Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a question im running epsxe at 1024x768 it runs fine but do i need to be running at 1024 what i mean is does epsxe enlarge the polygons to fit 1024 or does it just stretch them?? i know sprites and background pix are stretched which is a reall shame in games like ff7,8,9 where the beutifully renderes backgrounds are almost ruined by the high resulution monitor :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Umm....

I think yes, for 3D objects ePSXe with D3D, OpenGL and Glide plugins does enlarge the polygons to fit 1024 (didn't you notice that, what's wrong with your eyes ? :cool: ) , but 2D objects (like FF background) only stretched and with software rendering plugins i think every objects only stretched too.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I think everything is stretched including 3d stuff.. But bilinear filtering makes the 3d looks very good without the noticeable pixel stretching.. But 2d isn't as good with bilinear filtering when it has been stretched to 1024x768.. I play all FF games at 640x480 which makes the 2d background look better since there is less pixel stretching.. Then I enable 4xFSAA to enhance the backgrounds even more and it makes the 3d look great too.. Plus, petes new d3d and ogl pluggin has an option to smoothen the 2d too, which it does quite will with FF9..

here is a shot with lewpys glide pluggin at 640x480 with 4xFSAA..

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Originally posted by BaSSlin3r
4xfsaa ?? that sounds almost like 2xsai on the snes
where do i enable that??
Looks like you have a geforce2 video card so it should be in your "advanced display properties".. It's not 2xSal.. That is done in software.. This is done with your video hardware.. Suffice to say, there is a performance hit when enabling FSAA but at 640x480 resolution, it shouldn't be too much.. Don't try enabling 4xFSAA at 1024x768 though..

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Originally posted by Neojag
i think FF8 uses 320*244 (not sure tough)
FF8 and 9 uses a 320x224 resolution for it's 2d backgrounds and it's 3d fight scenes.. FF7 uses a resolution of 320x240.. Using a resolution of 640x480 is more of a match for FF7's psx resolution which is why there is less noticeable pixel stretching with FF7 at 640x480.. It's a perfect multiple of the original psx resolution with FF7.. But ff8 and 9 uses a weird 320x224 which most video cards don't use.. And they don't have a resolution which is a perfect multiple of it either..

MOst psx games uses different resolutions for different scenes too.. So 320x224 isn't used all the time..

Here is a shot of FF7.. You see there is less noticeable pixel stretching with this game than that pic above of FF9..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
30 gig bandwidth even so is it really that powerfull i mean putes are getting better so fast look at the new radeon 5400 and the Athlon xp, also ive got a sony2 emulator anyway i mean it doesnt play commercial games but........soon.........:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok ok ok youve convinced me but you still didnt answer my question which is what res does the ps2 run at, also if the ps2 is so K-rad, l33t and all why doesn't it have the option to purchase a monitor for it so you can run at wicked high resolutions ??
and if it does... tel me where i can buy one ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

I think the PS2 uses 640x480 for most games, although it's able to display up to 1280x1024...

And I can tell you one thing for sure, the PS2 is not and never will be easy to emulate. :p

Cheers,
NachoKun

·
Registered
121 Posts
ahhmmm ...

Could someone please clarify what they mean by 30 gig bandwidth on PS2?

What does bandwidth mean in terms of PC hardware?

30 gig what? 30 gig bit? byte?
at what rate? 30 gig over a second, a minute, a hour?

I'm quite confused ...

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Originally posted by Jinx
ahhmmm ...

Could someone please clarify what they mean by 30 gig bandwidth on PS2?

What does bandwidth mean in terms of PC hardware?

30 gig what? 30 gig bit? byte?
at what rate? 30 gig over a second, a minute, a hour?

I'm quite confused ...
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1561&p=14

Check there.. It is kinda technical but there is your answer.. It simply means that the Ps2 can do 48 gigbytes\sec of graphics memory bandwidth..

The geforce3 ti 500 has like 8 gigbytes/sec graphics memory bandwidth..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.