Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys into DOOM 2? To be honest I didn't play it properly until relatively recently, but I think it's still probably one of the best first person shooters out there. The controls and pace of the game are just spot on I think, especially on the jDoom engine (Doomsday).

It's the only engine I've ever played the game completely through on though, but there's some wicked levels in it. My favourite's probably level 7 'Dead Simple'.

So anyone got any achievements on this game? Like how far can you get on each difficulty without getting wasted or reloading? How about playing times and stuff like that? Or is no-one really into it?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
I've gone from beginning to end without dying on 'Ultra Violent'. On 'Nightmare' I usually die around level 25 due to lack of ammo.

The last time I actually played this was quite a few years ago. I think it's kinda' funny that you've just recently played through it. This game was originally released in 1994.

Oh well. You've given me a goal to try and beat it on 'Nightmare' without dying. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, that's hardcore.
I thought I was pretty good at it. I've completed it on Ultra Violence, but Nightmare difficulty takes the p**s! lol

Well, I played years ago, but never played it properly. :)

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
Any of you guys into DOOM 2? To be honest I didn't play it properly until relatively recently, but I think it's still probably one of the best first person shooters out there. The controls and pace of the game are just spot on I think, especially on the jDoom engine (Doomsday).

It's the only engine I've ever played the game completely through on though, but there's some wicked levels in it. My favourite's probably level 7 'Dead Simple'.

So anyone got any achievements on this game? Like how far can you get on each difficulty without getting wasted or reloading? How about playing times and stuff like that? Or is no-one really into it?
i did a tyson run on ultra violence once.

·
ライチュウ|タオ
4,016 Posts
wikipedia said:
The honorific titles were not the only recognition of outstanding players, though; although the process was less formalized, a player could also achieve fame by making available demos showing them performing other interesting or difficult tasks, ideally in as little time as possible. These demos became known as speedruns; typical tasks include just finishing levels as quickly as possible (usually on "Ultraviolence" or "Nightmare!" difficulty), scoring 100% kills and secrets on a level before finishing it, or doing "Tyson" runs in which only the fist and pistol (and, under some rules, the chainsaw) are allowed as weapons.
Doom competitive gaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Wiki isn't always to be trusted, but I would imagine that's the correct answer.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
its actually not that hard, if you take advantage of demon infighting its quite simple, you let them kill each other and then you deal with the leftovers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts