• Nope.

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I must say with my experiences in Doom 3 there are many times where some zombie has popped out and scared the hell out of me (no pun intended). There have also been times where I was surrounded with zombies and I would panic as I'm trying to rekill them all (techinically they're already dead, so re-kill ^^) and then I'd have to reload the gun and they'd be swiping at me with that blur effect. Its good fun.

So does Doom 3 scare you?

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
hehe.. it does make me jump.. but i dont get scared of going into dark rooms/corners or panicking when surrounded..

I guess playing Silent Hill(1,2,3,4) and other games like the orginal Half Life makes you a little stronger if i say so :p. But i do admit when a zombie suddenly pops up it does make me jump.

·
band
4,912 Posts
yes. i think ive mentioned in the forums here that it (along with other horror games) scared me enfuf to not allow me to finish it >_>

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yeah, it did scare the hell out of me my first playthrough.. I jumped and screamed several times.

Only game that really scared me other than RE2. :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It makes me jump occasionally, especially when Pinkies come'a'chargin'. Man I love that sound. But I wouldn't say it "scares" me, just startles me at times.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nope, sorry not in the slightest, reason being that after watching enough horror flixs, playing enough suspense and horror type games. It becomes very predictable, even with the surrounding noise. I have anticipated every single part of DOOM3 when I first played it.

They make some obvious ones like a room that is completely empty or suddenly turn dark...(ok too predictable). Something is obviously going to pop up at your rear or right in front of you very quickly, however not fast enough that you can not react to kill it in time (assuming you were not shocked).

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
the game definitely has shock value (when monsters pop out and stuff) but that environmentals and sounds seriously freak me out at times so that i walk really slowly cause im afraid something is gonna pop outta no-where. sometimes it does, sometimes... it dosent...

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the first six minutes or so. After that it just pisses me off for having possibly the worst gunplay and combat in the history of gaming. Which basically makes it the anti-Doom.

Things popping out of nowhere does occasionally get me, but only when the things don't make a sound as they do it, which is very rare in Doom 3.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are 2 things that really take me by suprise:

1. The room goes dark and all the corpses, everything, quickly levitates for half a second.
2. Theres a laugh and a corpse comes flying at you from a random direction.

And then there was this one time and I saw some zombie thing doing flips as he attacked me....

·
Registered
822 Posts
D.D. said:
im sorry...i just have to call toshiro's buff on this one...
hehe ok, don't know what else to say. However, I can tell you, the shock value for me is not enough to make me jump out of my seat or frighten me. I will admit, the game has a good atmosphere it can make my brother wet his pants.

However, most games will borrow a lot of the scary tactics from other games or from movies. For example, in DOOM3, especially when there is a cutscene, what is running in my head is "ok, something bad is suppose to happen and I am to be shocked by something big, bad and ugly", instead I look at the fact I am holding a plasma gun...hrmm ok that just kills the mood.

Another obvious one, the doorway that is closed, obviously they will throw in the usual jump out and try to kill you tactic. So every door way I just prepare to fire a round and surely enough a few times it kills those imps that jump out at you.

Long hallways that are still and queit. Ok that is just asking for a rear attack or something coming out of the roof or walls, surely a well placed grenade would not deter such beasts.

Also I can probrably blame my Film and Arts teacher who taught me all of the tricks that most people use as scare tactics. I was a very good student takes notes :innocent:

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
At the start It was a little tense with the lack of lights and ducttape but after a while I learned turn around after walking around 1 meter into a room turn 180 while holding a shotgun and count to 2 and fire the shotgun with a 100% chance of contacting an imp or silent zombie

Edit: The thing that scares me the most is the fact that someone posted a poll about Doom3 so long after it's release

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made the poll because I decided to play it today and I was thinking about how far I jumped out of the chair :p.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Player-X said:
Edit: The thing that scares me the most is the fact that someone posted a poll about Doom3 so long after it's release
*Scribbles down notes* = Scary when talking and making a poll about old game long after........check :thumb:

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
It positively freaked me out few times, but didnt bring a serious illusion of horror. But when it comes to scare-the-bejezus-out-of-ya, nothing beats X-Com 1 when walking in alienbase crossroad... :lol:

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
It did scared me a couple of times but not as much as Alien vs Predator playing with the Marine.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
It made me jump one or two times but thats nothing compared to Project Zero 1 where i was really scared to play the game again xD

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
So when we say scared we don’t mean don’t wanna be left home alone at night or seeing nightmares and stuff

But if we mean jumping and screaming and cursing every time I play it then I’m scared to death I mean the game disappointed me I was so eager to play the game but when I got it I couldn’t play more than 10 minutes a weak (not continuously)

The sound effects burned my nerves the whole monsters poping out thing I simply couldn’t take it so to hell with this game (my mom said to me cuz she couldn’t sleep at night with her son screaming at night ) didn’t complete it and I didn’t even reached hell

1 - 20 of 50 Posts