Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
The game looks very interesting (the first one from early 90's), I've never played a game from the Ys series, though I heard the name a couple of times. What's so special about it? :)

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
I think what he's implying is the graphics. The graphics are almost exactly the same style and look of the original Y's for the pc back in the early 90's. Disappointing considering the look of the most recent Y's games. Yet, nod's to Falcom for the the throw back.

Y's is a infamous series in Japan created by Falcom. It's garnished a sorta underground following here in America. The Y's series has been released here before, but the early games are mostly hack-n-eye versions of the bread and butter of the series. Y's 1 & 2 have been noted for being ported and redone numerous times. Y's 1 & 2 Eternal a pc remake was recently finished being translated by NightWolf.

The most recent Y's game to

make it over here was Y's 6. Brought over by Konami.

Falcom itself is known for numerous RPG's for the PC overseas. It's garnished a following almost to Square-Enix status. Acturus a recent game by Falcom was even done in conjuncture with Gravity inc, creators of Ragnarok Online. Here's a webpage detaling more in depth about the Y's series.

http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/ys/ys.htm

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Is the pc version in english? It surely looks a great game!

EDIT: what Ys games are in english?

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
The following a compilation of the games that are in english or atleast playable with a faq. The games are listed in order. I do recommended picking these up as soon as possible.

Y's 1 & 2 Eternal - PC Translation here http://rigg.arrowsmash.com/translations/yscomplete/

Y's 3 - Genesis

Y's 4 - Snes Translation here
http://agtp.romhack.net/

Y's 5 - Snes (not translated yet, but numerous faq's for playthroughs)

Y's 6 - Playstation 2

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think what he's implying is the graphics. The graphics are almost exactly the same style and look of the original Y's for the pc back in the early 90's. Disappointing considering the look of the most recent Y's games. Yet, nod's to Falcom for the the throw back.
Swing and a miss. I meant the graphics look like a throwback to RTS or strategy PC games of the early 90's which I find inappropriate on a relatively new handheld.

The original Ys did not look like a RTS or strategy PC title from the early 90's since the original Ys was not for the PC, was not released in the 90's but the 80's, and the Ys franchise has been an action rpg series up to this point typically with a 2D overhead view or at least an overhead view except for Ys III.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
ooo, but it did...the PC88 was a personal computer. Which was it's first incarnation of the y's series. The only that can be semi-called a non computer. Is the MSX version that was released almost coinciding with the Pc88 version. The rest that followed were on various concoles and pc ports accordingly.

The graphics are a throw back the original Y's as been stated on the Y's forums on Falcom's site.

I already stated most of what you said if throughly would look through my links. Thank you for your time gooday sir.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The PC88 is as much a PC as the MSX and C64. It could be considered a personal computer in the most general of terms but when one uses the acronym PC they actually mean IBM PC which today's PC's are descendants of. You couldn't play a PC88 or PC98 game on your PC without an emulator since they aren't actually PC titles. There was a ported PC dos version of the original Ys but that was not its first home. Nec's PC88 is from an era when there were more personal computer platforms than you could shake a stick at.

Have you ever seen a screen of the first Ys? It isn't isometric like Ys Strategy.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
Alright, if you ran all the way up, a couple posts. I gave a link to the history of Y's. I have played Y's on the PC88, as well as the DOS version.

I was not speaking of the isometric view, was speaking of the color palette along with the sense of blandess. Yet, it still has a the orignal Y's feel to it.

I'm dropping this now, casue this would go on forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.