Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that XP has DOS sound emulation but I'm not satified with it. The sound effects is good but the MIDI isn't emulated. This one game I have uses MIDI for the sound and music so for now I'm stuck using the PC speaker. It sounds A LOT better using MIDI. Anyways, I want to know if there is a better way (or a better program) to have DOS sound with better sound and MIDI. Thanks for any help. I hope this has made sense.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I suppose its only to be expected, the more releases of windows the less important becomes the command line. As XP is based on the 2k kernel there really is not actual dos. Anyways I think your best be is to find an old ms-dos boot disk and use that to run the game from.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
yes that sound work ok. However the set blaster line for the sb live is different to that of the sb16. I think you can find it on creative's web site

ps right thread this time ;)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by Snake785
Well, I have a Sound Blaster live Value and I want to know if I use my regular SB16 drivers, could I load them up in DOS using a boot disk. OR can I just use the SET BLASTER cmd line?
doesnt the sblive have some sort of sb16 dos emulation? i remember seeing that once before..

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SBLive! Does have SB16 dos emulation but I think it's only under Win95/98.

I just tried to use the SB16 dos driver but when the program is loading it won't load the driver. I made a screenshot of the error message it makes but I don't really understand it. Does it show up because XP doesn't allow other programs to access the BIOS or something?

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by Snake785
I forgot to say, I found out about an autoexec.nt. That is the autoexec.bat for XP. In there it says that if I use a SET BLASTER cmd line it will work but it only support Sound Blaster 2.0 and not SB16 :( .
There's a project for a program to get SB emulation under NTVDM (NT's DOS Emulator). Not sure if it's any good, but you can get it here .

[]s Badaro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts