Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
link

John Carmack @ 8/9/00 said:
Depending on how our next project actually turns out, I certainly wouldn't rule out a Dreamcast version, but at 16MB of memory, whatever we do, our next project is going to be more linear in nature so it should be easier. It might be a matter of turning every mission into a half-point or something like that, but that involves much more work. It's going to be a matter of going back in and actually redesigning some of the levels. And that would be a significant undertaking--it would require new content, significantly new code architecture, and all that. Now PlayStation2 is a more interesting question, because it's halfway in between the Dreamcast and Xbox on memory, and it's got a good processor, but there are some sticking points with the graphics that are just really, really unfortunate. PlayStation2 took the tack of having the simplest graphics rasterizer that it can get and because it's all embedded DRAM it's blazingly fast on there, but there's some capabilities that just aren't there.

One of the primary functions of our next-generation technology is trying to do everything with bump-mapping and dot products, and that math just isn't there on the PlayStation2...I'm not sure if it's going to be able to do the full-impact stuff we can do on the Xbox. We could certainly do a cut-down version that will run on the PlayStation2 and Dreamcast, but it won't have the incredible next-generation graphics look that we're going to see on the next generation of PC chips.
When I read this article my first impression was wtf?! oO

How on earth would it be possible to have it running on DC. Of course this artible was from 2000, so it's obvious they didn't have the same kind of graphics in mind that eventually showed up in the game.

He also mentions BumpMapping on the DC, however, I have hardly seen it being used in any game, perhaps someone can point me out to some ingame examples? I only got the impression of the usage of bump mapping in Shenmue 2 at only a few moments.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jup I know, I think I read it in an FAQ as well. But I can not recall many games using it, so I was hoping someone was able to give some nice examples :)

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
OO, I didn't even know it could do anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering... and even bump-mapping?!?... the DC was truly amazing for its time.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/me slaps ChankastRules around with a PS2

Of course the DC does FSAA, why else do we keep saying the PS2 sucks for not having it :p

Seeing most of those features does give me the impression some of them were underused, such as Anisotropic filtering and BM.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some respect for ya ;)

:evil:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
w00t dreamcast stilll rulez! ;)
also dreamcast has better sound than ps2... and I personally think DC has a lot of more games with better graphic quality than some PS2's games. In the lasts games realesed, DC showed up its best graphics. Although its hard to do it, I believe someday to see Doom 3 running on Dreamcast (even in very poor fps).
/Miretank and Cid aka Dreamcast's fanboys :D

EDIT: offtopic but, that black DC in Cid's pic reminds me an old R7 DC of a friend of mine. Unfortunately, he had to sold that preciousity =\

·
band
4,912 Posts
DC has better sound??? i love dc but thats pretty much impossible since ps2 supports optical out as well PL2 (still surround in a way), DD5.1 and DTS .... unless if ur talking about the seesaw loading sounds it makes ...

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I always thought the DC has some better looking games. That's why whenI saw the ps2 I was like...what?! I just wasn't impressed, but I must say with games like god of war, I'm very impressed with the ps2. Did anyone see that guy who got doom 3 to run on voodoo 2's? Look like poop, but it's great.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God of War: Flashy effects, too bad the rain turns the textures into mud :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
With better marketing, DC could've lived alongside the other current consoles...
even in the PS2's final days, it's still clearly better in some area's. Sonic Adventure 2 is still the best looking Sonic game - that should count for something, and we've probably never seen the full potential of the DC. Shenmue 2 might've been close, but I think if the DC had lived longer, developers would have been able to make something even better looking.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Or squeeze out a better framerate :p

The problem if the DC would still be commercially alive today would've been that it can't push the polygons needed for most modern games. I don't know how many certain cross platform games have, but DC has a peak of 5 million polygons IIRC, and I doubt it would be enough. Perhaps nice textures and bumpmapping might have been able to make up for it a bit, but also the DC ain't a wonder when it comes down to producing nice light effects.

From what I've read Shenmue 2 was already pushing the Dreamcast a lot, however, it's a game from '99/2000 so who knows what other tricks AM2 or Capcom otherwise might have discovered if they had had another 3 years to develop for the system.

Oh and Katsuya, thanks for the links and info :)

It seems we both found the the same webpages when googling for Dreamcast + Bumpmapping. I guess all I can do is keep my eyes open for more ingame examples, because the internet isn't such a great source of information on this subject :p

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.