Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is Utorrent using ftp to access the net

i have been using Utorrent for a while and its working great, while browsing the log of my antivirus i found this

Blocked by port blocking rule Utorrent.exe Prevent FTP outbound (stops viruses downloading files)

Blocked by port blocking rule utorrent.exe Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail

According to my antivir the ports used are port 25 and port 20-21 see attach pix

Although this accesses made by Utorrent are currently block (the ports), Utorrent still to seems properly function.

Why is Utorrent using these ports 20-21/25? any idea thanks.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
... it shouldnt be using those ports AT ALL though. It is a standard that programs shouldn't use ports below 1023 unless they are giving well known services (eg HTTP , FTP, DNS etc.) and even then those ports are generally for servers, clients should be using a port above 1023. If this is bittorrent it shouldn't be invading the well known ports range... so something went horribly wrong there.

EDIT: here, i found the document by the iana.

although it is really strange if you ask me, are you sure that you didn't manually set it to those ports?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.