Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the one I play-tested at Bioware and it was very awesome.
It's out in a couple weeks and Steam recently got the rights to sell it. It's only 50 bucks on Steam and the Steam version comes with a couple of in-game items. FYI. Also, obligatory "I, for one, welcome our digital distribution overlords"

Can't wait.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
I'm cautiously optimistic. I like most of Bioware's games but their DLC strategy for Dragon Age is disgusting. Offering you to pay for content that's probably already on disc. Scamco all over again. If you pay for that you're part of the problem.

Anyway, the trailers I saw were horrible but the previews are positive, so I'll wait for some reviews from gamers and review sites to come out. Until then, I have Risen and The Witcher to keep me from going nutso.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Imo the trailers are not that terible (except the first ones):

I think i will like this game to, will probably get my hands on it when its out. Though there's no rush even if i finished Risen i still have .hack// to finish :lol:.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I'm cautiously optimistic. I like most of Bioware's games but their DLC strategy for Dragon Age is disgusting. Offering you to pay for content that's probably already on disc. Scamco all over again. If you pay for that you're part of the problem.

Anyway, the trailers I saw were horrible but the previews are positive, so I'll wait for some reviews from gamers and review sites to come out. Until then, I have Risen and The Witcher to keep me from going nutso.
On the other hand, I'm sure it will be epic without it. Hell, with Bioware's games it's impossible to even see everything the first time around anyway. They put in double the characters allowed in your party, and quests depending on them and decisions you made.

Also, there's nothing more than a disc check on this game, piracy's a given, I suppose this is a way for them to ensure some extra income. Micro transactions are a semi-proven concept in MMORPGs and I think this way they want to bring it to vast games like this as well. Still, I wonder how big the difference in effectiveness is between Securom and a disc check, both are cracked on day one anyway.

I'm rather cautious with this game for another reason: The character creator crashes on me as soon as I click on "New Character", when the game has to load. I'll try before I buy, not worth taking the risk. I can always place an order afterwards :)

One thing is for certain though: There's good times coming up for the PC gamer.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yay another dark and gloomy WRPG *waits for Drakensang - The River of Time*

Not to mention with so many choices having to be made it's quite possible I could play the game and miss half of it...no thanks.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yay another dark and gloomy WRPG
absence of cartoon != dark and gloomy. Matter of fact, the play-test I did at Bioware was set on a bright, sunny day.

Not to mention with so many choices having to be made it's quite possible I could play the game and miss half of it...no thanks.
Yeah man. Choices suck. :rolleyes:
Much better to keep people on the railroad.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yes, at least that way you don't cheat them out of game content.

Anyways I guess I will reserve further judgment till I get a chance to check out the full Bestiary.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
absence of cartoon != dark and gloomy. Matter of fact, the play-test I did at Bioware was set on a bright, sunny day.
Hey Spy, i'm disappointed, that was addressed to the wrong person...

I'm the one with the animation fetish :p

Though more seriously i agree with Spy, the colors and the glittering of armors goes in contradiction with your dark and gloomy statement :p. Can't wait to play with that red haireded gal :drool:

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I hope the Dragon Age Wiki is missing some creatures cuz it's looking pretty sad at the moment (with the majority of creatures consisting of brown, gray and dark red (usually blood stains or body parts displaying flesh in zombie fashion)........

Nice Ogre by the way...it hope they label it well in the game cuz it looks to me like a skeleton wearing a minotaur costume.
File:Ogre.jpg - The Dragon Age Wiki - Dragon Age, characters, creatures, and more

And for those of you who want to look at the rest of the gloomy cast
Creatures - The Dragon Age Wiki - Dragon Age, characters, creatures, and more
Notice there's not a single neutral sunny field or anything behind any of those monsters...just dark and gloomy colours (although I admit not all are in the game yet)

Let's contrast shall we and show some monsters consisting of more than 3 dark colours or one overriding colour.....
Monster Families - The Last Remnant Wiki - Characters, quests, walkthroughs, and more

I always hear talk that these WRPG games consist of more than just doom and gloom but virtually every screenshot I check tells me otherwise...

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
Much as I hate to admit it, Schumi has a point, but the lack of diversity and color in Dragon Age doesn't bother me. As long as it's fun to play and the story is enjoyable, I couldn't care less if I was killing white or rainbow colored skeletons and I'm pretty sure most will agree with me.

Sorry Schumi, but WRPG's aren't for you and I don't see why you feel the need to complain in every WRPG thread ever created on ngemu's forums. If they bother you so much, complain to their respective developers.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Much as I hate to admit it, Schumi has a point, but the lack of diversity and color in Dragon Age doesn't bother me. As long as it's fun to play and the story is enjoyable, I couldn't care less if I was killing white or rainbow colored skeletons and I'm pretty sure most will agree with me.

Sorry Schumi, but WRPG's aren't for you and I don't see why you feel the need to complain in every WRPG thread ever created on ngemu's forums. If they bother you so much, complain to their respective developers.
I complain cuz I like RPGs but for some reason on PC they are all of the doom and gloom variety, it's just more of the same over and over again but for some reason unlike in the FPS genre doing complain that it's just the same old thing...wtf is up with these double standards?

I just keep on hoping against hope that my PC will be able to give me just 1/10th as much RPG Goodness as my GBA or DS are cable of giving me and every time I get my hope shattered to bits.

Also another problem with this particular game is the name, Dragon Age - Origins...I should be loving it based on that name, but I hate it.

Mainly I just rant cuz I can't get the RPG fix I want on PC.

That's what a second playthrough is for... Sounds like you're not into replay value.
It's the gameplay (in other words in an RPG the combat and crafting systems) that determines whether I want to play it again, not how much content I missed in the game.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I complain cuz I like RPGs but for some reason on PC they are all of the doom and gloom variety, it's just more of the same over and over again but for some reason unlike in the FPS genre doing complain that it's just the same old thing...wtf is up with these double standards?

I just keep on hoping against hope that my PC will be able to give me just 1/10th as much RPG Goodness as my GBA or DS are cable of giving me and every time I get my hope shattered to bits.

Also another problem with this particular game is the name, Dragon Age - Origins...I should be loving it based on that name, but I hate it.

Mainly I just rant cuz I can't get the RPG fix I want on PC.

It's the gameplay (in other words in an RPG the combat and crafting systems) that determines whether I want to play it again, not how much content I missed in the game.
Your problem is stemming from the fact that JRPG developers get scared ****less when they look at the pc market.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
indeed JRPGS are really getting super boring. Mind wiped pre-pubescent boy, who in the past, was some super powerful person=story of 50% of jrpgs. Other 50% is village burned down, father killed, left behind powerful artifact, go and get revenge.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
indeed JRPGS are really getting super boring. Mind wiped pre-pubescent boy, who in the past, was some super powerful person=story of 50% of jrpgs. Other 50% is village burned down, father killed, left behind powerful artifact, go and get revenge.
Well um lol.

None of those things happened in any FF game. I only remember the village burning in Jeanne D'arc, and that game was far from cliche.

Stereo typing is kind of fail.

Now maybe you want me to give you a rundown of WRPGs and Shooters? Which are much more generic.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
well the new jrpgs are very stereotyped. Tales of vesperia, Magna carta, valhalla knights. theres a bunch i just got that are all like that but arent even worth commiting to memory

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.