Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I got my free demo disc in the mail a few weeks ago, havent played it yet though. I just got my free slime keychain today however :p

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Guyver2K5 said:
had anyone played it yet?
I can't seem to stop playing it. All my family is busy with the new smackdown and Need For Speed, but Dragon Quest VIII is the one that has me hooked. It's kind of a mediocre story, but it's the closest thing I've seen to a classic RPG in a long time.;)

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
It's okay. The way it makes you save your game is annoying, though. And what's with that "Do you want to continue" prompt afterwards, I keep mashing 'cancel' out of habit and getting dumped back at the intro.

-.-"

·
band
4,912 Posts
The Captain said:
DQ8 is lots of fun. I think it's the closest thing we will ever see to a 3d version of Chrono Trigger.
thats wat i was gonna post :(

but yes DQ8 is a very fun game that everyone with a ps2 and a vague interest in rpgs should get i think.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
it'll probably take me a while to attempt playing this one. i'm still feeling the effects of DW7 from a couple years back, and quite frankly, i don't think i can handle a light-hearted rpg like DQ8. maybe later... when i've run out of rpgs to play.

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Exodus said:
it'll probably take me a while to attempt playing this one. i'm still feeling the effects of DW7 from a couple years back, and quite frankly, i don't think i can handle a light-hearted rpg like DQ8. maybe later... when i've run out of rpgs to play.
Yea, I have really been looking foward to playing DW8 for some time. (Yea, I know, but it will always be "Warrior" to me. Thats one change I think could have been left alone.) The battle system and graphics both look really nice.

As for DW7, I am playing through it for the first time right now, starting about a month ago. My GOD this is one long farkin' game. oO The energizer bunny of console RPGs, it is. I have put in ~40h, and I am only ready getting ready to whup up on Galcos(sp?). Seeing as how I visited gamefaqs when I got stuck at this one part (it was something obvious and stupid, of course), I realize I may have another 30h of gaming left, and that doesnt count level earning and playing all the little mini games. Dragon Warrior 7 is one hell of an RPG, and super long to boot. :bow:

Of course, as soon as I beat it I plan to run out and buy DW8. :evil:

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

PS Does DW8 have an option to turn off voice-overs?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
god, i suck at this game, ive died and re-entered that stupid gave like 4 times already, i keep getting stronger but not enough to pass them... :|

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
Another annoying thing is the menu options. Like in dialogs, when you ask about something. Suppose after reading something, you wanted to go back up one step and select a different option (like with those NPCs who give game hints). You can't just press 'cancel' to back up one menu and choose a new option, oh no, it's not that simple. You gotta quit and talk to the NPC all over again. Not to mention the large number of generic NPCs with unchanging one-liners, oh yeah. And the world map. How do you view it? You don't press a key, nope. You gotta wait a couple seconds doing nothing and it automagically appears. Convenient, right?! :???:

I'm trying to enjoy the game, dammit, but there are way too many annoying little things like this.

P.S> Framelimit toggling and save states... another reason emu authors deserve cold, hard cash.

·
[Insert Ad Here]
333 Posts
hushypushy said:
god, i suck at this game, ive died and re-entered that stupid gave like 4 times already, i keep getting stronger but not enough to pass them... :|
Same here, that damn Tortured Soul gave me a tough time. I died 3 times before deciding to do some lvl training. I got through that fast since I was able to kill some metal slime in the area though it took a little while. Anyway I leveled up 3 times, killed that pesky soul, and I'm off to continue my journey. :D

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
I'm at the point where I got an ancient boat and can go sailing to an island. Used a mirror to get the curse lifted on the temple. And I've already turned the horse back to the princess (which didn't last very long cause the magic is too strong :p). I'm having to build up levels before I can try that temple though cause I keep getting wiped out. And the really good equipment is really expensive, and I'm still only making ~200 gold per battle, but to get all the max stuff, it's like near 40,000 gold.oO
The only thing that really bugs me about it is how slow it is to open/move through a menu. And having to go to a church to make a "confession" in order to save. Is this game made by Roman Catholics or something?:p

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
Almost forgot... art (or chara designs, at least) by Toriyama Akira of Dragonball fame. Did you notice that almost all the cute girls look exactly like Bulma? Like when Jess was shouting at her mom and you were watching from the side. Like 2 peas in a pod :???:

I don't like or dislike his drawing style, but frankly, I've been seeing too much of it recently and my eyeballs are rebelling.

:eyemove:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ShadowDancer said:
I can't stand in this game how the random battle monsters are so freaking tough. I shouldn't be leveling up my characters to fight the random battle monsters, I should be leveling up to fight the bosses!
yep, thats what ive been doing. i level up and finally i get killed, return to the cave, level up, get killed. i figure i do this cycle 4 more times or so and i can finally get through this damn cave. i quit playing for a while just because of that. it's just sitting on my PS2 while i play Ocarina of Time

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.