Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
band
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a purely graphical perspective, the graphics lack the next gen leap that i expected. this seems no better than DOA:Ultimate but in a higher resolution (even then, many reviews have stated that even in HD, theres not much difference)...not to mention theres still glitches in hair and collision detection above that.

the good places in the graphics seem to be the environments, the constant 60fps, and the new motion blur. while the environments certainly did get an upgrade, they dont really impress me (i dont know why). the FPS is a given due to the fact that past games in the series always had a constant frame rate and the fact that the game was delayed multiple times. the motion blur is a matter of taste and i know there are a lot of ppl opposed to this...

will there ever be another gfx jump in the manner of tekken 3 to tekken tag tournament :(

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Well i must say the game looks good, very good, and i normaly dont like saying good stuff about xbox 360 :p, but yeah theres isnt much new inovations apart from the blur effect and depth of field. Models look pretty much the same, the cloths are a bit better though.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Well, if you remember Team ninja did not get the final development kits until very late into the dev-cycle. So one could say this game was designed for a 30% slower version of the 360. So it’s likely not taking full advantage of the real system. (Also the dev-kits they were using had missing features like no cloth dynamic simulation software. With the game having to be rushed out they did not have time to write in their own or make some major modifications to their engine.)

It looks (to me) that the first "true" next-gen fighter is going to be Virtua Fighter 5. (but so far it is Arcade only)

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Tbh i dont find VF5 much appealing as well, anyway with all these delays on DoA4 they should improve it much more :s It got delayed what? 5 times now?

·
band
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VF5 is definitely promising. the shading and lighting in VF5 make the ones in DOA4 look flat. the self-shadowing in VF5 is also very nice.

i guess the true jump to next gen gfx just didnt happen in DOA4. im hoping SC4/VF5/Tekken6 are going to wow me when i get them on ps3 :)

·
Registered
5,810 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's got nothing to do with not using more or less power or when they got the dev kits. The game has always retaind an anime inspired look for its characters. So they will probably never begin to get realistic looking skin and what not.

The world is more impressive than DoA U, but again, they're going for a certain look so its not too different. Just like DoA2 vs DoA3 isn't really that much of a leap.

Now if this was Soul Calibur, or Virtua Fighter you were complaining about then you'd have every right to. But you have to understand the dynamcis behind Team Ninja's visual style for the DoA series. The clothes in DoA4 is a mountain of a leap from DoA2 U and DoA 3 (which looked better htan DoA2 U). The bump mapping, and texture of the clothes.

Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus looked more impressive than DoA3 on the xbox -- thankfully thats not what counts in a fighter (the games good for newbs and people who don't enjoy regular fighting games but it is laughable to those of us who play fighters for the chalenge and technicalities of combat).

·
programmer
205 Posts
Some people may not see big difference,because visuals in Doa U are awesome .It is not that Team Ninja aren't doing great job again,its just that it wont make much difference if they are 30 000 or 300 000 polys per character,in Ultimate it is already hard to see edges .This time they focused the graphics on the effects ,lightnings ,reflections,the hair and clothes consumes much resources too.
The gameplay-they maded it even more great ,it is good it is related to the old series .There is a saying "if it's not broken ,dont repair it".
The leap to 512 bit consoles will be even less significant.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
DOA4 is excellent looking, and DOA3 in 480p on my Xbox looks like ****e compared to DOA4 in 720p on my 360.

Next-gen games are beautiful, you can't say PGR3 doesn't **** every other game in it's ass visually, and the Fight Night 3 demo is like watching a real ****ing boxing match.

Don't look at screenshots, play this ****, in motion DOA4 is fast and beautiful, with absurdly interactive environments.

The leap to 512 bit consoles will be even less significant.
Well I guess I missed the leap to 128, 256, etc..

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Have you actually seen a Fight Night 3 fight instead of a demo or replay? Game play couldn't suck more lol. Graphicly is stunning true but... bleh....

Anyway i did saw DoA4 live and my opinion remains the same.

·
band
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FN3 looks good but the animations/physics are very very last gen. they come from FN2 i believe. its a demo so it shud improve.

i live on campus and i have a friend who owns 360 and doa4. my original opinion was formed from my experience watching him play. to me, DOA4 is not a leap from doa:u, it is a babystep.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Didn't you grasp that I own a 360 and DOA4 and the FN3 demo from when I said it in my previous post? The gameplay "sucks" to you because it's not overly exaggerated like other boxing games. Quick jabs don't knock someone across the ring but they continuously damage a person, like the real world.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
No thats not what i meant. The gameplay and movements of the chars simple SUCKS, its true. They're too mechanic. They look like robots fighting.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'd say it's more a fault of the complexity of the control system than that of the game's engine, if you know the controls you can bob and weave and knock the **** out of someone in a fluid motion, but they are ****ing hard, so you kinda do get locked into an unrealistic wtf am I doing type of situation

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
I downloaded and HD clip. I am Not really amazed. In fact, I yawned at it. It this really next gen?

·
band
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well as long as ur still talking about DOA4, i agree its not next gen.

unfortunately some hotheaded xbox lover(s) felt the need to throw foul language and other unrelated games into this topic.

**** ** * *** !

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I downloaded and HD clip.
It's hard to see the DOA4 beauty in a video as a lot of the improvements are small details that you notice as you control the character and do different stuff.

Anyway let's not forget that XBOX 360 high HD resolution >> Xbox normal TV resolution, considering that I think DOA 4 is a fairly big leap forward.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.