648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbeled upon this site.
This guy is crazy or what??? oO

Anyone cares to try :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
that translation is so bad it doesn't make any sense.
he's running tokyo extreme racer 2 on an oc'ed dc. ok. what's the deal?

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i dont see any reason for that also, but it is always fun to see people do crazy things.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well my understanding of the engrish is that it was jerky and choppy before and the overclock has made the game less jerky. Sounds plausable.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
I remember some Japanese shop overclocking Game Boys :p

S

·
0 Posts
I can't recall that game being jerky.
well, it might be jerky, but every console is smooth compared to a pc's standard :p

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Well, Record of Lodoss War, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue I/II could use a bit of overclocking... if I were well versed in hardware I'd definitely try this...

S

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't.
DC games are generally optimized for, well...a DC, a certain set of specs.
e.g.; I have a 7mhz switch on my MSX2 (thats twice the normal speed) but it's rarely useful, since it messes about everything up, speed-wise.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Well, I know a couple of persons in here who overclock their GFX cards, I'm just thinking that maybe the DC could benefit from that... or maybe it'd screw everything, I just wonder...

S

·
0 Posts
it's only useful if say, you develop a homebrewn game that requires just that little more mhz to run better (or an emu on dc). But for the regular stuff, nope..

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Considering most emulators speed on the DC then it'd certainly be useful... I've seen some frame rates of the GBA project posted on a forum and they weren't even something you could call low.

S

·
0 Posts
true, but then something like a switch would be better ....the original games usually require the original speed.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Kaiser Sigma said:
Considering most emulators speed on the DC then it'd certainly be useful... I've seen some frame rates of the GBA project posted on a forum and they weren't even something you could call low.
It would be nice for DreamSnes of SuperFamicast as well.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I have a pc here, and it runs SNES very well, though not with the HQ3 option :p

I prefer playing these games lying in my bed on my DC ;)

And my DC ain't poor, he should be very happy, since Shenmue 1 and 2 are on it's way from the UK :D So it will get all the attention it will need the next couple of months ;)

But still I really want to see full speed snes emulation, and GBA would be nice as well. Though the DC can't handle the largest rom sizes because of the lack of RAM memory.

But about the overclocking stuff: If you are able to get more power out of the dc which will make the games run faster, won't they be slowed down automaticly? Or don't those games have a framerate limiter?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh come on, over clocking your DC? thats a great idea!!
there would obviosly be speed benefits for emulators, and home brew'd stuff, but Im not to sure for games. they tend to be optimized for the DC, as in, they should almost always be running at 60/50 fps..
I guess Im saying its only really useful if you dont really play games on it, but use it for coding.. and stuff heh

·
Registered
774 Posts
This is pretty awesome. :thumb: I'd try it myself, but I've had some, *ahem*, bad experiences with soldering, and I could never risk ruining my DC.

EDIT:
Samor said:
true, but then something like a switch would be better ....the original games usually require the original speed.
You mean like this one?:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Samor said:
get a pc and leave the poor DC alone! :p
Ppppffff PCs are unreliable... when yours die for a whole month and you are stuck with your DC you sure wish it could run a bit faster :p

ChrisRay said:
I had Record of Lotoss War. Rare Rare Dreamcast game. Wish I hadnt sold it.
Nowadays it's quite common in Ebay... you can get it new for less than 15 bucks...

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Try Record of Lodoss War on the Sega CD, now that's even more rare ;)

As for the Dreamcast overclocking, well it does look intresting to say the least...

Yours,
-Elly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts