Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it's a good and a bad day for dolphin. After months of silence we decided it's time to do a release... a final release.
And yes you've read it right, there won't be another release in future.
BUT don't worry the dolphin source code will be released soon.
All I like to say is thank you F|RES & ector for this great emu (Proof of concept).

Greetings,
Falcon4ever & Shadowprince
Dolphin Homepage
Get Final version here

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
hmmm... so the first GC emu ever playing commercial games (or better: ANYTHING!!!) is ... dead???

Maybe one day someone will continue the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hm, sad :/.

but gcube has made a very nice progress in the last release, so there's another emu that emulates commercial games.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Well, atleast authors can use and learn from it :)

·
OUYA Angel Backer
197 Posts
Hypocrites. I suggested they open the source months ago so a Linux port (and possibly a crossplatform port) could be made. I got flamed and ignored. The thread got locked and an addition to the FAQ on Dolphin's forum in emutalk banning the discussion of source opening or porting was added. Now look what they do.

Despite this, it is still the correct decision. Dolphin's source opening and ceased development by the original coders could prove even better for the project than remaining closed and actively developed by few. This isn't a sad event. The Dolphin programmers are brilliant people, but closed source bigots tend to be misguided. All the best emulators are open...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Keithinov said:
The Dolphin programmers are brilliant people, but closed source bigots tend to be misguided. All the best emulators are open...
What, like ePSXe and PSXeven, the best emus for the PSX? Or Bleem and VGS (back in the day they were good)? Or perhaps you mean Kawacks, Neorage and Nebula... What about Chankast?
Just because you like Open Source doesn't mean that everyone should use it. It is thier decision if they want to or not.

·
OUYA Angel Backer
197 Posts
Don't be a smart ass. I think it's obvious that I was referring to projects like ZSNES or PCSX, all of which are top emulators for their console and are star successes.

And yes, everyone should use it, when they're developing free software anyway. There is absolutely no reason to write software, make it free for everyone to download, and not provide source.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
There is. It's their project, and if they wish to retain the control on how is it released, they have the right to do so. There's zillions of kids out there who would d/l a modified release, and then come to complain to the original authors (OMG romz arren't l0adinf in teh emu yuo guyz sux LOLZ, anyone?), just to name an example as why that can be desirable.

I warn you, calling names on these forums is agaisn't the [rules]rules[/rules]. And it's pretty dumb to do so on an admin. Please try to behave yourself from now on.

·
OUYA Angel Backer
197 Posts
There is. It's their project, and if they wish to retain the control on how is it released, they have the right to do so.
No one is questioning their rights. I have the right to get up two hours earlier than I need to for work and drive around the city aimlessly wasting gas, contributing to pollution, and contributing to traffic pointlessly. That doesn't mean I'm actually going to do it.

We're talking about common sense here. Not providing source for software whose binaries are released for free just doesn't make any sense.

There's zillions of kids out there who would d/l a modified release, and then come to complain to the original authors (OMG romz arren't l0adinf in teh emu yuo guyz sux LOLZ, anyone?)
Yeah, like all those people on ngemu who do that with ZSNES and PCSX? Oh wait. That doesn't happen very often (if at all).

Please try to behave yourself from now on.
Please try to come up with an actual argument from now on.

just to name an example as why that can be desirable.
I'm still listening.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Kethinov said:
No one is questioning their rights. I have the right to get up two hours earlier than I need to for work and drive around the city aimlessly wasting gas, contributing to pollution, and contributing to traffic pointlessly. That doesn't mean I'm actually going to do it.
Flawed comparison. That way you are harming people and nature. A closed source doesn't harm anyone. You can argue that it prevents the program from being ported or whatever, but that's no actual harm. If you want an emu for that particular system on a different SO/processor/etc, no one is denying you the right to program it yourself.

Kethinov said:
We're talking about common sense here. Not providing source for software whose binaries are released for free just doesn't make any sense.
You forgot to add the IMHO there ;) . That's YOUR POV, and you fail to see that not everyone has to share your opinions. I can lend a videogame of my colection to a friend, but not necesarily give it to him. This way they are lending you the right to use the program, but they retain the control about it. I find that absolutely fair. If they decide to release the source, i'll wellcome it, but i can't question their decision if they don't want to. It's theirs. As your car is yours and i can't complain if you don't want to let me drive it ;) .

Kethinov said:
Yeah, like all those people on ngemu who do that with ZSNES and PCSX? Oh wait. That doesn't happen very often (if at all).
Again flawed comparison. Zsnes loads pretty much everything out there. There are few games that doesn't work already, and are both well documented and difficult to get. Most Zsnes users are a little more mature as snes is a system that was popular many years ago. Besides, this board doesn't have a zsnes specific section, so, as i rarely visit any other forums, makes it difficult for me to notice if that happens.
PCSX is pretty compatible as well. And it's not the most used psx emulator anyway. We have a pcsx board, and gets an average of 5 messages each month at its most active. It's no wonder than even less are complaints :p .
Now take a look at Dolphin. As every next-gen emu, it's on early development stages. Almost every game won't work. Gamecube it's a system used now, so there are more chances that younger people are interested on it. Take a look at the pcsx2 forum. There's a fair number of lame posts. Before tightening the rules and the control, it was an utter mess, including questions about CVS builds... wich weren't made by pcsx2 developers of course. Now, that is a fair comparison ;) . Care to rebuild your argument about this point?

Kethinov said:
Please try to come up with an actual argument from now on.
Please try to come up with something else than baseless bashing from now on.

Kethinov said:
I'm still listening.
You should start making something useful instead of just whining, you know :)

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh guys....cut it out. your both arguing for nothing since you both look like you wont change your mind. this is turning into "who will have the last say in it".....

They said they'll release the source code. Lets just keep it at that no?..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts