Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Anais once again, and I was using this DuckStation emulator (which is a fairly new emulator, still WIP) and when I tried it I got fancied with DuckStation and I couldn't hep but to delete all other PS1 emulators. Has anyone tried DuckStation? What features are you expecting with DuckStation in the future? Share your thoughts!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi. I recently tested the DuckStation Emulator. It's very impressive. Specially at the PGXP effects. Of course, it needs a lot of good hard work. But assuming that it still as an a "Beta Build", not still as an a "official version". I'm very glad and took my mind blowed so hard.

However. It looks like that this emulator it's maintained, and updating so frequently. It's a good thing. Because, i think. If the authors stills updating frequently; It will blows ePSXe and another emulator turns into dust, IN NO TIME. Really, this DuckStation got a brilliant future. And it's compatibility is very high. Highly recommended.

But still, ePSXe cannot be trashed or perished so soon. At least not upon on me. Because, it may not perfect. But it got a lot of better compatibility than the rest of the PSX emulators out there. And i got a lot of games, from all Regions. And specially, DuckStation doesn't got that charming Filters / Shader effects options and another stuff ( yet .... ) that it already comes inside at the the GpuBladeSoft Plugin. That Plug it's a real Master Piece of engineering, hacking stuff, fixing the Real PSX Real Graphics.

But too bad, the rest of the ePSXe stuff; such like the sound Plugins are very outdated. ( The CD-Rom, Drivers are plain outdated and not useful anymore for today standards ) The Eternal SPU Plugins are the best, but too outdated for today standards and needings too. The DuckStation got a lot of better balance and useful options for the PSX Sounding department. A much much better handlers for the CDDA kind of game discs. Really, it's a good choice as for another new Alternative, rather than ePSXe. But i can still wait peacefully. And The Best, it Yet To Come !!!!!

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
Hi. I recently tested the DuckStation Emulator. It's very impressive. Specially at the PGXP effects. Of course, it needs a lot of good hard work. But assuming that it still as an a "Beta Build", not still as an a "official version". I'm very glad and took my mind blowed so hard.

However. It looks like that this emulator it's maintained, and updating so frequently. It's a good thing. Because, i think. If the authors stills updating frequently; It will blows ePSXe and another emulator turns into dust, IN NO TIME. Really, this DuckStation got a brilliant future. And it's compatibility is very high. Highly recommended.

But still, ePSXe cannot be trashed or perished so soon. At least not upon on me. Because, it may not perfect. But it got a lot of better compatibility than the rest of the PSX emulators out there. And i got a lot of games, from all Regions. And specially, DuckStation doesn't got that charming Filters / Shader effects options and another stuff ( yet .... ) that it already comes inside at the the GpuBladeSoft Plugin. That Plug it's a real Master Piece of engineering, hacking stuff, fixing the Real PSX Real Graphics.

But too bad, the rest of the ePSXe stuff; such like the sound Plugins are very outdated. ( The CD-Rom, Drivers are plain outdated and not useful anymore for today standards ) The Eternal SPU Plugins are the best, but too outdated for today standards and needings too. The DuckStation got a lot of better balance and useful options for the PSX Sounding department. A much much better handlers for the CDDA kind of game discs. Really, it's a good choice as for another new Alternative, rather than ePSXe. But i can still wait peacefully. And The Best, it Yet To Come !!!!!
Dunno why you respond to 4m old thread but I gotta say you're a tad wrong about ePSXe, while it is a bit old now the newest version is pretty much perfect or close, there always will be that 1% of games that won't work or have issues it's the nature of emulation.
It is a shame that ePSXe is more or less dead now with features like HLE and multi threading left broken as for PGXP I understand why it wasn't implemented it's very hacky requiring often game specific fixed to work and very demanding and no one is working on it anymore.
Which is a point that I love about ePSXe it can run on a potato be it your pc or phone with the only other option being pcsx-r which is just broken.

But if you want that PGXP hack and superior emulation and have a beefy machine then RetroArch BeetlePSX is the way, thou RetroArch is a major pain to setup.

Plus CD plugin? It works fine the issue often is a bad CD or a drive that can't read sub channel data which these days would be difficult to get one that can, just play your games from a disc image like everyone else.

As for Duckstation I may give it a test, I mainly play on Android so I won't be using it thou, plus I remember when I was a we lad and a new PS1 emulator came to the world pSX only to be left never to be updated so I don't have much hope for Duckstation.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dunno why you respond to 4m old thread
Because i wanted. And this newer DuckStation needs a real attention. ePSXe, at least the 2.05, might be the latest of the series, but not a newer version anymore. As for i can say. It's the worst version ever created. The 1.60, 1.90, 19.25 and 2.00-1 are the greatest versions. And ePSXe, still the greatest and the king for the PSX emulation. For as i can still say. And i will still on using it for today and for the future course.

But on to have another alternative options, it's always welcome. And for that DuckStation, at my shorter experience; it won't asking you a lot of your resources. But it ask you Windows 10 64-bit as a Primary requirement. Even a 4GB Ram machine can run this Emulator pretty smooth without any complications. But RetroArch it's another story.

However. You can run DuckStation without the PGXP or even without the OpenGL filters. You can on deal with your games as for the native PSX standards ( Software mode ) and still good. Not that bad.

Give it a try. Hope it won't be a deception for you.

P.S. PCSX Reloaded, PCSX PGXP. Sucked so bad. Outdated and obsoletes. ePSXe and DuckStation still better that this.

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
Because i wanted. And this newer DuckStation needs a real attention. ePSXe, at least the 2.05, might be the latest of the series, but not a newer version anymore. As for i can say. It's the worst version ever created. The 1.60, 1.90, 19.25 and 2.00-1 are the greatest versions. And ePSXe, still the greatest and the king for the PSX emulation. For as i can still say. And i will still on using it for today and for the future course.

But on to have another alternative options, it's always welcome. And for that DuckStation, at my shorter experience; it won't asking you a lot of your resources. But it ask you Windows 10 64-bit as a Primary requirement. Even a 4GB Ram machine can run this Emulator pretty smooth without any complications. But RetroArch it's another story.

However. You can run DuckStation without the PGXP or even without the OpenGL filters. You can on deal with your games as for the native PSX standards ( Software mode ) and still good. Not that bad.

Give it a try. Hope it won't be a deception for you.

P.S. PCSX Reloaded, PCSX PGXP. Sucked so bad. Outdated and obsoletes. ePSXe and DuckStation still better that this.
Out of curiosity what is your issue with ePSXe 2.0.5? I have been using it since realese without any issues minus the 1% of games that don't emulate properly, wonder if Duckstation will play Monkey Hero properly.

Again I may test Duckstation but I mostly play on Android devices these days, so I won't have much use for it.
As for it running well on PC I don't doubt it PS1 emulation on PCs isn't that demanding, even my 6y old pc can run BeetlePSX at 16x with PGXP enabled among other settings.
But ePSXe can run even on a pc that's 15y old, all it needs is 1 CPU core at 1.5ghz 2gb of any RAM and a 512mb graphic card that supports opengl2.
That's one major plus of ePSXe, it maybe old but so are it's requirements.

Edit.
Gotta say im impressed, found some time to checkout Ducky on PC nad gotta say NICE, it emulates Monkey Hero perfectly, something that even BeetlePSX can't do, and I found that it also has an android version will check how it performs later.
One small issue thou no PBP support, on the other hand CHKD support so half and half.
Now if there only was an easy way to transfer memory cards from ePSXe.

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
Yes you can. Duckstation can read .MCR files
I'd be really surprised if it didn't, the problem isn't the file format but the naming scheme and that by default it uses MCD files, meaning I can't simply copy and past my 100+ memory card files from ePSXe I have to rename them all manually.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I never use these MCD files. But when at finding some Saved data Files on the web; first i install these MCD files inside at the ePSXe and then i only boot the bios to see if that card it's in a good shape. Normally, some downloaded Cards got the 132kb as it size. For me; it's not a good deal. But if ePSXe; inside at the game and inside at the Bios checking can open it, well. I transfer the data into a new, clean, brand new Memory Card using the .MCR file name sheme with it's 128kb. And everything it's just fine.

The .MCR name scheme it's a more universal format than the others. Normally I refuse like a plague another formats, because are very unestable. But if i want an MC file from the web, with everything unlocked from that game, ohh well ..... but, at least; i can transfer the data contents into a new .MCR file. And life is good.

·
Not a Registered User
1,381 Posts
I never use these MCD files. But when at finding some Saved data Files on the web; first i install these MCD files inside at the ePSXe and then i only boot the bios to see if that card it's in a good shape. Normally, some downloaded Cards got the 132kb as it size. For me; it's not a good deal. But if ePSXe; inside at the game and inside at the Bios checking can open it, well. I transfer the data into a new, clean, brand new Memory Card using the .MCR file name sheme with it's 128kb. And everything it's just fine.

The .MCR name scheme it's a more universal format than the others. Normally I refuse like a plague another formats, because are very unestable. But if i want an MC file from the web, with everything unlocked from that game, ohh well ..... but, at least; i can transfer the data contents into a new .MCR file. And life is good.
MRC = MCD, they're the same both are 128kb it's just an extension, the memory card image is the same you can just change it without the need to convert, as for the 132kb mentioned I dunno what that is, Duckstation creates normal 128kb files.

As for the name scheme I meant the file naming, like so.
ePSXe
SCUS_942.28-00.mcr
SCUS_942.28-01.mcr
Duckstation
Region code
SCUS-94228_1.mcr
SCUS-94228_2.mcr
File name
Adventures of Lomax, The (USA)_1.mcd
Adventures of Lomax, The (USA)_2.mcd

After messing about with Ducky for now here's my thoughts.
BeetlePSX>Duckstation=ePSXe
BeetlePSX despite having to deal with RetroArch offers best emulation accuracy and conveniences of life that Duckstation simply doesn't have among other useful settings like cheats or ability to change the disc read speed which helps with load times in games lik Resident Evil 2.
Duckstation is equal to ePSXe as it does some things better than ePSXe but others worse, like with Beetle it lacks some conveniences and it plays some games better and some worse, I would put it above ePSXe as it is still developing unlike ePSXe but unlike ePSXe Duckstation android version is just bad, it's just bare bones, there's no settings even to map the pad and onscreen controls.

I'll keep an eye on it and maybe one day it will replace my daily PS1 emulator but for now I"ll stick to BeetlePSX for PC and ePSXe for android.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts