Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search of two things, since I'll need to start from some place.

I need some decent C++ coding tutorials for complete beginners, that are easy enough for a monkey to understand. :lol:

I am also looking for whatever little documentation there is of the Gamecube/Wii's Audio DSP hardware, to study and understand it and perhaps pull off a miracle at some point in the future.

Well the technical documentation of the DSP hardware is just to hang on to for right now, while I dive in to coding and learn as much as I can before even considering to attempt anything.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Xtreme my son, what was wrong with the awesome free video tutorials i linked you to.

The resolution of the video tutorials is enough that you can easily follow along and see exactly what they are doing in their environments.

The first several C++ tutorials are free, and are really good and easy for beginners.

3D Buzz

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
I'd advise having some prior experience with some languages first before jumping into pure C++.

Try C. That is powerful enough, yet steers clear of the OO stuff. Then try C++. Or you can go in the deep end and learn Python which is OO based.

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xtreme my son, what was wrong with the awesome free video tutorials i linked you to.

The resolution of the video tutorials is enough that you can easily follow along and see exactly what they are doing in their environments.

The first several C++ tutorials are free, and are really good and easy for beginners.

3D Buzz
Believe it or not, I went to download the videos last night and couldn't find the download links for them. Perhaps I was a bit tired at the time and missed the obvious. :p

Perhaps you are right that I should learn another language first, but I am quite a knowledgeable individual who can learn almost anything provided that I actually stick with it and study it, rather than giving up on it because of impatience or lack of gumption and commitment to do anything useful with my time. :(

·
4,713 Posts
you don't download them you actively stream them from the website like you do a youtube video on youtube.

in the 'video catagory' on the very beginning of the main page to the left the is a menu called 'video catagory' which is a vertical menu with a variety of tutorials like MS - Maya, MS XNA, MS C++

You wanna do the MS C++ videos. I did them and found them really good

the first 2 volumes are free, and each volume has around 7 lessons

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Streaming is going to be a big problem with my internet connection, I don't feel like streaming/watching a video at 2:00 AM in the morning when usage doesn't count towards my daily threshold.

Now if I could download them at that time and watch them, that would be fine.. :(

·
4,713 Posts
Streaming is going to be a big problem with my internet connection, I don't feel like streaming/watching a video at 2:00 AM in the morning when usage doesn't count towards my daily threshold.

Now if I could download them at that time and watch them, that would be fine.. :(
well they buffer. So you could fully buffer it and just leave your browser open until you are ready to watch. Might be able to use DownloadHelper to download the videos.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Perhaps you are right that I should learn another language first, but I am quite a knowledgeable individual who can learn almost anything provided that I actually stick with it and study it, rather than giving up on it because of impatience or lack of gumption and commitment to do anything useful with my time. :(
If you can read a 3000-page book over and over and over and over and over and over and over... (repeat as many times of this as you possibly can) to find grammatical errors, going in and fixing redundant sentences, restructuring paragraphs to be more compact, concise, and probably avoid confusion to the reader, learning new words, replacing old words, learning new and deep hidden meanings of each and every sentences so you can restructure them to have even deeper meanings,...

...assuming you can do the above, then we can really talk about doing some advanced programming. Otherwise, you'll pretty much be stuck at outputting "Hello World!" for about a year or two... which sucks majorly. :innocent:

Like mudlord said, really really really consider learning another language first before jumping into C++.

I'd also add that aside from the immense mental preparations you need to make, you also have to ALWAYS know exactly what it is that you want to do once you have the programming knowledge. For instance... what do you want to learn C++ for now? Can you do it, and with less effort, with another language? What are the advantages of C++ over other languages? Disadvantages?... etc... Always make your goal clear. It's not as simple as "I want to learn programming because it's cool being a programmer". If you really think that way then you'll likely give up before it gets to the good part. The beginning is always full of boring stuffs.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you can read a 3000-page book over and over and over and over and over and over and over... (repeat as many times of this as you possibly can) to find grammatical errors, going in and fixing redundant sentences, restructuring paragraphs to be more compact, concise, and probably avoid confusion to the reader, learning new words, replacing old words, learning new and deep hidden meanings of each and every sentences so you can restructure them to have even deeper meanings,...

...assuming you can do the above, then we can really talk about doing some advanced programming. Otherwise, you'll pretty much be stuck at outputting "Hello World!" for about a year or two... which sucks majorly. :innocent:

Like mudlord said, really really really consider learning another language first before jumping into C++.

I'd also add that aside from the immense mental preparations you need to make, you also have to ALWAYS know exactly what it is that you want to do once you have the programming knowledge. For instance... what do you want to learn C++ for now? Can you do it, and with less effort, with another language? What are the advantages of C++ over other languages? Disadvantages?... etc... Always make your goal clear. It's not as simple as "I want to learn programming because it's cool being a programmer". If you really think that way then you'll likely give up before it gets to the good part. The beginning is always full of boring stuffs.
I fell into this trap a while ago, trust me its not fun.

anyway i think he has his goals areredy layed out in his mind hence the, gamecube and wii documentation hes asking for.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I fell into this trap a while ago, trust me its not fun.

anyway i think he has his goals areredy layed out in his mind hence the, gamecube and wii documentation hes asking for.
No, it's not fun. But I had a blast outputting tetris blocks in Unix back then. :)

GameCube and Wii documentations? I think that's taking it a little bit... far. Actually, if you want to improve a current open-source emulator, I think it's easier to jump into the source code, look for small routines that you think you can do better, and try changing them. You won't need any text file or book to tell you what to do when you have live and working codes in front of your eyes like that. Provided you do understand them, it'll be a breeze.

Understanding some lines of code is easy if you know the syntax. But "knowing" the language is not as easy as knowing the syntax. You need to know what the language is doing internally, and better yet, you need to know why it's doing that. Think like a computer does.... stuffs like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts