• None: They suck, slow down the damn computer, Virus rules

Votes: 6 22.2%
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Originally posted by Stevenlcw
i have Norton Antivirus 2001.. but i alway turn off Norton,
Why so ?I hope you check your computer for viruses and trojans once in a week and also emails.

Must have to do something with system slowing down while norton is running I guess.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
You can always use Norton to manually scan files as they come in (like I do). It has a big hit on performance if you just let it do whatever it pleases.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Originally posted by Ryos
You can always use Norton to manually scan files as they come in (like I do). It has a big hit on performance if you just let it do whatever it pleases.
Exactly.......!......but I am using Nav 2002 and so far it is going pretty well.......U know when I bought my mother board it contained a CD which had Nav 2001........!....

Ali

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I use Mcafee, and the background scanner is on. However, I choose only download/email/Internet scanners to be Enabled al the time. There is a "Background System scan" which I keep disabled to improve performance. That's the best way, I think.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't had my PC effected by a virus since the DOS days, begging of win 95 era. I haven't had a Virus scanner on any of my PC's for about 3 years now. They don't slow down the PC per say, but they never intercepted anything.

I think I got a few simple virus' that were easily removed from the windows registry and/or config.sys autoexec.bat win.ini files. Course I'm a bit savvy when it comes to that sort of thing, and if I wasn't me I'd have one. I do encourage the people I build/rebuild pc's for occasionally to get and keep them. Its annoying to have them call you and tell you about some odd problem....and they want you to fix it.

·
ItsNotMe
164 Posts

·
r|bb|t
531 Posts
The anti-virus I use is F-prot, and in my opinion is the best.
1. It's really small (1 - 2 MB), because it's just a DOS app.
2. FREEWARE
3. Doesn't keep running on the background (doesn't slowdown)
And the best of all: the last time i got a virus (like 2 years ago) neither mcafee or norton could clean the files without deleting them (I didn't want to delete 200 files from windows/system dir ;p) and some friend told me to use this f-prot... It cleaned everything perfetly! ;p
I have been using it until tioday...

http://www.f-prot.com/f-prot/

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by Felipe
And the best of all: the last time i got a virus (like 2 years ago) neither mcafee or norton could clean the files without deleting them (I didn't want to delete 200 files from windows/system dir ;p) and some friend told me to use this f-prot... It cleaned everything perfetly! ;p
I have been using it until tioday...

http://www.f-prot.com/f-prot/
Well, when you got that virus 2 years ago, maybe your mcafee and norton definitions were outdated.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
yes, the scan-engine used only comes second to the definitions used.. having the latest scan-engine available but not keeping the definitions up-to-date is a bad practice.. :p

·
Trans-Am Mode
998 Posts
i have a virus scanner, called pc-cillin 2000. i disabled the startup scan and turn it off once i reach the desktop. it never slows the pc that way. it has bad effects when it is left turned on like random automatic scanning pops up.

·
King of the Maggots
4,131 Posts
well... I used norton 2001 once, but it used to slow my PC a lot... then I found one called AVG, and it's the greatest one:

• doesn't slow your computer
  • friendly user interface
  • runs on windows
  • it's fast
  • it's free

i recommend it.. and it's light (5 Mb)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Tak,
AVG is quite good.Not in the ranks of norton or mcafee but still very good keeping in mind its free for personal usel(Atleast it was when I used it some time ago).It doesnt have that much effect on performance of your computer as you pointed out.
I got the full version from a computer magzine and it also releases the definitions regularly but when I upgraded to Win ME I also got Norton so I had to leave AVG.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by Snake785
I heard that Norton AV not only slows down your computer but also takes over your computer. Maybe I'm thinking of Norton Utilities? Anyways, I use McAfee and I'm happy with it.
I use Norton Antivirus at home and E-Trust at work. Both seem do their job just fine.

[]s Badaro

·
r|bb|t
531 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon

Well, when you got that virus 2 years ago, maybe your mcafee and norton definitions were outdated.
nop! they were up-to-date! :p
but i don't know how much these antevirus have improved until then... gotta give them a try later...
but i don't think i need any1 right now :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't caught a virus/trojan in a long time. (I think the last one I caught was the Michelangelo virus in 1993.) Honestly, anyone that's alert enough can spot a virus from a mile away. Having grown up using PCs with 640KB of RAM and DOS, I see anti-virus programs as resource-hogging software and don't want anything to do with 'em. I think I was scarred for life trying to free up enough "conventional memory" to get DOS games to run. ;)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts