Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Oilslime
77 Posts
did they just say that fortunately Sega lost the battle?

...that was a low blow, really :(

*hugs his Dreamcast* there there, boy...
If you listen carefully you can make out unfortunately. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I'm wondering how long they kept producing them / how much stock there is remaining...

ah, you're right. I heard it all wrong. :eyemove:
This from a gamer who owns a PS2? :evil:

Yeah I own a PS2 as well... :innocent:

But I keep my PS2 in one room and the Dreamcast in another... Having both hooked up to the TV might be as bad as crossing the streams... :???: :evil:

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
actually, mine are friends =P
yes, both hooked up to the same tv too. They get along well... I'm keeping the 360 in the other room with the pc though, because the older generation would be jealous of the graphical capabilities. The pc and 360 tolerate each other, they seem quite evenly matched.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
You're stepping on dangerous ground now koko...

And well, we all know the PS2 is a brilliant Dreamcast stand so that it won't have to stand on the dirty ground. I wouldn't mind getting a new one for myself one day.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the dreamcast concept was sound... it just failed to get off the ground unfortunately :(

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
The Dreamcast was a great idea and had a few issues been ironed out it could have done better, the GDROM protection wasn't that great, NOT having EA games on the Dreamcast hurt, people still angry about the previous hardware failures (Sega CD/32X/Saturn) was also a negative...

I really enjoyed my Dreamcast and still like the system.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
the dreamcast concept was sound... it just failed to get off the ground unfortunately :(
The concept was brilliant: A pure gaming console that is easy to develop for yet having great processing power. On top of that online gameplay out of the box and great games in every genre. It put the foundations of Xbox Live, and every Xbox fan certainly owes a lot to Sega in this aspect. They were too far ahead of their time in an era when people wanted their stuff to be well marketed and extremely mature. In the current market the DC would've done a lot better if only it had Nintendo's marketing. Back then all these mature games were hip, Sony catered that market with God of War, GTA, and that "Murder simulator" of which most people now already forgot the name again. Provided most of these violent series still sell well, they're not what they used to be like that, not in this politically anti-videoviolence climate where family values need to be promoted.

Sega was too naive in their marketing approach when it came to Sony and the momentum it had.

The Dreamcast was a great idea and had a few issues been ironed out it could have done better, the GDROM protection wasn't that great, NOT having EA games on the Dreamcast hurt, people still angry about the previous hardware failures (Sega CD/32X/Saturn) was also a negative...

I really enjoyed my Dreamcast and still like the system.
The GDRom was a great protection mechanism, it still can't be read by any PC drive (except 1 or 2 after heavy modding), it's the complete absense of protection in the Dreamcast itself that did the trick. Again, a bit naive, unfortunately.

The reasons you put up are indeed valid, but I still think that marketing did most of the damage. Sony was too powerful there while I can't recall having seen a Dreamcast add once. It wasn't even for sale in the largest gamestores in Holland, no exposure whatsoever.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
This from a gamer who owns a PS2? :evil:

Yeah I own a PS2 as well... :innocent:

But I keep my PS2 in one room and the Dreamcast in another... Having both hooked up to the TV might be as bad as crossing the streams... :???: :evil:
:lol: I have 3[4 sitting in front of it, the one that's not hooked up being the Genesis I got from Goodwill for $4 with no hookups..]consoles hooked up to my tv: PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube[XBOX/Wii's in the living room..]. Nothing wrong with that. I grew up a Nintendo fanboy but came to love nearly all consoles. I have like 10 or 12 now..

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Ironic that the Wii is killing the Playstation 3 with Sony at this point. I think the Dreamcast could have beaten the PS2 had better games been available *as in more*, the first gen of PS2 games were not earth shattering...

In fact most of this generation (PS3/Wii/XBOX360) games aren't that earth shattering...There are "good" games but not that says this generation *of consoles* has eclipsed the previous generation of consoles.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Hmm, I love many Activision games on the Atari 2600 and a number of NES games.
Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, XBOX, WIi (Including Gamecube) those are my favorites...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Well, I wasn't really old enough to get full enjoyment out of the NES and earlier systems, so what I grew up with[SNES and N64; I HAD and still do have an NES, the same one from my childhood, but I often preferred the SNES/N64 more] started the Golden Age for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.