Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just moved into an aprtment. We are building a house and we sold our home before the new house was built. Well, what hits me is that there are hardly any people living here. So Comcast doesnt exist in this area. Its Dish Network TV, and DSL (or useless dial-up :lol: ). So my dad ordered Sprint DSL. Him and I were hooking it up last night. My dad's computer has a wireless router hooked up to it. This is for my computer since we dont have wires everywhere(I still trip over the invisible wires :cool: ). Anyways, we got the Sprint DSL modem, plugged it into the wireless router, and tried to get this piece of crap working. At first, when we ran the Sprint Software, it said it couldnt contact our Default Gateway. So my dad messed around a bit and found he couldnt acsess the router setup page. So his computer wasnt communicating with the router. He gave the LAN adapter a static IP and got it working. We got past the default gateway error but then it gave some other error. I forget what. So anways at 12:30am Eastern Time last night he said f*** it and we went to bed. So here I am trying to get this damn thing working. Any ideas?

Wireless Router Model- Belkin F5D7230-4
DSL Modem-Sprint DSL Modem 660 Series
NIC on my Dad's computer- NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller(its integrated)

·
Registered
212 Posts
try hit reset, to get back the default settings :)

ip address: 192.168.2.x (nic)
subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1
dns server: 192.168.2.1

that is default for the model u have, for nic settings

need the error message afaik, for other, might be vmux or whatever setting needs changed to browse, if doesnt show u as "connected" as such

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Techie said:
try hit reset, to get back the default settings :)

ip address: 192.168.2.x (nic)
subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1
dns server: 192.168.2.1

that is default for the model u have, for nic settings

need the error message afaik, for other, might be vmux or whatever setting needs changed to browse, if doesnt show u as "connected" as such
Thanks I'll try that, but its going to be a pain in the ass because right now the DSL Modem is plugged directly into the NIC. Going back and forth is going to be a pain. I'll try your suggestion.

EDIT: Your suggestion didnt work. Let me go in a bit deeper. We did get to the router set up page(forget to mention this in the first post). However, only when the DSL Modem was unplugged from the router. Everytime we plugged it in we couldnt acsess it. My dad did manage to get the router to communicate with the computer while the DSL modem was plugged in, but when we set up the router, it said it couldnt find an internet connection. The DSL Modem does have a set up page but nothing on it helped...

On my router set up page sometimes it said Internet Connection Status: Connected but we had no internet (even with the DSL modem plugged in).

I miss cable modem..... :(

The 2nd error messeage was cannont contact the sprint network.

·
Registered
212 Posts
checked the rest of settings properly? such as handshake, vcp etc settings? against what ur isp uses? also try set the dns servers also, isp should give u the settings u require

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techie said:
checked the rest of settings properly? such as handshake, vcp etc settings? against what ur isp uses? also try set the dns servers also, isp should give u the settings u require
what the hell is handshake and vcp....other than that my dad set the DNS already.

We were messing around with connection settings, we had it on dynamic, then I tried PPPoE still no luck..

i'll check the settings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
heh :) my mistake

i use PPPoA. VPI & VCI settings (mine 0, 38 for my isp) however diff isp

for my isp, hwich is gay i had to set max mtu etc also ;/ to non standard ones

check encapsulation mode

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Techie said:
heh :) my mistake

i use PPPoA. VPI & VCI settings (mine 0, 38 for my isp) however diff isp

for my isp, hwich is gay i had to set max mtu etc also ;/ to non standard ones

check encapsulation mode
EDIT: ok i can get back into the router page. PPPoA? My router doesnt have that type of connection. I was looking in the DSL modem setup page. Would I need to put the DNS adresses in there as well?

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Techie if you dont mind, could you write up exactly how you got the DSL modem to work with your wireless router? I'm having so much trouble.....this damn thing doesnt want to cooperate. I tried PPPoA. Still no luck. Thanks if you can write it up :).

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
We use Verizon dsl here with a Blitz Wireless router. Our settings are that we set the connection type to PPPOE, MTU is set to 1492, user name and password set up as given by ISP. And wireless card manually set IP (we have 3 pc's here and this gives each one it's own unique IP address and port forwarding is configured for each one). Make sure you have a user name and password in your settings in the router if you have to log in with one (many dsl connections require one), and also check your connection status and try choosing connect.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well I know from reading your posts, It would be imposable to help you with out you giving us more info. Is your dsl modem lan capable or are you trying to us internet sharing to share it on the network. Also, you need to get your local network running before you even try to put a internet gateway on it. what model of dsl modem/router are you using. what is the ip range that router uses. stuff like this is needed if you want help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Master Chief said:
Techie if you dont mind, could you write up exactly how you got the DSL modem to work with your wireless router? I'm having so much trouble.....this damn thing doesnt want to cooperate. I tried PPPoA. Still no luck. Thanks if you can write it up :).
its actually not that hard, if you have a usb only dsl modem this is what you do, get the local network running first. everyone has a ip assigned by the router. ok pick a computer you want to host the internet gateway, probley the one closest to the dsl line. Install the dsl usb modem on that computer. in network connections right click on the dialup icon for the dsl connection. under advanced choose share this connection with others on my local network. then it should if u have mult network adapters let u pick what network u want to share it with. if its wireless then choose the wireless adapter, if its wired then choose your wired network adapter. ok this will set your server computers ip to 192.168.0.1 change this to a iprange on the router ex. if the iprange is 192.168.2.0-255 change it to something in that range and you must hardcode it, keep all other settings the same tho. now on the other computers, you will have to hardcode the ipaddress and make the gateway the servers ip address and the defualt dns will also have to be the server computers ip. you can leave the second dns blank. Iv done this with many differnt types of connections from dialup to satt to dsl and cable modems and even t1/t3 it works for them all. if you need more help let me know.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ChaosCode said:
Well I know from reading your posts, It would be imposable to help you with out you giving us more info. Is your dsl modem lan capable or are you trying to us internet sharing to share it on the network. Also, you need to get your local network running before you even try to put a internet gateway on it. what model of dsl modem/router are you using. what is the ip range that router uses. stuff like this is needed if you want help.
The other computers in my network can connect to the router. I can do file sharing. However, everytime I plug in the DSL modem, nothing works. The DSL Modem is a Prestige 660ME-61. The Router is a Belkin F5D7320-4. What do you mean by hardcode? Sorry, but I never had these damn problems with my cable modem. Just plugged right in and away I went....

