Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any mention of Duke Nukem Forever, these days, will have most gamers rushing to their calender, just to check if it really is April 1st. This time however, the Duke is legitimately back in the news, even though a release date is still an unrealistic target. Meqon, an up and comer in the physics middleware industry, announced they have been selected by 3D Realms as the physics engine provider for their long awaited game Duke Nukem Forever. Meqon has been focusing on creating the most easy to use and flexible physics engine in existence. George Broussard, CEO of 3D Realms backs them up - We evaluated several physics SDK's and Meqon was really fast, had the cleanest interface and integrated into our game very quickly. The physics engine does not only handle basic rigid body simulation, but extends into character and vehicle enhanced physics as well. Mr Broussard comments, With its advanced feature set, we feel confident that Meqon's next generation physics engine can help us create the next generation of action games. Strangely enough DNF already had selected a physics engine, the aptly named, Mathengine. Unfortunately for the troubled title, the engine that 3D Realms wanted was bought by Criterion Software, the creators of Renderware. EAs involvement however, has caused most developers not associated with the giant publisher, to reconsider using Renderware. This change of physics engine however, may prove the one lucky break in an otherwise troubled development process for DNF.
Just to break the mold!!!

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
w00t. Finally some progress! :spit:

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
We have to keep telling ourselves.

For all these years Duke Nukem Forever is just in a long stage of quality development.

When the game is released, it will be best PC game ever produced with zero bugs! :evil:

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is the one game that I will never lose hope on, I know when this game comes out it will be fantastic.

And they are using their own rendering engine, not the Unreal 3.0 one. And there is no Unreal Engine 3 per se, it's all just Unreal engine that keeps getting upgraded and all licensees get the upgrades.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
RZetlin said:
We have to keep telling ourselves.

For all these years Duke Nukem Forever is just in a long stage of quality development.

When the game is released, it will be best PC game ever produced with zero bugs! :evil:
If it's gonna be released :evil: :innocent:

·
Registered
391 Posts
caipirinha said:
actualy they are using a heavily modified unreal engine 2.0 :p. or that's what I heard until 2 weeks ago...
No, they're just using the Unreal engine. One of the 3DR employees said that over there it's just mentioned as "Unreal Tech" since it's all the Unreal Engine.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
caipirinha said:
actualy they are using a heavily modified unreal engine 2.0 :p. or that's what I heard until 2 weeks ago...
you know any site, forum, irc channel which has the newest info about DN4E?

·
Registered
391 Posts
KanedA said:
you know any site, forum, irc channel which has the newest info about DN4E?
Yeah, the official Duke Nukem Forever forum over at 3DRealms.com. George Broussard just posted there the other day explaining their reason for switching to Meqon.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
yes it's just one engine but the each big upgrade has a name and number, the type used since unreal 2 , is the unreal warfare or unreal 2.0.

also they can't use 10 years old code on a new engine, it's the same thing but totally different :p .

kaneda the freaks at the official 3drealms.com boards seem to know the latest news, so I go visit there once in a while when I'm tired of playing, jerking off and have nothing better to do :p .

oh mr smith already answered that. sorry for the redundancy

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
l3illyl3ob said:
For those who've also been following, it's using Unreal Engine 3.0 too.
This has been speculated aswell as denied by all but official sources AFAIK. What's your source?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well it's not using the Unreal Engine 3.0 rendering engine. It will probably use the networking, maybe scripting, and all those other non graphical aspects of an engine. Since they get regular updates from Epic, they probably are using the lastest build of Unreal Engine.

On the boards Charlie Weiderhold apparantly PMed some fellow saying that they are using UE3 but Joe Siegler said it was false...I don't know what's going on there.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
I really don't care about Duke Nukem Forever anymore...seriously. They cannot make up their minds! First, Quake II Engine, then the Unreal Engine, then the Unreal Tournament engine...now Unreal 3.0?

....whatever...

r2rX :(

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
ready2rumbelX said:
I really don't care about Duke Nukem Forever anymore...seriously. They cannot make up their minds! First, Quake II Engine, then the Unreal Engine, then the Unreal Tournament engine...now Unreal 3.0?

....whatever...

r2rX :(
if they ever gonna release this game or mark it an 'in progress 4ever' one...

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Boooring! Time to give it up and move onto something different. Or just ... quit.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
Let them concentrate on Max Payne 3 or something...

"When it's Done"...what a load of crap!

r2rX oO

1 - 20 of 31 Posts