Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
35,081 Posts
No, its not compatible with windows 9x. There have been no Win9x driver since the geforce FX iirc

· Banned
35,081 Posts
without a vendor driver installed direct3d will not be available.

What is your PC, it might be choppy because of load balancing

· Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 2 old games i want to play but don't work well on windows xp... that's why win98...
So you're saying it's impossible for me to play these games?

Revenant is choppy in winxp
Sacrifice crashes when starting the game...

Isn't there a way to get direct3d on win98 on this system
E6400 @ 2.6 Ghz
Geforce 7900 GTO
2 GB RAM DDR2

· Banned
35,081 Posts
I have 2 old games i want to play but don't work well on windows xp... that's why win98...
So you're saying it's impossible for me to play these games?

Revenant is choppy in winxp
Sacrifice crashes when starting the game...

Isn't there a way to get direct3d on win98 on this system
E6400 @ 2.6 Ghz
Geforce 7900 GTO
2 GB RAM DDR2
when you run revenant, set the applications process to Affinity 0 in task manager.

you WON'T get that hardware running on Windows 98 at all.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
both Sacrifice and Revenant should work on Windows XP without any need for compatibility modes. though you can force 2000 compatibility to force it to single processor mode.

Download the latest patches for both.
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sacrifice/download_2766082.html
and follow this guide for sacrifice http://blog.macuyiko.com/2008/10/sacrifice-revisited.html

http://www.plunder.com/Revenant-Patch-1-22-download-763.htm
When starting Revenant, go to Advanced Options and set Chunkcache and Preload Sector Size to Maximum if your system is reasonably fast and with more than 128Mb RAM (and Details as well, if you have a 32Mb vid card or higher).

Start the game (if you get an error that says it can't find the CD, just click OK- it will start), go to Options and turn Limit Game Speed Off. and disable Surface locks
The game limiting is the cause of the stuttering. unfortunately its either stuttering or too fast, though you can fix the toofast up by using 60hz and forcing Vsync on Revenant.

and install
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E9-B581-47B0-B45E-492DD6DA2971&displaylang=en

· Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im gonna try that as soon as possible. Squall nice find.

I tried to install windows 2000 and use the windows 2000 drivers from nvidia.com but it said it could not find a corresponding chipset/device when i tried to install it.
While my videocard is on the supported list of the driver.
Or can virtual machine only use default drivers?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Virtual Machine can only use the default vga driver.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
only in the Freeby VMs, some of the for cost VM's provide hardware access.

· Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
both Sacrifice and Revenant should work on Windows XP without any need for compatibility modes. though you can force 2000 compatibility to force it to single processor mode.

Download the latest patches for both.
Sacrifice Patch 3 for PC Download at GameSpot
and follow this guide for sacrifice Bed Against The Wall: Sacrifice Revisited

Revenant Patch 1.22 - revpatch_122_us.exe download - Plunder
The game limiting is the cause of the stuttering. unfortunately its either stuttering or too fast, though you can fix the toofast up by using 60hz and forcing Vsync on Revenant.

and install
Download details: Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
I tried forcing Vsync on revenant using nvdia control panel, and disabling no speed limit in revenant, result is a game at 10x speed still. Soo still have the problem...

Sacrifice Works now ! thanks
Though i have a couple of questions.
1. At start of game, it asks me direct3d HAL or direct 3d T&L Hal which is the better one?
2. Which is better, Detail or bump mapping textures?
3. Texture filter, Bilinear, Trilinear or point. Which is better?
4. Which sound provider is best? I have an eax 4 compatible soundcard + surround speaker.
I assume it's Eax 2 or Directsound Hardware? (there is also 3-4 other direct sound software options)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.