Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Google Moogle
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Donkey Kong first arrived on the Super Nintendo it was a breakthrough for the three-dimensional side scrolling world. There weren't many high tech three dimensional games at the time, being all two dimensional starting with Donkey Kong on Arcade and then being on the Game Boy as a more substantial game.

The Story basically is like the Super Nintendo version. King K Rool captures the banana hoard and you have to go and search for your missing bananas. The difference is, is that your hoard was taken by a mysterious group of Voodoo Masks that you have to beat back. It's very cliche' to the Super Nintendo version, but the mainstream gameplay is back and better than ever.

The game play of this game is pretty much the same except with more actions and stunts that you can pull off. In fact, many of the stunts like the hand slam and barrel roll (which you do by shaking the wii mote), you will need to pull off in this game to unlock extra areas to explore. There are two differences from the Super Nintendo Versions of Donkey Kong Country to Donkey Kong Country returns. One very noticeable difference is that Donkey Kong now has two lives instead of one and Diddy Kong has two lives also.

This makes the game can make the game easier in challenge now that you can have 4 notches of health instead of 2. Having said that Donkey Kong can have 2 while Diddy has 2 also. The other major difference is that in single player mode you can't control diddy. He's basically only there to help you float across gaps with his jet pack, but if you get hit with Donkey Kong; diddy will die instead of Donkey Kong. In two player mode it is very different because you both can play at the same time.

The controls are different also in that the control stick is used to move left, right up or down and the button below is used for running. The controls are still solid and crisp like they are in the other games. You can speed up by tapping the "B" button and rolling by shaking the wii mote at the same time. And by slamming the ground you can shake both wii motes to perform the action. If you just want something simple and fun, you will have a barrel blast with Donkey Kong Country Returns.

If I could make the score higher I would, but I give it a 10/10 for any die hard fan.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Been playing it on my Wii.

Just wish they would stop with the gimmick controls, It is really a letdown having to shake the control to stomp the ground and shake and hold right to roll, I hate it.

It really disrupts the flow of the game.

·
Google Moogle
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the controls are different but if you take the analog mote and the wii mote it and shake them up and down, you'll pound the ground much easier than shaking left and right. That's one thing I noticed about the ground slam. Then you can still pound repeatidly without any extra effort. I do agree with you on the barrel roll, it seems you roll faster and farther than any of the other donkey kong country games.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,089 Posts
DKC 3 was the only one in the series where I got 100% (technically 105%). I've used a cheat in DKC 2 to get enough DK coins for the secret boss.
DKC 3 didn't have such high annoyance levels like the Squaks-bramblebush levels in 2, though.

·
Google Moogle
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of those games where I can be extremely pro at. Like going through the whole game getting everything 100%, and in some special cases not even dying once. (From gangplank galleon to K.Rool Duel). Honest, not making this up. And if I do die it's only once or twice. Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 3 I can do the same. Except for the fact that I never got 100% in Donkey Kong Country 1, but I almost usually beat my adversaries online. (Either a disconnect surrender or an honorable play till the end of the game.) I remember being beat once, but the guy i played with was really good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts