Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if you already own the discs for a playstation game, is it still illegal to download them off the internet? I mean, you legally own the game so...

Also, lets say that maybe one of your discs is scratched really bad, won't play, skips, etc. In other words, your disc is crap. You can't get the info off the disc in order to make your own ISO, or whatever the lingo is, I'm not sure. To remedy this, you simply download them off the internet. Is this bad? I mean, assuming owning the disc makes the download legal, I personally don't the see the issue. I very possibly could be wrong if it's still illegal even when you legally own the game.

I am against piracy, don't get me wrong, but some people are just really lazy or computer deficient. To sum up, if you own the game is downloading still bad? If you don't own the game, downloading is bad!

I'm not trying to incite a riot or anything. Just start a stimulating discussion :)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
This has been asked before. (search much?)

It's still illegal. If you didn't make a copy of your own game before you screwed it up, then tough ****. Downloading someone else's copy is illegal. No ifs, ands, or buts.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Nintendo doesn't write the laws. Hell, according to them, emulators are illegal despite various courts of law concluding otherwise. It all just means that Nintendo will give the benefit of the doubt for 24 hours... then they get angry. You don't want to make them angry. :(

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
the 24 hour thing is total BS, downloading copyrighted material is downloading copyrighted material any way you cut it and that is illegal, past or current ownership is irrelevant.

the backup stipulation most publishers allow is very narrow and it states that the current owner of the disc is the only person who is legally entitled to create and use backups of that game disc. if the disc becomes broken, lost, or sold to someone else then they lose the right to make or use additional backups of that copy and any existing backups must be destroyed.

granted, this is all rather difficult to enforce but that is how the legal aspect of all this works for the most part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the 24 hour thing is total BS, downloading copyrighted material is downloading copyrighted material any way you cut it and that is illegal, past or current ownership is irrelevant.

the backup stipulation most publishers allow is very narrow and it states that the current owner of the disc is the only person who is legally entitled to create and use backups of that game disc. if the disc becomes broken, lost, or sold to someone else then they lose the right to make or use additional backups of that copy and any existing backups must be destroyed.

granted, this is all rather difficult to enforce but that is how the legal aspect of all this works for the most part.
Alright, I didn't know if there were actual court proceedings about emulators. Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you saying though that when we do make a back-up for a game, if we lose the disc, we have to destroy the back-up?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
well its more like this, how can you prove you own the product, sure you can show a receipt that you have purchased it but it can be stolen... having a physical origional product in handis undeniable proof that you own it (unless that is you have stolen it, still under the backup law it is considered a transferrence of ownership)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Took me a while to really understand why it is illegal if you download a copy of a game you own. If it is the same version and everything what is so bad about it I thought.

I think it was refraction on the pcsx2 boards who had a great analogy about downloading an ISO off the internet even if you own the game. Basically is getting a copy of someone else's game in addition to your own.

Said it would be the same as if say, your Final Fantasy X disk broke or got scratched up to hell one day. You go to the video game store and just grab a copy of FFX off the shelves and walk out with it.

So basically even if you own a broken disk unfortunately you would have to buy another copy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took me a while to really understand why it is illegal if you download a copy of a game you own. If it is the same version and everything what is so bad about it I thought.

I think it was refraction on the pcsx2 boards who had a great analogy about downloading an ISO off the internet even if you own the game. Basically is getting a copy of someone else's game in addition to your own.

Said it would be the same as if say, your Final Fantasy X disk broke or got scratched up to hell one day. You go to the video game store and just grab a copy of FFX off the shelves and walk out with it.

So basically even if you own a broken disk unfortunately you would have to buy another copy.
I think this best summarizes the law, as well as the moral values, behind downloading the ISO of a game you already own.

It's unfortunate, but it is the law, and something everyone will have to come to grips with.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
Alright, I didn't know if there were actual court proceedings about emulators. Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you saying though that when we do make a back-up for a game, if we lose the disc, we have to destroy the back-up?
according to the law in most cases, yes, but as i said earlier, that is something that would be extremely difficult to enforce and i doubt it is really taken into consideration by people who pirate stuff. in the end what is left to determine whether a person would actually comply with that part of the law is morals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
according to the law in most cases, yes, but as i said earlier, that is something that would be extremely difficult to enforce and i doubt it is really taken into consideration by people who pirate stuff. in the end what is left to determine whether a person would actually comply with that part of the law is morals.
I agree. It all comes down to morals. I don't really consider myself someone with the greatest morals, so to say, but someone who will follow a law. Usually though, laws are made with good morals in mind.

What confuses me though is this:

Isn't a backup something you have in case something DOES happen to the original? It's in the name, BACKUP. Why do people backup system files on their computers? So that if something happens to their computer they can still access those files they backed up. Now, in the event that something does happen, let's say you DO destroy those backups. Now, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the backup in the first place? I mean, if you were going to destroy it it would've been easier to have just not made the backup in the first place.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
well when dealing with a damaged or broken disc you do not really have to destroy any backup made from it, that is a little different. that part of the law concerns when the physical game disc changes hands or is lost from your possession. broken or damaged does not actually mean you no longer have it, so as long as you do still have the disc (or what is left of it), use of a backup made from it beforehand is still legit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, that makes more sense. I was very confused for a moment. A lot of my FF discs are to the point where they're starting to miss in the playstation. I didn't want to have to destroy the ISO's I had made.

I think we pretty well cleared up my question. On a side note though, I think it's pretty cool that there have been actual court proceedings about this kinda stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.