Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragon Age: Origins will use a simple disc check instead of SecuROM digital rights management, BioWare has said.

"We're happy to announce that the boxed/retail PC version of Dragon Age: Origins will use only a basic disk check and it will not require online authentication," writes community manager Chris Priestly on the official forum.

"In other words, the retail PC version of the game won't require you to go online to authenticate the game for offline play. We have chosen not to use SecuROM in any version of Dragon Age that is distributed by EA or BioWare."

More info:

Dragon Age won't use SecuROM DRM News // PC /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

·
Oilslime
79 Posts
If the only thing I knew about the game was no DRM nonsense it would be reason enough to buy it :D

My best friend has gotten computer viruses twice because of rootkit DRM on music he purchased. He never opens any attachments and has no questionable surfing habits, only connecting to the internet once a month (something's wrong with him, I know). Meanwhile I'm virus free after a lifetime of beta testing browsers with known security issues and surfing the nine hells of the internet. My secret? I don't let Sony music within ten feet of my PC.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
hopefully we will start seeing more of this. i dont mind the typical CD check every now and then with games, its only a minor inconvenience/annoyance for me, but this secuROM BS has got to go.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
hopefully we will start seeing more of this. i dont mind the typical CD check every now and then with games, its only a minor inconvenience/annoyance for me, but this secuROM BS has got to go.
Ironically I now think the following:
"Ah nice, so it'll be easier to get the game to run without the disc check so that my disc won't get damaged"

I love to run games without DVD because they are usually pretty vulnerable, and a tiny scratch at the wrong spot can cause such checks to fail. I'm really happy to hear this cause it encourages me to buy it, and convinces me that I'll have an equal chance on running the game without problems as those who pirate the game :)

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Still not a fan of CD checks... Kind of annoying to have to have the disc in there - and I don't even typically play more than one game at a time. But I guess it's better than anything online check related.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
well id take a CD check over something like secuROM any day of the week.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Knowing bioware, they'll remove the nocd check after the 2nd patch.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
If you're making an analogy to Neverwinter Nights, you should do it properly;)

Knowing bioware, they'll remove the nocd check after the 12th patch.
Which should be about 3 years from now.

At least it's not published by Atari.

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Knowing the fans, there'll be a "patch" to remove CD-checks real quick like. That, or just having an image of the disc...

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Dont know why when i'm watching a trailer for this game Gothic jumps to mind oO
Dunno why Bioware is jerking around on the trailers. I've played Dragon Age and I don't feel any of the trailers accurately represent the actual game. It's more like a blend of KoToR and Baldur's Gate gameplay.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Dunno why Bioware is jerking around on the trailers. I've played Dragon Age and I don't feel any of the trailers accurately represent the actual game. It's more like a blend of KoToR and Baldur's Gate gameplay.
I haven't played KoToR, but your comment hypes me up for the game even more :D

·
Banned
35,081 Posts

i WILL love this game. no doubt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.