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have an idea. i had a problem with my dsl and router once (not wireless tho). it was that they both had the same ip address and conflicted. i changed the router to a diff one and then things were working right (they were both something like 192.168.0.1 ... i changed the router to 192.168.0.2)
hope this helps

- Dave -

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Master Chief said:
The other computers in my network can connect to the router. I can do file sharing. However, everytime I plug in the DSL modem, nothing works. The DSL Modem is a Prestige 660ME-61. The Router is a Belkin F5D7320-4. What do you mean by hardcode? Sorry, but I never had these damn problems with my cable modem. Just plugged right in and away I went....
it meens under the tcp/ip settings for the wireless adapter to set the ip to something that cant change. If you dont know how to do this then maybe you guys should call someone in to do it for you. most local techs could set a home network up for 75$

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah, we'll figure it out. My dad and I always find some way. Technicians suck anyway. The sattelite TV was having problems so we called one up, 2 guys came out. One was just walking around doing nothing, the other got the sattelite on our TVs working, but he unhooked 2 of someone elses TVs to do it. So he didnt fix anything. They sent another guy out who had his finger up his ass for the first 10 min and then he fixxed it.

We've set a home network up before. We'll do it again ;-). Its just this damn DSL modem. We had it all working fine with cable(we did it all by ourselves, to) but now with this DSL modem everything is bonkers.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Master Chief said:
Nah, we'll figure it out. My dad and I always find some way. Technicians suck anyway. The sattelite TV was having problems so we called one up, 2 guys came out. One was just walking around doing nothing, the other got the sattelite on our TVs working, but he unhooked 2 of someone elses TVs to do it. So he didnt fix anything. They sent another guy out who had his finger up his ass for the first 10 min and then he fixxed it.

We've set a home network up before. We'll do it again ;-). Its just this damn DSL modem. We had it all working fine with cable(we did it all by ourselves, to) but now with this DSL modem everything is bonkers.
well setting up a network at home and being able to change it to work how you want are 2 way differnt things, you might want to google some networking for dummies info, no offence its just what its called. So you can get the basic networking stuff down before you go and try to setup a gateway.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've set up a home network before, and we'll do it again. Its just this damn DSL. It was working fine with the cable. The network was all set up. Everything was fine. Hell, I'm just going to get a new router. The router setup page will work, then 5 seconds later its dead. I'm going to try a new router.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No more suggestions? And no, I'm not asking how to set up a home network. I know how to do that. I'm asking how to properly configure my router to talk to my DSL modem. I've tried using the "PPPoE" connection type in the router and modem. Still no luck. I've tried numerous other fiddling around with my DSL modem's settings and my router's settings. Damn, I wish it were as easy as cable. Sprint doesnt provide help for third party routers. Any other suggestions from you guys?

Please, no lecturing about how much of a dummy I am. :)

generalplot, I cant set my MTU below 1450 or above 1454. It was at 1454 by default.

The DSL Modem just doesnt communicate with the router. The Activity light doesnt blink, sometimes my computer will say its connected but I get no internet. Wtf??

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
That's weird about your MTU. In PPPoE it should be able to be set at 1492, as this is the default for most ADSL connections. Anyways, does your dsl modem have a built in router that hadles your login? If so, you may need to do what I did. Have your ISP give you a bridged connection and tell them you will have a router taht will handle the login. Does your ISP need a login with username and password? I'm wondering why they won't tlak. If you want to test to see if you dsl modem is logging you in, change your connection type from PPPoE to Dynamic and see if it connects.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
generalplot said:
That's weird about your MTU. In PPPoE it should be able to be set at 1492, as this is the default for most ADSL connections. Anyways, does your dsl modem have a built in router that hadles your login? If so, you may need to do what I did. Have your ISP give you a bridged connection and tell them you will have a router taht will handle the login. Does your ISP need a login with username and password? I'm wondering why they won't tlak. If you want to test to see if you dsl modem is logging you in, change your connection type from PPPoE to Dynamic and see if it connects.
I'm not using Asymmetric DSL, just DSL(afaik). No idea if it has a built-in router, however on the DSL modems set up page theres a mode called Routing that I've switched to Bridged(didnt work however). My ISP gave me a username and password for Earthlink. Earthlink is my gateway to the internet as they called it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts