VTS_01_*.VOB (* is a number).

4. Once you've identified the movie files replace the second half of them with the dummy file (which leaves you with the first part of the movie, ie disc 1). So basically you delete the vobs from halfway on (eg if there are 6 main vobs you replace 4-6 leaving you with 1-3). Be sure that you rename the dummy files to that of the vob your replacing. Also be sure that you keep a copy of the files you replace to save you from ripping them again, so basically just move them away into a different folder for the time being.

5. Also while I was at it I dummied the warning message :) (you know the 'its illegal to copy this bla bla bla'?, its useless keeping it on a burnt copy anyways).

6. Assuming you've dummied the 2nd half of the movie, burn that to a DVD with Nero and label it disc one. Now replace the dummied files with their original parts and now dummy the first half of the movie. So once you've burnt that and label it disc 2 in the dvd player it will just play through those 1 frame vobs and basically skip straight to the 2nd part of the movie. Clever, ey?

By using my technique you keep the EXACT original quality and you keep all the menus etc, which is always a nice thing. Also you can dummy anything that appears as a vob file (like if you find you need more space you can dummy the extra features components). So basically what my technique does is you're just splitting the movie into 2 discs.

Now for the problems. I actually screwed this up the first time I tried it because there was something wrong with my dummy file, so I recommend you just use the one I've attached. If you do end up replacing the warning message and you find you just get a black screen, just press the menu button on your remote and it will just go straight to the menu. The only other issue I can think of is the fact you have to be tolerant enough to get up and change the disc halfway through. But thats not much if you maintain original quality.

I came up with this idea all by myself so I'm pretty proud. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
232 Posts
vanit, dummying the vob files is a pretty brilliant idea. my hats off to you for that.

i have an alternate idea, which may be easier, and doesnt require expensive double layer discs.

Use DVD Decrypter to dump the whole DVD to wherever you want on your hard drive.
this usually takes about 15-25 minutes

use Nero Recode to do the rest. (the process is VERY simple. simply press 'import folder', choose the folder you dumped the dvd to, and the program will guide you through the rest.) it will compress the movie, menus, and all features to fit the size of 4.7gb disc (and its even 8.5gb dvd ready). you can remove unwanted language or subtitle tracks to make video quality even better.
-depending on quality and movie length, this takes 1-2 hours.

the result: if you dont have a digital tv, you wont notice much difference between the copy and the original. movie quality is usually 75-80% of what it originally was. in other words, its not original qulity BUT theres almost unnoticable loss. and it only takes about 2.5 hours of your time.

playback: the dvd will play JUST like the original.

google these if you want to try this alternate method:
DVD Decrypter
Nero Recode

· Heretic
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DVDShrink was brought up in the last thread and I second that it's an excellent program. But, I suppose you could say this is an alternative for the picky people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.