1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you DC fans out here.... [insert echo here]

:p

GPF said:
DOSBox - Coming soon to a dreamcast near you !!!
Posted on Fri 14 Oct 2005, 5:30 AM

I've got the shell running so far on my dreamcast hardware, still needs some work and don't know how fast , compatibility ,sound etc are working yet. Still need to figure out how to mount the dc gdrom as a drive to load dos games from also.

Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Some more news about the DC port which I dug up in the official thread at DCemu:
ron said:
Thank You very much TROY, for allowing me participate in your project.
The DosBOX, was yesterday recompiled with SDL127 by Chui, with 129 doesnt run yet.
With the SDL127, the video now allows to select the startup in 50 or 60 hz.

Some features:

- Based on DOSBOX 0.60 (0.63 eats the ram)
- Source is C++ and fully dc compilable
- Actually without any optimization, the emulated CPU is a 368, running on DC at 6/8 Mhz.
- Emulated video card is VGA
- DOS is integrated into source, now working on /rd /cd & /pc in order to mount drives and images.
- Does not mount any drive at the moment.
- Dreamcast Keyboard Fully compatible

At DCiberia.net you can download a video of the emulator running.

Soon more news and Thx TROY.

-------------------------------------
From my point of view, with a proper optimization this emulator can reach 12 / 14 Mhz emulating 386 and VGA. That means that lot of games designed for DOS will run very nice. If you see the pics, look at the ammount of available RAM. Isnt't bad !!!
Now a long way is in front of you, I think this project is real and can be at end done in Dreamcast.
Cheers,

Cid H.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xRock said:
wow after some time there is something to look forward to in the DC scene (the other being the SNES emu) :D
Let's see, there's NesterDC SE, which promises to be the most complete, diverse, and compatible NES emulator so far.

There are some ambitious homebrew games being worked on. (I just found a port of a game by bungie ;) link

Superfamicast is still on hold, hopefully Scherzo will pick it up once NesterDC has been finished.

Neo4all is progressing nicely. I haven't posted any news about updates on it but perhaps I should do so in the future. There might be plenty of NeoGeo CD fans here. :)

BlackAura is working on Genesis emulator, of which most aspects are working fine, except for sound emulation. Give it some time and we might see next to perfect Genesis emulation.

Personally I think there are quite a few things to look forward to :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Give it some time and we might see next to perfect Genesis emulation. (on DC)
I seriously doubt that. At most you would get full speed and most of the video right (minus for some games using jackwad timing), but the sound would still be on genecyst level. You couldn't reproduce hardware bugs either.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know sound emulation is the biggest problem of the Genesis. Here's a post by BlackAura where he's referring to the Sega Smash Pack, which is basicly an official emulator by Sega, known for its crappy music.
BlackAura said:
No, the MD doesn't use MIDI or anything like it. It uses FM synthesis, which you can't really emulate except by doing FM synthesis in software. That's kind of slow, which is probably why Sega didn't bother. They basically had some pre-generated sounds, and played them back instead of properly emulating the sound hardware, which resulted in it sounding like crap.
BA is trying to emulate the FM synthesis that's done in the real Genesis but because it's done in software this is what really slows the emulator down and there will only be a small chance we will ever see a fullspeed+sound emu for DC. But perhaps he will find a solution, I certainly hope so :) But I have to agree with you it's going to be quite an accomplishment and I don't know if it will ever happen.
ps. That's also why I said next-to-perfect emulation :)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm not an expert on the Genesis hardware, all I'm doing is taking info from other forums trying to give you guys a little more information. So I might as well be wrong, if so, correct me so that I might learn from it :)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
F-3582 said:
oO Didn't the Genesis utilize a YM sound chip? Of course it also uses samples, but alot is done by midi, AFAIUTK...
Yeah, it uses a YM2612. I remember reading somewhere that it does do FM synthesis although I can't remember where. Perhaps it was the Gens readme or Dark Watcher's console website.

Edit: Dark Watcher's site has some info on it here.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Very cool!! Luckily I have actual old PC hardware required to run old DOS games.:) I even have an XT with an 8088 processor and an original Sound Blaster 8bit ISA, for those really ancient timing sensitive classics.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I think my old computer should be able to run most of it, if only I were a bit more proficient with dos and its commands :(
I still have an old SB16 isa :)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

GPF posted some screenshots over at DCEmu Forums
GPF said:

very cool to play some Commander Keen on my dreamcast, still got some optimizations to do and figure out why sound isnt working, maybe a dosbox.conf issue or still have some coding issues to work out

Troy Davis(GPF)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Pretty cool. I wonder if it'll run the PC release of Star Control 2 on the DC. :p

Cid Highwind said:
I know sound emulation is the biggest problem of the Genesis. Here's a post by BlackAura where he's referring to the Sega Smash Pack, which is basicly an official emulator by Sega, known for its crappy music.
AFAIK, that official emulator "by" Sega is actually down in its core some KGen version from Steve Snake. Just take a gander at KEGA Fusion, and you'll see he was able to get the sound pretty much spot on after all these years of research and coding. I'm with Borisz, though. I think the results shown (or heard :p) in Fusion are quite a bit demanding for the DC to emulate next to the essentials.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.