Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nakheel - Where Vision Inspires Humanity

Dubai is going to host a building that is over 1 kilometre high!

Dubai, October 5th, 2008

Inspired by Islamic design and geometry, master developer Nakheel announced today that it is building Dubai's capital, Nakheel Harbour & Tower. The new community was launched at a VIP event hosted by His Excellency Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, Chairman of Dubai World.

At the core of the Nakheel Harbour & Tower development is a tower more than a kilometre high and the world's only inner city harbour. The development will cover an area of more than 270 hectares and become home to more than 55,000 people, a workplace for 45,000 more and attract millions of visitors each year.

"There is nothing like it in Dubai", His Excellency Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem said at the launch. "Nakheel Harbour & Tower is located in the heart of 'new Dubai', where we have focused on creating a true community, a location for living, working, relaxing and entertaining, for art and culture. All of this is concentrated in one area."
Dubai really is a happening city and an engineers dream. If I ever get around to finishing an engineering degree, this will be my first stop. The projects there are absolutely mind boggling not only in spectacle, but in practicality the projects are truly groundbreaking.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
They sure are expanding a lot over in Dubai. oO

Too bad it won't cast a large enough shadow to cool down the region. 124 degree summers are a bit excessive! :(

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Everybody that lives in Dubai has a car that can exceed 150mph lol
Damn near everybody that lives there drives a Mercedes. I saw quite a few abandoned Benzes on the side of the road. Apparently, if one breaks, you just buy a new one. oO

Hell, even the cabs are Mercedes.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I can't help but think that it looks like a really cool sword.
(the main tower is the blade, the two on the side are the top of the hilt...)

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Yeah amazing but... just thinking that in 2008, over 980 million people suffered of starvation, malnutrition and thirst, not to speak of all the deseases and wars coming along... I c'ant really be happy seeing that kind of things.

Hell, I hate all rich bastards, not even sharing a penny when they could buy an entire country.
:spy:

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Is this a new project, or just a rename of the Burj Dubai? Cuz the latter was meant too be the tallest building in the world and is also nearing completion.

I really want to visit Dubai some time, its only a 30 minutes flight from here

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
what about abu dhabi.

one of my friends went to dubai for work. (he is an architecture), he sent me a link to this city that has no cars, no fumes, the first green city in the world (currently being built)

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Similar things were happening in tiny tax haven nation Monacco. Now with the economic resession, things are drying up. They were constructing manmade islands there as well for realestate and they had to stop dead in their tracks.

Dubai gets lots of its money from business and connections with its nearby oil based economic neighbors. With the drop in price of oil and worldwide economic ressession its not difficult to see things soon stagnating there in the next year or 2, just like what is happening in Monacco right now.

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
Similar things were happening in tiny tax haven nation Monacco. Now with the economic resession, things are drying up. They were constructing manmade islands there as well for realestate and they had to stop dead in their tracks.

Dubai gets lots of its money from business and connections with its nearby oil based economic neighbors. With the drop in price of oil and worldwide economic ressession its not difficult to see things soon stagnating there in the next year or 2, just like what is happening in Monacco right now.
They are aware that oil isn't etternal. I have heard they are investing heavy to some day rely (even is a little) on high-class tourism. You can't deny it is getting very very chique. :)

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Damn this city is progressing so quickly. it's quite amazing
Go see Shanghai, the futuristic CBD sprouted faster than mushrooms. ;)
I think the latest tower is about 500m. And trust me it's not just the CBD that's new there. Just do an image search for 'shanghai', this is much more impressive than any oil-fatass fake town with no history in the desert.
Beijing shows amazing development too, the typical asian antique/modern mix makes it wierd but fascinating.
Too bad they've sacrificed so many of the old districts (hutong)...

But still the same everywhere on earth: where luxurious skycreapers appear, the majority of the people become poorer, I've seen this enough.
Super-fast-ultra-liberal development is definitely the wrong way for 'emerging' countries.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Hmmm... do you have any examples on this? :p
Well almost everywhere on the chinese coast is a good example, as the economy grows extremely fast and companies settle in big cities, the price of the land skyrockets. Because of promoters and investers the rents become unaffordable (+200% to 400% depending on the districts). People no longer dream about buying, they just desperately look for cheaper housing. This is totally absurd because the building frenzy raised thousands of brand-new housing blocks all around the city but most people can't afford to live there, the average standards of living are still quite low (mid-class is about 1% of pop).
A friend of mine lived in one of these gloomy new suburbs (well the buildings are there but they didn't even finished the roads, almost no buses/subways, no stores, schools...) and he felt quite lonely there, not because he was a foreigner but because most buildings were empty...
In the worst cases you may see entire families moving in growing shanty-towns further outside the city. That kind of sad scenario is repeated in many, many cities of 'developing' countries.

The worst case might be Moscow, where prices are on par with Tokyo or London. Moscow is THE city of 'nouveaux-riches', with the most billionnaires on earth... and the fastest growing number of homeless.

Ultra-fast economic development is irresponsible and barbaric, profits only to the tiny 'business-upper-class' (and I don't know about you guys, but lately i've been hating these lowlives more than ever...).
Curse neo/ultra-liberalism and those who make it.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts

Dubai is like a fast inflating bubble which is probably gonna pop some time soon. My parents have a commercial plot there and prices are ~10% less then they were in July

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
life in dubai just rocks........too much oil money to spend.........damn thats some good architecture those guys made from sand
whats the height of the tower.......they didn't reveal it till now.......have they??<they wanted to keep a secret till its built fully>

1 - 20 of 47 Posts