Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'd like to know if 9600XT AIW has hardware encoding. My friend has one and he says when he encodes stuff his CPU usage goes upward of 60-65%, on an AMD 2400+. I'm pretty clueless on this whole encoder business, and I googled a bit and found nothing useful. Generally what type of format does a typical hardware encoder support? Which one would you consider to be acceptable quality? Please provide example of such cards. Thank you.

· The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
Most cards just encode in software mode: using the software provided with the card or any other software you wnat to use. Most of the time the cards just aid "slightly" to the whole encoding process. It's depends heavily in cpu speed.

Acceptable quality? Dvd resolution is what i consider as such. As i use to transfer from tv or vhs videos and their quality can't be enhaced i prefer to have something that looks decent enough because encoding a bad quality source to a bad quality movie doesn't help.

The cpu usage will go sky high most of the time and it's reccomended you don't do anything else with your pc while you are encoding since it will slow the process.

You can use whatever format you want but i reccomend xvid for personal purposes or mpeg2 coupled with a good dvd authoring software if you want to brag like me :lol:
I use MainConcept MPEG Encoder for capturing from an analog source, and tmpgenc for mpeg2 encoding and editing. Virtual dub will make the work for avi.
Don't forget you can use the video-in of the aiw coupled with dscaler and s-video to play your ps2/gc/xbox in you monitor and with the right config it will look better than on tv.

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's thinking of upgrading his PC so he can do stuff while encoding. I'd like to know if he can just get a hardware encoder instead.
Thanks for the reply!

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Around the same price as the 9600XT, or even less.....you can find a 6600 which IIRC had hardware encoding and decoding. Correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.