Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm planning on upgrading.
And I choose to upgrade with a I9 9900k.
But the thing is that some LGA1151 motherboards don't support it.
Why does chipset play such a huge role in this?Isn't the chipset intended for data flow?
It's not like it's a different architecture right?
Can someone explain this in detail please.
Also is the ASROCK Z370 PRO4 a good option?

Thanks.

·
deep-space demon
349 Posts
Hi!
I'm planning on upgrading.
And I choose to upgrade with a I9 9900k.
But the thing is that some LGA1151 motherboards don't support it.
Why does chipset play such a huge role in this?Isn't the chipset intended for data flow?
It's not like it's a different architecture right?
Can someone explain this in detail please.
The socket type may be identical but the bios and other stuff in the board has to support the cpu and board manufacturers have to accommodate for that as newer cpus are made on the same platform.

Also is the ASROCK Z370 PRO4 a good option?
I don't think that Asrock board supports i9s... You ought to check with a motherboard's cpu compatibility list first before making any purchase; if the i9 9900k cpuisn't listed under your chosen board then don't buy that board.
An easier way would be to use go on sites like pcpartpicker and stick together a system configuration and the website will report any compatibility issues to you.
I would go for something like the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F, I know somebody who is in the process of building a mini server with this board.

Personally the i9 is less desirable because of the pricing of it when products like AMD's Threadripper 1900X exist. That is another option for you to consider if you want to save money on both cpu and a board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

the cpu i9-9900K should also work in older intel mainboards with chipsets Z370, H370, Q370, B360 and H310, if the vendors distributes the required BIOS update.

I've choosed the best solution; I'm just building a new server PC from scratch with mainboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-F (ATX) incl. a cpu water cooling system from be quiet!

If you have additional questions to my projects, don't hesitate to ask me any time.

Btw: if you're looking for a low budget PC system with a real 8/16 core/thread cpu, you should have a look to cpu AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, which is 50% cheaper than the i9. I didn't chosed it, because (1.) I've looked for best performance - and - (2.) I wouldn't install a separate, required gpu card in my server system.

Regards,

Neo

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and happy new year!
While the answers are filled with great recommendations.I stil don't know why do chipsets matter for the CPU?I thought it was only for data flow.
And yes I9 9900K is listed on ASROCK Z370 support list.
Thanks again.

·
deep-space demon
349 Posts
Yes, you are right
I would instead go for something more robust like the board @Neo2019 has
I've choosed the best solution; I'm just building a new server PC from scratch with mainboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-F (ATX) incl. a cpu water cooling system from be quiet!

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,428 Posts
Thanks and happy new year!
While the answers are filled with great recommendations.I stil don't know why do chipsets matter for the CPU?I thought it was only for data flow.
Thanks again.
Its mainly about power phase design, and its cooling, it needs to be top of the line in both regards to work well with the strain on it put by the i9 9900K, funny enough Intel reminds me of what AMD did with the FX 9XXX cpu's, which could only work well on like ~3-5 motherboards, well unlike those CPU's intel ones at least have some performance to show for all the costs needed (i've seen many posts with people having problems because their motherboards couldn't keep up with the voltage regulating this thing needed this past few weeks, i learned this with AMD the hard way, but it now works for intel to, just because a mobo says it will support a certain CPU and ha a bios update for it, it doesn't mean that it will also work properly). For a server though, personally i would also go with threadripper...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts