Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new pc, and it has 64 bit tech and dual cores (Pentium D 820)
At this point in time, do these technologies really do anything yet? I hear that most programs dont support multithreading and 64-bit. If thats true, then my computer is running at like 2/3rds of its real speed?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
its not like a 64 bit program is crippled when it comes to 32bit tasks, ya know. and for multithreading, that just means more multitasking for you..

but yeah most programs dont use multithreading or 64bit. but still, it's not like you're losing any speed with that.

·
Registered
774 Posts
With dual cores, if you aren't running multiple programes or running a multithreaded program, you are in fact only utilizing 50% of you CPU power. It's not like hyperthreading, since with that the one core you have will be utilized as much as it can be no matter what. But on the bright side, if dual core CPUs take off then multithreading CPU intensive apps is gonna get a lot more popular. With the 64bit thing, you know for all practical purposes 64bit computing does not increase speed except for with programs that have to cruch large numbers (above 4294967296 to be excact). The main advantage of 64bit computing is that you can address more than 4 gigs memory. And you can't even do that unless you have a 64bit OS...

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe alright thanks guys :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.