Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Games often have major or minor bugs. My favourite is this one:

SONIC 2 had a nice "feature" that made the game keep the Chaos Emeralds you collected when resetting (not turning the power off and on). I accidentially discovered it when playing on a friend's Megadrive. After resetting start the game via the options menu and all the Chaos Emeralds will remain in your wallet.

P.S.: This bug is even emulated by KEGA fusion, I will post screenshots with Super Sonic dashing through Emerald Hill, if anyone is interested:D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The thing you mention from Sonic 2 was also possible in Sonic 1 on the Genesis/MD.

Whether I use bugs.. Well... everyone did in UT, and so did I sometime in the beginning. Though these were minor. There were some that allowed you to hide in certain spots in walls and really dirty shortcuts here and there, but I never used those. Practically no bug was allowed to be (ab)used during competitive play, or you and your clan would face disqualification, so it was obvious never to get used to them, hence I stopped using any after a month or so.

For single player games, I never abuse bugs, as most of them degrade the playing experience IMO. In UT I only did it online to keep up with those who also did it, which wasn't necessary anymore after attaining a certain degree of skill in the competitive community. Bugs weren't issue in most people's hands though, cheats were. But that passes too as you got better. Even aimbots were out-aimed by the likes of me. And any cheater was easily outwitted aswell for someone who had put the time in his skills to know enough about every game-mechanic that was possible to know.

The question reminds me of something I pretty much hated btw. What always was annoying is being called a bug abuser and cheater when doing your best not to resort to these things, results being the product of practice. If you could beat a cheater, you were a cheater, according to the whiners roaming the public servers. :rolleyes: Even the new kids that are called topplayers now resorted to such namecalling last time I played a public game. Blah.. it seriously depraved me of having the will to return to UT.

S

·
0 Posts
I do use flaws in gameplay systems (not nescesarily bugs)

like driving back & forth + drift in MSR to score insane amounts of style points. (it's stupid, actually ruins the game)

..also, many racers are very supportive of wall riding.

In shogo, I used bugs AND design flaws... the game is cool, but its bugs are legendary. Stand far away from the last boss when you choose against cothineal and the large mech won't attack.
I also won from Uziel because I fell under the elevator and shot him from there.
Fighting against Ryo Ushikawa's large mech was also easy; just run back in a room where the mech is too big for; he'll be standing in front waiting for you to come out. Just blast on his leg 'till he's dead.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I used a bug in the Zelda game for the gameby whereby you could get to the other side of any screen by pressing select or start when you're halfway through moving to the next area.

Which sometimes left you stuck in the wall, but meh, what can ya do.

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Bugs , well the bugs i used for my own benefit weren't many but :
1) End of earth 2 (And every O.H.R.R.P.G made game aswell) . You can walk on walls and seas and anything (Where no random battles appear) by pressing f11 (or f12 as I can't remember much) . That makes you skip many boring battles , but one the same time , you don't earn much levels :(

2) The maximizing status bug in Final Fantasy 6 , when you die from Atma weapon or in kefka's tower , just leave the game running and you'll find your party with full stats near kefka tower again :p .

I don't remember other bugs I've even encountered .

Edit 1: Oh there is that Mai bug in nearly all KOF games where CPU opponent stay standing till time's out and you win ofcourse :p . But I never used it for 2 reasons , Mai isn't one of my favourite team , and these kind of bugs makes your skill decrease obviously .

S

·
0 Posts
cloudvii said:
Edit 1: Oh there is that Mai bug in nearly all KOF games where CPU opponent stay standing till time's out and you win ofcourse :p . But I never used it for 2 reasons , Mai isn't one of my favourite team , and these kind of bugs makes your skill decrease obviously .
oh yeah...
I used that one to defeat King of Cheap, Zero ;P

It was also possible to go through walls in many Tomb Raiders, btw...

And then there was the game Stunts, with awesome bugs, but those weren't helpful, just friggin' funny ^_^

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Samor said:
It was also possible to go through walls in many Tomb Raiders, btw...
I used a lot of glitches in TR:AoD to avoid the tedious process of breaking Lara's neck on riskful areas...

Speaking of TR... does the Nude patch count as a bug used for my own benefit (you know... as in motivation)? :laugh:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does taking advantage of the AI count? In UT2K4 you can get the ball in bombing run and place it somewhere on your side of the field in an unaccessible location. Then while the bots all scurry about helplessly you can head to the ball spawn point and easily score when the ball is reset.

·
space trader
1,803 Posts
...interesting topic. :D

Yes, I've used game bugs/glitches to my advantage.... more times than I'd like to admit, actually... :emb:
Some memorable ones, include:

A minor flaw of the 3D mechanics in the CPC version of Elite, to simplify the pre-docking manuevering. :p

A strange bug in Turrican 2 that prevented the loss of lives. I only had the joy of experiencing it once, however.
To this day, I still haven't figured out what triggered it, or how to reproduce it... :laugh:

A cash-producing bug, in Megatraveller. :evil:

The item/money duplication bug, of the early Diablo days. ;)

...I've experieced many others too, but the above were the first ones that popped in my mind...

...oh, and one last thing: I never -ever- used (or plan to use) a game glitch to take advantage of somebody else (like "infinities" in fighting games). If I -intend- to use a certain bug, I do so in single player only. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was using a bug just today, the W-Item in FF7 so I didn't have to spend a million gil (no joke) on skilles greens wile raiseing my great, good, wonderful, green, blue, black, and gold chocobo.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
And of course, who could forget the Relm sketch bug from FF6 where you get a crapload of items.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
VDDZ said:
I was using a bug just today, the W-Item in FF7 so I didn't have to spend a million gil (no joke) on skilles greens wile raiseing my great, good, wonderful, green, blue, black, and gold chocobo.
I've completely forgotten about me using that bug. Thanks to it, I have 99 Megalixirs, Turbo Ethers, Hypers, X-Potions, and various greens and items :D. I also used a glitch in the earlier Pokemon games (yes I did play them and still own them :p) where items in your 6th slot would be duplicated when doing a certain procedure. I made lots of money off of that one :evil:.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Do you mean "Missingno"? That - sort of - Pokemon that looks more like a glitch than anything else?

P.S.: I just wanted to post the picture I promised :D

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
In FF7, i used the W element bug to make enough elixir for the "elixir gimme" monsters on north crater, too. Easy way to earn ap ;) .

In fps i tend to look for blind spots, where i can shoot my enemies and they can't fire back. It isn't that much of a cheat, except when crappy AI let you kill them all without them trying to even shoot at you... C&C renegade tanks come to mind - if you can hide in a corner from where you can shoot at a little part of one of them, and they can't shoot you, they won't move to have you on their line of fire :rolleyes:

Most of the times, however, i try to skip them and play the game the way it was designed to. It's much funnier that way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
One of the really early Mechwarrior games had a glitch whereby going through the mission backwards let you obliterate the AI. It had absolutely no way of coping with enemies attacking from rear. They would pretty much stand there and let you shoot them.

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
>>>oh yeah...

I hope you are talking about 2001 Zero (Original Zero) , as 2000 Zero as the easiest SNK ever .

>>>It was also possible to go through walls in many Tomb Raiders, btw...

Yes I now recall , I once jumped through a wall in TR1 (Believe me that helped much) By coincidence .
And I remember One of my friends showed me a wall you can jump through in Soul reaver ;)

Btw , once before I posted a pic of Ehrgeiz , where I made 99 hit combo .
Hehe :p . I was able to make it because of a bug , a very stupid error in the game :evil: . I don't know if I should say it , it's so so cheap really , I don't want anyone of you try it un vs mode :p . I won't , I just used it at practice .

But it's so easy too , check the thread for the pic ;) : http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53289&highlight=hit+ehrgeiz

I didn't tell my secret there , so I think I won't tell it now aswell :p (Unless , you beg me , j/k :) )

S

·
0 Posts
cloudvii said:
>>>oh yeah...

I hope you are talking about 2001 Zero (Original Zero) , as 2000 Zero as the easiest SNK ever .
oh... ok, well, I knew I wasn't good in fighters but that must be a new low for me then ;P
(but I found him more difficult than KOF96-99 and 2K2 bosses)

Btw , once before I posted a pic of Ehrgeiz , where I made 99 hit combo .
Hehe :p . I was able to make it because of a bug , a very stupid error in the game :evil: . I don't know if I should say it , it's so so cheap really , I don't want anyone of you try it un vs mode :p . I won't , I just used it at practice .
I can make unlimited hit combo's in the newer TMNT on PC... thx to Donatello's long stick....qualifies as a bug (corner an enemy and keep hitting him).

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
I used "Super UZI" bug in Worms+ from time to time. Select Uzi, and press F2 (or maybe it was some other F button, i dont remember...) and space at exactly same time. Fires exploding ammo, about bazooka sized. Quite a mayhem, i might add. :) But otherwise, i dont use bugs intentionally.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts