Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PS2 broke down while I was planning on getting Resident Evil 4. Fortunately, I still have a real good Computer. I bought myself a PS2 to USB adapter so I could use my controller so now I'm all set. I'm about to get Resident Evil 4 from gamestop used, but I need to know which one will work best on my computer.

And I'm not planning on overclocking since I have no idea how to, plus it's a dell computer so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
4 GB DDR3 Ram( I know I sould have 3 or 6 since it'll work in Tri Channel mode or something like that)
ATi Radeon 4850
Windows Vista 64 bit

I already have PCSX2 Playground and it plays a lot of my PS2 games pretty well. But I hear that dolphin would be easier to emulate things since the architecture isn't as complex as the PS2. So before I go out and buy the game I want to know which one it plays better on. I don't care much about graphics as long as it doesn't look like crap. I'd really like the extra features that the PS2 one has, but I don't want to get it and find out that it's unplayable when I could have gotten the Game Cube version. I'd also like a very good framerate. I have 60 FPS at all moments on DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and I get between 40-60 FPS on GTA VCS(even though I play it with no texture filtering and at native resolution). The only time it gets to 40 is if I'm near or in water, or in certain areas. I hate it when a game goes really slow, so if it goes 40 at the majority of the time, I won't play it. I hate slow gameplay.

Now a lot of people will tell me that my i7 won't give me much of an increase since it' 2.67 GHz, and the quad core means nothing, but the i7 shuts off certain cores it doesn't need or isn't using, or it underclocks them so it can over clock the ones that's doing the most work. I've even seen it get to near 3 GHz.

Should I go threw the trouble or should I just forget about it.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
The gamecube version isn't working all too great as it is prone to crashing, and as far as I know the PS2 version is playable enough to enjoy it, try having a look through the screenshots thread to see if anyone has posted anything related to RE4.

Of note, there is also a PC version available and with mods it can look as good or even better than the console versions and it does contain all the bonus extras found in the PS2 version. .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts