Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a new version of DSemu is now avaliable for download. DSemu is the first emulator in development to try and emulate the new Nintendo DS handheld. Since the Nintendo DS is still quite new, DSemu only functions as a early GBA emulator for now. Here is some news that was posted on the DSemu site:
  • Thursday, 9th December 2004

Ok, so maybe I haven't actually changed any code, but it was still high time I versioned up. So it's here, the All New And Shiny 0.0.1c! Have fun.

Monday, 6th December 2004

A few issues have been highlighted recently. First of all, the emu crashed a heck of a lot on customers' computers. I tracked the problem down to a stray line in the Pause menu option; all good now!

Also. There've been quite a few files missing from the Zip archive which cause compilation to fail. I've managed to put those in, and I've tried to make the Makefile a touch more portable.
» Source: <A HREF="http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58218" TARGET="_blank">Chrono Archangel</A> (gotta luv him :p)

» More info, screenshots, and download of DSemu 0.0.1c can be found at their <A HREF="http://dsemu.oopsilon.com/" TARGET="_blank">homepage</A>

·
Registered
2 Posts
DSEmu

Isn't this emu only getting attention because of its name ?

It's bringing a lot of confusion and should be renamed (IMHO) accordingly (something like GBAEmu 0.000000001b).

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
I think its great that the next round of handhelds are in development. the other DSemu that is in the making that I know of is http://ndsemu.com/.

·
Extra Terrestrial Visitor
210 Posts
"First of all, the emu crashed a heck of a lot on customers' computers."

I'm a little curious as to why he calls the program's users customers instead of users or players. Does he intend to make the emulator commercial or was that just a bad choice of words?

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Saucer said:
"First of all, the emu crashed a heck of a lot on customers' computers."

I'm a little curious as to why he calls the program's users customers instead of users or players. Does he intend to make the emulator commercial or was that just a bad choice of words?
dunno, its probably a bad choice of words :p
emu authors know by now they cant make an emulator commercial without having the companies on there a$$

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, it's certainly amazing that he's managed to lay claim to developing an emulator when it's not even possible to dump a DS chip yet, and the future of DS development is still uncertain. Considering the cryptography involved, it's not even known currently if DS emulation or development will be legal much less technically possible.

So considering the reality of all of this, it means that the author of DSemu must be some sort of time traveller from a not-too-distant-future. Either that, or is a complete hack and this emulator is about as stupid as the Playstation 6 emulator I can start making by creating a Windows form in .Net and labelling it "Playstation 6 emulator".

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
aperson said:
Well, it's certainly amazing that he's managed to lay claim to developing an emulator when it's not even possible to dump a DS chip yet, and the future of DS development is still uncertain. Considering the cryptography involved, it's not even known currently if DS emulation or development will be legal much less technically possible.

So considering the reality of all of this, it means that the author of DSemu must be some sort of time traveller from a not-too-distant-future. Either that, or is a complete hack and this emulator is about as stupid as the Playstation 6 emulator I can start making by creating a Windows form in .Net and labelling it "Playstation 6 emulator".
hey man have respect for emu authors... If you would follow the scene a little you would know that he doesnt hide the fact that he's only working on the GBA part right now because lack of documentation.

He also mentionned in the latest update on his website that he will probably change the emu name because alot of people like you jump to conclusions

·
Registered
144 Posts
Chrono Archangel said:
hey man have respect for emu authors... If you would follow the scene a little you would know that he doesnt hide the fact that he's only working on the GBA part right now because lack of documentation.

He also mentionned in the latest update on his website that he will probably change the emu name because alot of people like you jump to conclusions
Rather than run through the gamut of repeating myself, I'll just refer to my other post:
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=816812#post816812

In other words, I'm about the last person on the planet to be jumping to any conclusions. On the contrary, I've decided to inform myself. As a DS development hopeful, with high expectations and plans for game design if and when the native development becomes a reality, I have a vested interest in the work being done by people like those at gbadev.org

Meanwhile, this bozo slaps together some code, none of which is related to the DS due to the impossibility at this time, and calls it a DS emulator. By doing so, all he's managed to do is fuel endless speculation from a range of people, especially those with the simple aspiration of never having to actually buy a DS game, on account of their ignorance.

But moreso than this is the fact that DS emulation is not yet anything close to a certainty, either from a technical or a legal standpoint. These are the sorts of things people looking toward DS emulation should be made aware of, and his little project is the antithesis of it all. It completely ignores both of these poignant realities while fostering a belief in people that the complete opposite is true.

I have nothing but kind words for emulator authors, but this person is not among them. His project is a sham, with equal merit to my aforementioned and quite imaginary Playstation 6 emulator. I'm sure he has good intentions in someday providing a free DS emulator to people, but the qualifying word in that sentence is *someday*. Not today; the intelligent thing to do today is pay close attention to the work of the crackers as they figure the DS out, then when we have the necessary facts real progress can be made.

This "emulator" creates no progress nor does it contribute in any way other than to the virulent conjecture which overwhelms serious discussion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
To amend what I've written, if I am interpretting the following post correctly then it appears that a rom has been successfully dumped:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4667

There is plenty of other progress to examine as well. In this post the user Darkain reports about the wireless multiboot packets:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=32267#32267

Considering that Nintendo had all the resources and time in the world to make their machine as hack-proof as feasibly possible, and the DS hasn't even been on the market for a month yet, these people are doing a remarkable job. I'm looking forward to the development of emulators (this dsemu project or otherwise) as well as the native dev kits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts