Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My cpu is E8500 OC'd to 4 ghz. Ever since I got this emulator about a month ago, I noticed that my CPU would be constantly be at 100% while running a game. Since it's common knowledge around this board that PCSX2 is a CPU intensive program, I thought this was normal.

So after reading some topics, I decided to turn off DC mode and my CPU usage went down to 60~80% average. The games, from what I could tell, run just as well as using DC mode.

I've tried the following games:
FFXII
Odin Sphere
Mushihime-sama
Super Robot Wars OGS

For Super Robot Wars, the fps usage went down to 40~50% average.

So to get to my question: What purpose does the DC mode serve? It's obvious that the function is to speed up the emulation but it seems like it's much more stable without it being on. Am I just doing something wrong?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, you doing something wrong. You overclocked CPU beyond the thermal limit and got a problem. The DC mode is old hack that prevent both threads of pcsx2 run at the same core, and if you turn if off, you should not see lot of changes. But if you turn off MGTS (ability to use 2 threads), than slowdownes could not be avoided, unless you playing really quick games.

So better for you to remove OC to less consuming and have MGTS on. It would be optimal.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
without Dual core mode, it works like a single threaded app using Load balancing.

Yes, you doing something wrong. You overclocked CPU beyond the thermal limit and got a problem. The DC mode is old hack that prevent both threads of pcsx2 run at the same core, and if you turn if off, you should not see lot of changes. But if you turn off MGTS (ability to use 2 threads), than slowdownes could not be avoided, unless you playing really quick games.

So better for you to remove OC to less consuming and have MGTS on. It would be optimal.

Um,... LOL gtfo!

·
The Pest
1,820 Posts
Latest PP revisions don't use DC mode, just MTGS and works only a little worse(At least for me)and like 50-60% less load.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Haha.. trust me, it's not thermal throttling, assuming that's what you meant.

Anyways..

without Dual core mode, it works like a single threaded app using Load balancing.
That's what I was assuming. This is kind of the same "issue" I have with Left 4 Dead. With Multicore rendering on, my CPU usage doesn't go below 99%. Even with the option off, though, there are no notible differences.

I'll just leave MGTS on with DC mode off.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
On official builds the dual core option provides a small fps boost at the cost of 100% cpu usage all the time.
Jake.Stine managed to get that same speed without the need for that "active waiting".

·
The Pest
1,820 Posts
For me, it's not the same speed. I've done comparisons and the same scenes are often at least 3-5 FPS slower with DC mode turned off in the new build, and the latest build(that only has MTGS)it's still 3-5FPS slower. Same scene, all the other settings the same, but 5FPS lower. My rig as is it is in my sig, I do not know if it;s because it's a Quad Core that this happens, PP 362 works 5 FPS faster than 393 with the same plugins, settings, ectera.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Depends on the part/scene on the game I lost 4 fps in a scene on FFX (48 fps instead of my usual 52) without DC even on the PP svn but on a couple other games speed was the same.

Generally it's ok to have the DC mode enabled as it doesnt cause much a difference, while if u have a specific problem related to it well play without it :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.