Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are numerous webpages claiming that DSi games are region locked. But I've been totally unable to find any details about it.
Which DSi regions do exist? How many DSi regions are there?
Is there any tech info on how to identify a games region (eg. by checking a byte in the cartridge header)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The DSI regon lock apply to the DSI Enchanted games , DSi games and he DSIware form the shop.
Normal DS games work , don matter wich region they are comming from

There are 3 regions:
Japan, USA,Europe.
Maybe a 4 australian

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Japan, USA, Europe regions are confirmed to exist?
Yup, Australia might be another region, since the DSiWare list is separating it from europe in some cases. And Nintendo claimed network gaming to be the reason for using regions.
What about China? Or is that part of one of the above regions?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if there is an Australian firmware, then I would expect Australia to be a separate region, also for the region locking.
PAL does refer only to the television standard, which doesn't matter for handhelds with LCD screens.
Did anybody try playing australian DSi games on european DSi consoles (or vice versa)?

There appear to be DSi games that can be played in multiple regions though. Eg. see here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/69958693 (some posts there are for DSi, some for 3DS).

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've discovered that the countries/languages per region are displayed in the DSi firmware options. That info should help to identify all unknown regions.
First of, check if your country is part of the "European Region" (ie. if it's already listed below; the list does also include some african countries). If your country isn't listed, then you are living in an unknown region. But don't worry, that's no major problem. Just boot your DSi (if you do have one), and...
- Go to "System Settings"
- Write down the firmware version (shown on upper screen, eg. "Ver 1.4E" for Europe)
- Write down the languages listed in the "Language" option
- Write down the countries listed in the "Country" option
And, please post your findings in this thread. Easy.

Code:
JP Region
Unknown (supposedly including Japan)

Chinese Region
Unknown (supposedly including China and/or Taiwan)

Korean Region
Unknown (supposedly including Korea)

Australia Region - 2 countries, 1 language (as of DSi Firmware Ver 1.4.5A)
Languages:
  English (only english, there is no language option at all)
Countries:
  Australia
  New Zealand
EDIT: Thanks to einstein95 for info on Australia.

US Region - 47 countries, 3 languages (as of DSi Firmware Ver 1.3U)
Languages:
  English
  Francais (=French)
  Espanol  (=Spanish)
Countries:
  Anguilla
  Antigua and Barbuda
  Argentina
  Aruba
  Barbados
  Belize
  Bolivia
  Brazil
  British Virgin Islands
  Canada
  Cayman Islands
  Chile
  Columbia
  Costa Rica
  Dominica
  Dominican Republic
  Ecuador
  El Salvador
  French Guiana
  Grenada
  Guadeloupe
  Guatemala
  Guyana
  Haiti
  Honduras
  Jamaica
  Martinique
  Mexico
  Montserrat
  Netherlands Antilles
  Nicaragua
  Panama
  Paraguay
  Peru
  Saint Kitts and Nevis
  Saint Lucia
  Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  Singapore
  Suriname
  The Bahamas
  Trinidad and Tobago
  Turks and Caicos Islands
  United Arab Emirates
  United States
  Uruguay
  US Virgin Islands
  Venezuela
EDIT: US countries/languages discovered 12 Dec 2015.

Europe Region - 47 countries, 5 languages (as of DSi Firmware Ver 1.4E)
Languages:
  English
  Francais (=French)
  Deutsch  (=German)
  Espanol  (=Spanish)
  Italiano (=Italian)
Countries:
  Albania
  Austria
  Belgium
  Bosnia and Herzegovnia
  Botswana
  Bulgaria
  Croatia
  Cyprus
  Czech Republic
  Denmark
  Estonia
  Finland
  France
  Germany
  Greece
  Hungary
  Iceland
  Ireland
  Italy
  Latvia
  Lesotho
  Liechtenstein
  Lithuania
  Luxembourg
  Macedonia
  Malta
  Montenegro
  Mozambique   ;EDIT (thanks jimmsu)
  Namibia
  Netherlands
  Norway
  Poland
  Portugal
  Romania
  Russia
  Serbia
  Slovakia
  Slovenia
  South Africa
  Spain
  Swaziland
  Sweden
  Switzerland
  Turkey
  United Kindgom
  Zambia
  Zimbabwe
Note that Nintendo might expand those regions (for example, newer 'european' firmware versions might include additional african countries; unless those missing countries are already part of other/unknown regions).
The purpose of the "Country" option is unknown (maybe Nintendo has servers in different countries for online games). EDIT: The "Country" does affect some options in Parental Control menu.
The "Language" option affects the Firmware GUI, the game title (from Icon/Title structure). Some games are also adopting the Firmware's language setting for choosing the in-game language.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you seen the program NUS Downloader? It can download system update files from Nintendo's servers.
https://code.google.com/p/nusdownloader/

It has a list of DSi system titles it can download, and it has this list of DSi regions included in it:
Code:
41 (All/System)
43 (China)
45 (USA/NTSC)
48 (Belgium/Netherlands)
4A (Japan)
4B (Korea)
4F (Unknown)
50 (Europe/PAL)
54 (Unknown)
55 (Australia/NewZealand)
56 (Europe/DSiWare)
56 (Unknown)
Although, only these ones seem to be used for the system titles.
Code:
China
US/NTSC
Japan
Korea
Europe/PAL
Australia/New Zealand

Also, the program can decrypt the content after downloading if you put the DSi common key(AF...61) in a file named "dsikey.bin" in the same folder as the executable.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I've read about NUS Downloader here, http://dsibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader/database - it's the 2nd most popular page on the wiki, but I've never figured out what it was about. And also heard everybody talking about that 'common key', but never figured out what that specific key could be good for. With your explanatations, it's making a lot more sense!

The 41,43,45,... numbers are looking like the ASCII language/destination codes, found in the fourth letter of the normal NTR/TWL game codes. And with Korea, there are six firmware regions? Would be still interesting to know which countries are listed in the Country option for each region. Ah, or could I use NUS Downloader to get the "System Settings" utility for each region, and then execute it like normal dsi cartridge rom-images? I'll try...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here DSI PAl

Firmware 1.4.5 E

Languages 5 English - Francais -Deutsch -Espanol -Italiano

Countries 47 - Mozambique is added to your 46

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My fault. I skipped that one. The v1.4E version did have Mozambique, too. Many thanks for double checking!

The nus downloader tool is nice (totally uncomfortable, but really useful). Special thanks for telling me about the dsikey.bin file (without that info it would be just uncomfortable and scaring).

The decrypted ".app" files are in fact normal "rom-images" and can be loaded into no$gba.
Except, the Whitelist, Version Info (what's that?), and Wifi Firmware (WHAT is that???) files appear to be some sort of non-executable datafiles, without regular cartridge headers.

First thing I've learned is that system files (and probably dsiware ones too) are allowed to load bootcode anywhere within the 16Mbyte RAM (unlike cartridges, which can't do that because they would crash when running them on older 4MByte NDS consoles).

The system menu requires the new LCD Initialization Ready flag in DISPCNT. That's easy to emulate. It's still bugging on some other parts.

The system settings has only 4 regions in the database, but manually changing the last two digits of the "filename" turned out that it's available for all of the known 6 regions. It doesn't run in no$gba yet, so I couldn't check which countries they're covering.

The region is stored at 1B0h in the cartridge header.
01h=JPN (gamecode xxxJ)
02h=USA (gamecode xxxE)
04h=EUR (gamecode xxxP) (firmware version suffix E)
08h=AUS (gamecode xxxU) (firmware version suffix A)
10h=CHN (gamecode xxxC)
20h=KOR (gamecode xxxK)
FFFFFFFF=Region free (gamecode xxxA)
Other combinations are also possible. For my two cartridges: Cooking Coach is 0Ch (EUR+AUS). System Flaw is 04h (EUR).
North-africa and Middle-east seems to be still missing. Unless they turn out to be part of "Australia" or the like.

I didn't check http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2302 yet (since it requires login to view posts). Does it contain any useful info worth registering?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here the info from that site:

NDSi Enhanced games has region lock. It works very simple. There is a word in game header at offset 0x1b0 that contain bitmask. One bit — one region:

0x01 — japan
0x02 — usa
0x04 — europe
0x08 — australia
0x10 — china
0x20 — korea

so if your console bit is in this mask — you see game icon. if not — no luck.
i made csv file (in attach) with conveniently arranged data from current set.
some conclusions:
1. 49 games with serial V. all can work only on australian and euro consoles. so V means (Europe, Australia).
2. 1 game with serial T. can work on usa and australian consoles. so possible T means (USA, Australia).
3. 2 games with serial O. ufortunally this is pokemon black/white. all pokemon black/white except japanize ones can be run on all regions except chinize. but we can assume that O means (USA, Europe, Australia).
4. 1 game with U serial. australia only.
5. we can use this info to search undumped games. for example:
VBTE Bejeweled Twist (USA) (NDSi Enhanced)
VBTP Bejeweled Twist (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl) (NDSi Enhanced)
according gamefaqs game also released in australia, so cart with serial VBTV or VBTU exists.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, spelling. I was more puzzled by the meaning of the sentence...
"Non-japanese is everywhere except China?"
Anyways, the hex values and the overall conclusions on the 4th letter of the gamecodes are looking right.
"O" was declared as "Int" in older pre-DSi gamecodes. Which should mean everywhere... except china maybe.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've updated the http://dsibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader/database page, added a description and links to the source code / executable. And expanded the database: Added more regions to "System Settings". Added Flipnote. Added Dokodemo Wii no ma (japan only). Added 3DS Transfer Tool (this one isn't freeware though, requires a "ticket"). And corrected the hex values for downloading the DSi Camera, DSi Sound, and Nintendo Zone utilities. And clarified some region names (like "V" for Europe+Australia combo region).
The updated database can be obtained via the Update function in the NUS Downloader utility (exit & reopen the utility after updating).

Testing the system tools in no$gba... DS Download Play works (but is useless) (and actually, it is a NDS executable, running in NDS mode, not in DSi mode). Dokodemo Wii no ma boots (and shows some japanese (error?) message. DSi Sound boots (when skipping over some Teak accesses).

Interestingly, there are actually two utilities using the Teak coprocessor (DSi sound and Nintendo Zone). I was beginning to believe that the Teak hardware wasn't ever used by any DSi software - which would make it even more difficult to reverse-engineer its instruction set.

The DSi Sound utility should be also useful for reverse-engineering microphone access. I am adding a SPI-bus-logging function in next update, that should help on figuring out the microphone access (assuming that it's configured via some "touchscreen" SPI registers).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Australian/New Zealand DSi console has no Language option, is locked to English. Available countries are Australia and New Zealand.

Dokodemo Wii no Ma's error is "本体保存メモリが壊れました。詳しくは本体の取扱説明書をお読みください。", which means that the main save data is corrupt and to check the manual for more info.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Australian/New Zealand DSi console has no Language option, is locked to English. Available countries are Australia and New Zealand.
Good to know, thanks!
Can you check the Firmware version, too?

Dokodemo Wii no Ma's error is "本体保存メモリが壊れました。詳しくは本体の取扱説明書をお読みください。", which means that the main save data is corrupt and to check the manual for more info.
Okay. I came across a few DSi games that told me to check the manual for more info, too.
But somehow, I doubt that there's any useful info in there.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally, US Region discovered...
Code:
US Region - 47 countries, 3 languages (as of DSi Firmware Ver 1.3U)
Languages:
  English
  Francais (=French)
  Espanol  (=Spanish)
Countries:
  Anguilla
  Antigua and Barbuda
  Argentina
  Aruba
  Barbados
  Belize
  Bolivia
  Brazil
  British Virgin Islands
  Canada
  Cayman Islands
  Chile
  Columbia
  Costa Rica
  Dominica
  Dominican Republic
  Ecuador
  El Salvador
  French Guiana
  Grenada
  Guadeloupe
  Guatemala
  Guyana
  Haiti
  Honduras
  Jamaica
  Martinique
  Mexico
  Montserrat
  Netherlands Antilles
  Nicaragua
  Panama
  Paraguay
  Peru
  Saint Kitts and Nevis
  Saint Lucia
  Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  Singapore
  Suriname
  The Bahamas
  Trinidad and Tobago
  Turks and Caicos Islands
  United Arab Emirates
  United States
  Uruguay
  US Virgin Islands
  Venezuela
If I am not mistaken, that's covering north & south ameria, surrounding islands, and even parts of africa and asia.

That's leaving only three unknown DSi regions: Japan, China, Korea.

NB. a side note on the system menu's "Language" settings: Some DSiware games (are trying to) adapt that setting as in-game language. The previous owner of my DSi seems to have purchased a localized "German/French" multi-language game, and the poor game does default to use "French" because I've selected "English" as system language ;- )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts