Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may sound weird(and it'll be hard to explain), but every so often, when playing games, the game(whichever) may simply "stop" for a few seconds, and once it goes back to normal strange things happen. They have nothing to do with the games themselves, nor are they problems of requirements of the like, if you're are wondering.

A few examples are:

The Last Remnant: Colors get distorted to all hell. I've come to see Rush with green hair once.

Devil May Cry 4/Prince of Persia 2008: A texture(just a plain texture, as if taken from an image file) overrides the screen. The sound keeps playing, but I can't be sure if the game actually still runs.

Warcraft 3: This was a weird one, and the only one I have a screen of. Everything simply went nuts.

I haven't seen this happen to any other of my games thus far, and the Warcraft 3 one happened only once. The one in the other games seems more common(enough so that it happened 7 times while playing TLR the last hour).

I've tried changing my video drivers several times, even back to ones from long ago, to see if it still happened. And seriously, I doubt it's a problem with the drivers themselves.

Any ideas, guys?

Oh, and here's the screen of W3 I have. I'll see if I can get one from TLR soon.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/b42adf29ade2d95a92ccaf78756d6a20fea97d04.png

EDIT: Just to be sure it isn't really a problem of the drivers I want to do a clean install of them. Would just removing the drivers via the control panel work, or is there need for any external applications?

EDIT 2: There's the screen for TLR. For some reason, 3D renders weren't affected when I took that screen, but you can see that the HUD was, as was the "blood" coming out of the frog(that blue/violet thing in the middle).

As a final note, ALT+Tabbing out and then into the game have solved all of these problems, but it still is annoying.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
what drivers are you currently using? do you have any overclocking done to your hardware?

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No overclocking done to the GPU. As of now, I have nVidia's 181.22 drivers, though the 182.50 are sitting there, waiting to be installed. Resolution can be seen by just taking a look at the screens(1440x900, as it's the native for the monitor. Anything lower just looks like crap).

IF it were the card overheating, why would ALT+Tab solve it? Also, I COULD see that happening with, perhaps, some of those games. But what was the deal with W3? It IS true that lowering the resolution let me play Prince of Persia without having the aforementioned problem, but...

Oh, and again, can someone list the best procedure when it comes to updating drivers? Just to be sure that this is not caused by old files conflicting with the new ones.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Oh, and again, can someone list the best procedure when it comes to updating drivers? Just to be sure that this is not caused by old files conflicting with the new ones.
I've heard that booting up in safemode, removing the drivers, then rebooting to install the new drivers, and finally rebooting again to finalize the installation is the best way to do it.

I, however, have had no problems whatsoever just installing the new drivers without doing anything with the old drivers first.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not at home right now, but I tried doing a clean install of the drivers and the problem persists. I am wondering wether it is a overheating issue or not.

Such being the case, how much would it cost to set up a water cooling system? It might be going overboard, but I've been wondering for some time now. Components to be cooled would be GPU and processor only. The rest doesn't really heat enough to warrant the use of water cooling(and I can always use a normal fan along with the water system, right?).

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I'm not at home right now, but I tried doing a clean install of the drivers and the problem persists. I am wondering wether it is a overheating issue or not.

Such being the case, how much would it cost to set up a water cooling system? It might be going overboard, but I've been wondering for some time now. Components to be cooled would be GPU and processor only. The rest doesn't really heat enough to warrant the use of water cooling(and I can always use a normal fan along with the water system, right?).
FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

run this program. It will max your GPU and give you a maximum temperature that it runs at. Talk to Nvidia or look up a specification for the highest temp they say is safe to run a card at. If it stays below that safe limit; it isn't a temp issue.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
get a program called driver sweeper, it can remove all the old driver files left around on your HD if there are any.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Done that already. Didn't solve it, though.
Still not home, so checking for temp will have to wait(at least another...6 hours? Damned university).

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did some tests at 1440x900, with Xtreme Burning mode, with and without 4x MSAA. The result is pretty much the same. 76ºC minimum, 103ºC maximum. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is quite hot. I'll see if I can get some info with GPU-Z while playing TLR to see how hot it gets then.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know. GPU-Z confirmed it, as the temp peaked at 103.2 while playing. So...what do you guys suggest? I have two fans(excluding the one that comes with the GPU itself) and they are clean. The case has several air vents all over(except at the front), but due to it's location it has little place for air to go to(below my desk, next to a wall and 30-40 cms away from another wall behind it).

Any way to get me out of this mess?(and no, I can't place the tower anywhere else, sadly).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.