Next Generation Emulation banner

Do you read game manuals before playing?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
965 Posts
Greetings,

Well, it depends on the game. RPGs I usually read the manual, or at the very least flip through it to get key config and a general gist of the combat/magic system. With FPS, I usually just look in-game at the key config while I am tweaking the graphic/sound settings. Fighting and/or adventure games I usually dont bother looking at all, and just learn as I go.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
[Insert Ad Here]
334 Posts
I did back when I played games on NES and SNES. Most games today put you through in-game tutorials so I usually get the hang of a game when I finish them.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
heh, i want to say no, but i just bought FFIV advance yesterday, and i found myself reading the manual before i turned the game on, heh

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
I leave it up to the in-game tutorials, and refer to the manuals later if I get stuck.

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
I read everything including the stuff on the box too >_>

I usually go through the manuals for the story stuff (I grew up on text adventures :p ). As you say, most games nowadays include some sort of tutorial. Also, I hate fumbling around and missing out on secrets or neat tips.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I never ever read the manuals. I like to find out things by trial and error.

There's one exception and that's wizardry games, it's one of the few games imho where you can gain something by using the manual. But it is also the only game where I spend the entire first day of having bought the game on creating my characters. OO, I wish Sirtech still existed those games are so great :(

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
It depends, usually I do, but sometimes I don't feel like reading through a PDF file when it's a budget game. On NES I used to start playing immediately and read the manual later when I wasn't allowed to play anymore because my parents wanted to watch tv :p

Now I always read the manual first, just to pick up a few things about the game, and because I'm interested what they actually say :)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Only for the story summary and game tips. For the rest, I think it's not too
hard to know how to install/run a game and learn the controls from the option menus... unless they're very complicated of course :p

·
band
5,270 Posts
sometimes i read them but really only if they're console games and if its a book manual.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Normaly yes, while installing the game. But usually not all of it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.