Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
IS the CMD.exe not working for you i havent tired any major gaming but wolfenstien 3d and doom seem to run off it.

Honestly i use the Bochs x86 emulator to run a dos 6.22 or dos 7.0 setup full emulates a pc running a genuine copy of dos and or windows its nott he easiest to setup but once u know how it aint hard at all and you have no limitationsthat u might run into as with dos emulators since your running the real thing on emulated hardware.

Main Points are your using a hard drive image but other then that you can set it up to access floppy drives and cd drives wether images or real hardware. Under unix/linux its possible to use bochs with a rawdrive but your running XP.

If you do a search on bochs you get it if you need any help at all please feel free to message me I can answer any questions about their emulator.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Personaly, I use VDMsound to get the bulk of my games working. Older ones don't like that, so I use DOSbox/D-Fend for that

·
Eh??
1,737 Posts
DosBox is very compatible. And if you configure it well, u can run most DOS games with perfection. I was able to play Crusader: No Regret at full speed, without Frameskip, and with a perfect sound!

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Yeah, DOSBox is just great. I use it for all my old gaming needs.

BTW, I miss the days I played No Regret... "No pity, no mercy, no regret" :evil:

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones to actually own old hardware. I have an 8088, an 80386 and several different speed 80486 and Pentium chips just lying around. With all the other hardware as well, including 8bit and 16bit ISA video cards, 8bit and 16bit ISAsound cards, motherboards, .;) Best of all, I got all the parts for free.:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Esturk said:
I must be one of the lucky ones to actually own old hardware. I have an 8088, an 80386 and several different speed 80486 and Pentium chips just lying around. With all the other hardware as well, including 8bit and 16bit ISA video cards, 8bit and 16bit ISAsound cards, motherboards, .;) Best of all, I got all the parts for free.:lol:
I have a ton of old stuff lying around too :p. I just don't have very many old games to use on them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
How was No Regret? I only played the first one (No Remorse). If you played that one too would say its better or worse, I know one of my friends got Regret but I was into something else at the time. I'll have to get it from him to check it out (if he can find it. These old games find a way of dissapearing sometimes).

·
Eh??
1,737 Posts
Lobo said:
How was No Regret? I only played the first one (No Remorse). If you played that one too would say its better or worse, I know one of my friends got Regret but I was into something else at the time. I'll have to get it from him to check it out (if he can find it. These old games find a way of dissapearing sometimes).
No Remorse and No Regret are both great. But No Regret has a better level design. On the other hand, you can't buy things, like you could in No Remorse.
The graphics are better on No Regret, but not by much. Both have some fantastic songs and some great FMVs!

Anyway, I would say that if you like one, you'll surely like the other one. I have them both, and I've played them many times!

·
___GANTZ Fan Boy___
406 Posts
Is dosbox works with game that use dos4gw/protect mode?

Cause I can't make it work (lockup after launching .exe file)

I tried Duke 3D,Return to Zork, Cobra Mission and Knight of xentar, but none of it works. Maybe i did something wrong?

·
Eh??
1,737 Posts
Well, Duke Nukem 3d works, but its very slow. Actually, even Doom works slow on DosBox, unless you have a GREAT machine. Most first person shooters works a bit slow on Dos box.

DosBox runs almost every dos game ever released, including protect mode games (like Crusader, see above). But you have to configure it right. Make sure you are using DOSBox v0.63, and use the Dfend frontend to configure it easily. I was able to run Ultima 8 at full speed, and w/o frameskip after I've configured it using dfend.

·
___GANTZ Fan Boy___
406 Posts
Okay, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
PrTv, your sig is larger than the allowed limits; it's 5'53kb too fat, 20px too wide, and 12px too tall. Please resize it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used DOsbox to run X-com 2 terror from the deep however, it is very very slow, my PC... well, cannot play new games also cannot play old games...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Well the best way to play DOS games is in DOS. It's easy enough to find a copy nowadays.. Sure some games won't run properly on fast hardware (Early Ultima games for example), but many will. Do a dual boot with DOS or Windows 9x.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What the hell. Don't run Duke 3D or Doom with DosBox. Use Jonof's OpenGL port for Duke3D and the Doomsday engine for Doom engine games. Those should work fine on your PC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts