Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, 17th December 2004
Yeh, I know I haven't added much recently. I'm burned out right now, taking a break.

Mind you, I've been assured by a knowledgeable friend that nearly all DS development won't bother using the advanced ARMv5 opcodes, hence all I've had to do is add CLZ and I'm ok (for now).

I'm considering changing the name of the emulator, since it's gonna be forever before I can begin emulating a DS. Someone suggested "GBAemu 0.00000000001b", doesn't sound so bad. Also been hearing criticism towards the fact that I'm working on GBA before moving on to DS. I'm not sure people realise the similarities; the DS has two of the GBAs GPU cores, and a near-identical CPU. It seems wise to start on a GBA base.
Well, i guess a name change would create less confusion. Aniway you can check out the home page here

·
Registered
144 Posts
What confusion? Currently DS development is impossible. We can't yet dump a cart because there is encryption involved. Research and development has been limited to the wireless and very little else. Even if emulation or native hardware development becomes a technical reality--which would still be a long way away--it's probable that it won't be legal to do so thanks to the DMCA.

If people bothered to inform themselves of such things, rather than confine themselves to the wishful speculation of "Gee, the DS sure is nifty. Would be even better if we didn't have to pay for them", they would understand this. Take an hour to browse the gbadev.org DS section and educate yourselves.

This guy is feeding all of the speculation with his garbage. People see that there's a DS emulator, albeit in name only; have no preexisting knowledge to outweigh their ignorance; and figure that it must be a technical reality, the manifestation of which is just a couple months away. And unsurprisingly, they're all wrong.

Currently there are people whom are making real progress and putting real effort into hacking the DS, all of which is completely unrelated to this bozo's work. If he ever writes a DS emulator, it will undoubtedly be because those other individuals decided to share their findings publicly.

It's not "wise" to start with GBA, it's the only avenue possible because very little is even currently known about how the DS operates. He's not taking a break, he just can't proceed any further without the aid of a time machine. The fact that he chooses to spin the reality of one thing by calling it another clearly shows how contemptible he is, even if he ultimately has the best of intentions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think that resolving to calling him a 'bozo' helps matters. Either way, many emulator authors rely on the information found by other 'hackers' and such to make their emulators, so I really fail to see the problem with him using the information found by those individuals researching/hacking away at the DS to code his emulator.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll assume you meant "resorting", because resolving is technically accurate but doesn't fit with your response. Thusly, I am not resorting to anything. Of all the words I can think of, 'bozo' fits about as aptly as any other, and ultimately 'I calls it likes I sees it'. So yes, I resolved to refer to him as a bozo. I don't believe he deserves anything more.

I think I explained my position fairly well in the News comments\DSemu 0.0.1c released thread:
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showpost.php?p=816824&postcount=10

Regarding the public dissemination of information and it's utility in personal projects, I fully understand how the relationship works and have no quarrels. I think that this particular person is undeserving of any credit for the reasons I have outlined. But the comment I made above regarding real progress isn't meant to be taken in the way you have. I'm stating that his so-called DS "emulator" is a distraction from that real work, not that there's anything wrong with him profiting from it.

The irony of this, as I mentioned in that initial statement, is that if the dsemu project is ever hoisted into the realm of serious and legitimate development, it will be on account of the current legitimate work being done which his project currently mocks.

In order to elaborate: the work of these hackers are what we should be paying attention to, because within that area is where all the meaningful discussion and progress is currently taking place. All this DS "emulator" has created is speculation and baseless conjecture about a range of things, few or none of which are even a certainty yet. But now I'm mostly repeating myself from the other thread. Suffice to say that the one is contrary to the other; and between intelligent discussion productive to actual progress, and vacuous conjecture, I know which side I'm supporting. Therefore this places me in direct opposition to the dsemu project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That dirty *******. Doing something to better understand the workings of video game hardware. He should be shot. What kinda world are we living in, where people can use other people's information to understand things? People like that should be shot.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Then please don't ever go to school/high school/university again, as you are using the information other people (Descartes, Pascal, Galileo..., just to name some that i hope will sound a bell for you) discovered to understand things. I always thought from the beggining that calling it DSEmu even before the DS was out was a little misleading, but many people making emulators have started on top of the information already avaliable. Please try to consider the whole picture before letting yourself get carried away.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
baby steps .. it is still in very early development. The majority of first time projects start from scratch and develop slowly when little info is out to help them. I remember being one of the first people to try out PCSX2 when it was first announced as a PS2 emulator, yet it hardly emulating much of the PS2 at the time. People made the same type of arguements then as well .. but like I said it has to start somewhere and someday it might be a DSEmu in a true sense or might contribute to another future project. Only time will tell.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SSJBatMAN5000 said:
Maybe if you went to school/college/university, you'd learn of SARCASM. :lol:
didnt look like sarcasm to me. please refrain from adding comments like you did...i dont want a sumitted news thread to end up locked for unessacery bashing :S :???:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts