Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its an older game. But I wanted to take screenies of it anyway. Last time I played it was on my single 6800 GT AGP system and I settled for 1156x864 with 4xAA/16xAF ect. Undergoing a few upgrades. Either SLI or my new monitor. I can now play this game @ 1600x1200 with 4xAA/16xAF. This game really is beautiful. I just love bump mapping.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Imageshack is going sluggish right now. Wont load pictures.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Game is really demanding. While I am easily able to maintain the 60 FPS @ these settings. My cards definately are warming up. Increasing room tempatures. I dont think my system will ever see the return of the side of my case again. Not with SLI anyway. 2 Geforce 6600GTs or 6800GTs produce alot of heat.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
*Sigh* all this technology and we still can’t give our game characters proper ears. Oh well, maybe next year.

By the way, congratulations ChrisRay. Your computer system is extraordinary. I can only imagine the system it would take to match your exact technical abilities.

But don’t forget there is more to life then computers. So take a break once in awhile and do something non technical, yet rewarding.

(Oh, also have you tried the HDR Doom 3 and Half Life 2 mods? (also in far cry I think)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hushypushy said:
playing with Vsync there chris?
Yes. But my refresh rate is 75. Doom 3 has an internal tick calculator which limits the game to 60 ticks which will register as 60 FPS. Its not really comparable to vsync because the idea is to keep the game in sync. :)

*Sigh* all this technology and we still can’t give our game characters proper ears. Oh well, maybe next year.

By the way, congratulations ChrisRay. Your computer system is extraordinary. I can only imagine the system it would take to match your exact technical abilities.

But don’t forget there is more to life then computers. So take a break once in awhile and do something non technical, yet rewarding.

(Oh, also have you tried the HDR Doom 3 and Half Life 2 mods? (also in far cry I think)
Computers are both work and a Hobby to me. When I post stuff like screenshots and play games Like Doom 3 and WoW. I am definately doing the Hobby side. Not to say I dont enjoy the kind of work I do. I absolutely love doing these things. Ahh my dream is to get enough experience and presence and eventually run my own hardware website.. In time anyway :smash:

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It definately looks better at higher resolutions ;) More screens please :)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
ChrisRay said:
Yes. But my refresh rate is 75. Doom 3 has an internal tick calculator which limits the game to 60 ticks which will register as 60 FPS. Its not really comparable to vsync because the idea is to keep the game in sync. :)
ahh yes, thanks for reminding me chris. i forgot about that.

personally i dont play with vsync. it messes with the mouse sensitivity and movement. i get some tearing in CS1.6 but oh well.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Looks really awesome, I'm looking forward to playing it again starting from monday, when I get my 6800u :)

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
ChrisRay said:

Computers are both work and a Hobby to me. When I post stuff like screenshots and play games Like Doom 3 and WoW. I am definately doing the Hobby side. Not to say I dont enjoy the kind of work I do. I absolutely love doing these things. Ahh my dream is to get enough experience and presence and eventually run my own hardware website.. In time anyway :smash:
there is a tool to turn off that 60fps lock. i forgot what it called but i used it. its a tweaker which tweaks the game for nvidia and ati cards. by letting u select ur card company nvidia or ati. then tweaking it for that card. besides getting rid of the lock.

i dont remember the program but when i come cross it again i'll post a link to it.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
/me slaps cwissy

Amazing shots man.. better than the mock ups id made to show off the game.. oO

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got a chance to play again. And before anyone says so. Yes I am cheating. I have already beat the game. I just want to play it through with a little pump action and enjoy the eye candy. So I give myself all the weapons. I know about disabling the internal tick calculator. I do it when I am doing benchmarks of the game. But I leave it on and vertical sync. Because I maintain the 60 FPS barrier constantly and its completely smooth to me. I rarely if ever drop below 60 FPS.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
It's annoying. HL2 gets all the probs for looking good, when it uses old style techniques to do so. It's high quality textures with nice water. Doom 3 goes all out with effects to make it look good, but because they use lower detail textures than HL2, everyone says it looks crap.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
HL2 does look better overall ( Except for one place were they used a crappy low res texture for a controller of a elevator.. don't ask me why ) ..... it doesn't matter what techniques is used... however the shadows in doom 3 they are superb.. besides I often prefer high-res textures over mid-quality bump-mapping ( it gives doom a artificial look )

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
ChankastRules said:
HL2 does look better overall ( Except for one place were they used a crappy low res texture for a controller of a elevator.. don't ask me why ) ..... it doesn't matter what techniques is used... however the shadows in doom 3 they are superb.. besides I often prefer high-res textures over mid-quality bump-mapping ( it gives doom a artificial look )
i don't think Doom wasn't trying to look real, it was trying to look unique, which it definately succeeded in, and it provided to the atmosphere of the game. Half-Life 2 had nice textures and physics (physics not even being part of the source engine) but that wasn't really enough to redeem it from the "generic first person shooter" status i gave it before it came out. They both had some decent things going for them in graphics, and what they did well they did very well, but Half-LIfe 2 didn't give me the "holy crap!" response that Doom 3 did when i started playing it.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
That's my point: HL2 was using established techniques which had been used numerous times before. They just extended upon them with ninja size textures. Doom 3 was using funky features which till then we hadn't seen used like that. The idea that low poly models can be used because of the use of normal maps. The dynamic lights/shadowing techniques.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Doom 3 is better graphicly, but HL2 is just better to look at...I mean black does get old after a while....and you never saw anything like water or whatever...I liked them both but I only got half way through Doom and I beat HL2...I couldn't stop playing HL, I think I beat it in 3 days...and I never play games anymore it seems...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts