Next Generation Emulation banner

DSL...or Cable...or Satellite broadband service?

• DSL

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Cable

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Satellite

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there is a lot that factors into each of these services, but i've been hearing some bad things about satellite broadband (like poor upload speeds and AOL :spy: requirement ) and my dad wants to get it cuz it comes with this cable tv offer. I know the basics on DSL and Cable (we live far from a dsl provider, so dsl isn't as fast as it should be, but i suspect tons of ppl are using cable in the area), but how does Satellite Broadband really stack up to the rest?

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Satellite Broadband really stack up to the rest
All the reports I've seen have been relatively mixed. Namely, if you're not big on online gaming and can find a good provider, satellite isn't all that poor a choice. The problem is that there's an absolute ton of latency when you use a dish to transmit information, so basically your hopes of getting a good ping speed are shot. I'm not sure just why you'd *need* AOL to use your dish, as I know there's quite a few providers of the service, just stay away from Hayes' DirectPC. The reason for this is their rather lame idea that people should have a 'cap' on how much bandwidth they can use. It'll run fine or so for a month then just mysteriously slow down, sometimes to sub-modem speeds. I don't know if DirectPC still does this, but it seems that if a company once used such tactics, they're probably worth staying away from.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i havent heard about satellite internet for years...
it kinda appeared for a few months in my area and then disappeared completely.

what i heard back then was that the dish is only used to receive stuff (download), and you use a phoneline to upload stuff and establish connection etc.

The latency problem is obviously due to the dish part. signals need to travel quite a long distance thru air and space (not a very good "connection" you see).

If ALL you do is download webpages and files, that could be tolerable. But if you do any kinda of online real-time gaming, satellite would be a big mistake, might even be worse than a 56k modem.

overall it wouldn't even come close to either DSL or cable.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, after these explanations of cluthu and takwu (thx to them)
If you hesitate between the cable or dsl system, I advise to choose dsl :It s not upload limited, and (in my country) it s nearly the same fee.
But w/ dsl u must buy a dsl modem which is a bit expensive...
Make up ur mind...

bye

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the suggestions guyz. i'll stop him from making the huge mistake...with whatever it takes... :rockets:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts