Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I am wrong but with emulation, the emulator is using your PC's cpu to emulate the cpu,memory and graphics chip of a console. if this is correct wouldnt it mean for example that a geforce 6800 ultra, wouldnt be any better than a old geforce 2 mmx? because the way I understand it is that emulation isnt done hardware for hardware its just the CPU that is reponsible for making your entire system appear to be the console you are trying to emulate.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
your wrong, video cards do matter, and quite a bit. The current plugin system make parts of the emulation run on hardware instead of the cpu making it alot faster. hence the fact that there is a opengl plugin and a direct9 plugin. gssoft is way slower then the others. so simply put you are wrong.

·
Registered
244 Posts
*Sigh...
I think what its about a billion tiemes was said what if you have graphic card atleast with DX8 support(GeForce3) then its quite enough for correct video emulation... But old cards like GF2 is too old and can`t support even 1.1 version of Pixel Shaders, so the final image with latest GSdx would be rendered with incorrect colors, but still yes, even GF2 can handle image rendering, coz all job doing CPU, and video card just rendering final image...
And ofcourse its good to have modern video card like 6600GT, then you can enable PS3.0 in GSdx, but its not relly that necessary, 1.4 version(which support even R9200 and FX5200) i think is quite enough...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
D.Strange said:
*Sigh...
I think what its about a billion tiemes was said what if you have graphic card atleast with DX8 support(GeForce3) then its quite enough for correct video emulation... But old cards like GF2 is too old and can`t support even 1.1 version of Pixel Shaders, so the final image with latest GSdx would be rendered with incorrect colors, but still yes, even GF2 can handle image rendering, coz all job doing CPU, and video card just rendering final image...
And ofcourse its good to have modern video card like 6600GT, then you can enable PS3.0 in GSdx, but its not relly that necessary, 1.4 version(which support even R9200 and FX5200) i think is quite enough...

yes it may run but it will be alot slower... alot... so yes video card matters not only in video quilty but speed also.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
This was true with older emulators, but as you start trying to emulate newer systems it gets more complicated.

The Playstation 2 is a multiprocessor beast to begin with..so trying to get a single PC CPU to emulate multi processors is just part of the fun. Now you factor in "Emotion Engine" for graphics and you wind up with a need for one super computer CPU that doesn't quite exist yet..well...not in the consumer market anyways.

So the graphics card GPU can be used to offset the load on the CPU. Think of it like moving furniture...you'll have a hell of a time alone, but if you get a buddy to help it becomes much easier ;)

Oh..and while talking about moving furniture..what would be better. Using your pip squeek kid cousin / brother (Geforce MX 400) or using that steroid using neighbor with arms the size of tree trunks (Geforce Ultra 6800).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, yes, but question was about speed difference with different cards working in API mode, and not about working in full sowtware like GSsoft =)
2 ChaosCode
You are wrong - i have same fps with FX5600 and 6600GT in p.s1.4 mode... As all that said before - for now cpu is a real bottleneck, not GPU...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
D.Strange said:
Well, yes, but question was about speed difference with different cards working in API mode, and not about working in full sowtware like GSsoft =)
2 ChaosCode
You are wrong - i have same fps with FX5600 and 6600GT in p.s1.4 mode... As all that said before - for now cpu is a real bottleneck, not GPU...[/QUOT

im not wrong lol, if the cpu wasnt bottled necked then the 6600gt would be faster. trust me I know. kthxz, dont try to even sit there and tell me something I deal with everyday. I know that a better graphics card makes the emulator run faster becuase it lightnings the load on the cpu. So in 10 years it might not matter but for now and the near future it does matter and quite a bit. hence the reason dmc3 runs at 3 fps in gssoft and 20-30 in gsdx9

·
Registered
325 Posts
im not wrong lol, if the cpu wasnt bottled necked then the 6600gt would be faster. trust me I know.
Correct me if I`m wrong, but if the CPU wasn`t bottlenecked, then wouldn`t the emulator run faster only because the CPU isn`t bottlenecked and it can procces more things at once? I don`t think that 6600gt would be faster, instead the proccesor would be faster.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
i think what Chaos is trying to say is Graphics cards that support hardware DX9 will be a lot faster than one that doesnt due to the fact GSDX9 displays everything via hardware, where GSSoft makes the cpu sort the graphics information out before its sent to the graphics card, which means the CPU is still doing the work hence it being software mode, with hardware mode your graphics card sorts out the data and displays it removing the strain from the CPU.

the difference between a 6600GT and a 7000GT Super Turbo Alpha Mega Speed geforce would be neglegable.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
And someone up there mentioned ps 1.4 was enough. Sorry mate you have run out of luck.... Atleast ps 2.0 is required now as newer gsdx9 betas are using ps 2.0 for more and more games.

·
Registered
244 Posts
And someone up there mentioned ps 1.4 was enough. Sorry mate you have run out of luck.... Atleast ps 2.0 is required now as newer gsdx9 betas are using ps 2.0 for more and more games.
I`m sorry, but its just bull*****... Even 1.1 is enough for correct emulation. I`m know, coz now i`m using GSdx_0.9wip with 1.4 shaders without any problems. As i mentionrd, GSdx using shader scripts just for color control + bluring, and thats all, so 2.0 shaders isn`t necessary at all, its just works faster on modern cards and nothing more.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
D.Strange said:
I`m sorry, but its just bull*****... Even 1.1 is enough for correct emulation. I`m know, coz now i`m using GSdx_0.9wip with 1.4 shaders without any problems. As i mentionrd, GSdx using shader scripts just for color control + bluring, and thats all, so 2.0 shaders isn`t necessary at all, its just works faster on modern cards and nothing more.
actually in some games PS2.0 is required, DMC3 shows incorrect graphics on anything other than PS2.0 ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Really? How about p.s3.0? Hmm, interesting, maybe i will spend some time on testing DMC3, coz i was thinking its showing same buggy image on all p.s. versions...

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
D.Strange said:
Ok , fine keep dreaming. :D

If your card doesnt support ps 2.0 try pressing "test" in plugin options for gsdx9 and see what it says.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2 Prafull
Sorry, maybe i wrong, but now i really want to test DMC3... And as you can see, i have FX5600, and its support PS2.0, but veeeeeeery slow =((( Thats the problem here...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nope, its totally fine even on p.s1.4 with latest PCSX2 build, the same image on PS2.0 and 1.4 with small bugs, so i was right, shaders 2.0 isn`t necessary at all, its just scripts with no total power on image in emulation, just bluring and other filter effects...
Look at it:

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Its also a matter of your preference on speed vs visual, as I get twice the speed with 1.4 even though my card does support 2.0.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts