Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a new company in my city offering 1 Mbps wireless connectivity @ $18.75. All well and good, but the thing is that there's a download cap of 15 GB on this offer (they're also offering a cheaper package with a 5 GB cap but I'm not even gonna think about it).

My dad is pretty eager to upgrade to it, and their service is definitely good, I went to my friend's house who has the exact same package and his d/ls were swimming along at ~120 Kbps at almost all times. Here's a comparison between my current, and the new one:

Speed
Price
Download limit

Current: 300 kbps (via LAN)
$6.25​
No limit​
New: 1 mbps (wireless)
$18.75​
15 GB cap​

I think the cap is gonna be a nuisance. Especially since my vacations will start in 2 weeks time, I'll be browsing the net all day long :)D) + a whole lot of Flash games + lots of YouTube videos + a LOT of downloading, I download 2-4 distros every month to try them out on VM, not to mention other, even larger downloads like Windows 7 a few days back.

Moreover, since the connection will be more then 3x faster then my current one, I think I'll just eat through the cap even quicker!

What do you guys think? Yay or Nay? I'm currently leaning towards Nay.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that the upload speeds on this connection are VERY good! (~3 mbps)

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Your probably already doing this gamefreak, but if not, remember to turn your web browser cache to really big. So you can reduce bandwidth as much as possible. And get the firefox flash blocker plugin to stop those massive flash ads that are no longer blocked by the adblocker plugin. Perhaps start using a script blocker plugin.

Caps are the devil.
i think you are getting your hockey teams mixed up. Go Caps!

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that the upload speeds on this connection are VERY good! (~3 mbps)
...The download speed is 1/3 of the upload speed? Seriously?

I wouldn't get it, as caps are the devil (loel), and if you'll be using the internet all day anyway, you'll prolly hit that cap many times.
Nay from me.
E: And another thing, I'd take a wired connection over wireless any day of the week.

·
soshin
2,595 Posts
What is your download/ upload speed now? I also have the same service (not by the same ISP, but it has the same package) at home, with the 2GB cap. For me that's enough, but seeing you would be very active with the internet, I suggest that you keep using the ISP that you are using now. I really hate that limitation. Nay for me

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Caps are the devil.
My thoughts exactly!

Your probably already doing this gamefreak, but if not, remember to turn your web browser cache to really big. So you can reduce bandwidth as much as possible. And get the firefox flash blocker plugin to stop those massive flash ads that are no longer blocked by the adblocker plugin. Perhaps start using a script blocker plugin.
NoScript already does that. But despite that, in an average 2 hour net-surfing session, I've seen that just the web-pages + a few basic Flash games add up to ~50 MB!

...The download speed is 1/3 of the upload speed? Seriously?
You didn't see this:
http://forums.ngemu.com/1641155-post284.html :p

Gamefreak,
check my account usage for this April before you make any decisions.
And I have a 256Kbps connection.
o_0 Is there any software I can use to track exactly how much I've uploaded/downloaded?

All ISPs have caps. It's only a question of how strictly they enforce it.
My current one doesn't. I think there was one month back in 08 when I download like 20GB worth of data from just torrents, and I didn't experience even a mild set-back like slower speeds or anything.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
No, every ISP does gf. They just don't go out of their way to make it aware to most customers. There's probably a small sentence/paragraph in your contract stating they have the right to withhold services if they deem your account has been excessively active. Sit down with it and read through it, you'll be surprised at all the conditions that are set....

And 20GB in a month? That's nothing. In my fansub days, where I would constantly upload and download for my fansub group, I could do that in 3-4days.

Every ISP is different, but once you cross a certain threshold, they will cut you off. Usually they're supposed to notify you...but many don't.

·
|> |_ /\ |\| |
1,243 Posts
My point is, it's not worth it. Your current connection is fine.
Way better than monitoring your usage, and then failing to keep yourself within limit and paying 2-3 times more than the cost.

But you can always try and see yourself.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, every ISP does gf. They just don't go out of their way to make it aware to most customers. There's probably a small sentence/paragraph in your contract stating they have the right to withhold services if they deem your account has been excessively active. Sit down with it and read through it, you'll be surprised at all the conditions that are set....

And 20GB in a month? That's nothing. In my fansub days, where I would constantly upload and download for my fansub group, I could do that in 3-4days.

Every ISP is different, but once you cross a certain threshold, they will cut you off. Usually they're supposed to notify you...but many don't.
Actually there aren't any papers involved :p My ISP is just an un-official company limited to the neighborhood run by a man from his house oO So we just rang him up one day ans he sent one of his boys to lay down the LAN cable and we were up and running. He just buys a 20 mbit commercial fiber-optic connection and distributes it.

Either way, there probably is a cap regardless of that, I'm just thankful I haven't exceeded it....yet.

·
Professional Spitter.
972 Posts
My ISP has has cap, and i suppose thats kinda sweet compared to most of the other ISP's.

We used to have an cap though. It started at 25 GB, but that wasnt enough. 50 GB proved to be inefficient as well so they said screw it and removed the cap altogether. That was some fine buisness handling :)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
There's still caps in Holland? That's new to me, most have this "fair usage policy" nowadays, which is rather relative of course. Though not being a heavy downloader, I haven't ever seen any comment on our collective net usage at home.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I used to pay about 125$ for my 5$ internet coz it had cap of 1gb :lol:

I crossed that limit in just 5 hours from the start of the connection .

Now i pay about 15 $ fooor unlimited download at about 30kbps but it is still nice .

stick to unlimited download

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.