Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it keeps your temps down, but if it is just for testing purposes, (having on very short intervals at most 2 minutes) can it be skipped? I have already wasted a tube of Arctic silver and that **** aint cheap. But i have bent pins on my mobo i have to re-align, AGAIN. It was working previous but i think some may have moved more. Its my first board from when i first joined ngemu :lol: The asrock 4core dual vsta. It may be cheap and rather bad spec wise, but it has stood pretty strong against my newer pc's. Had it overclocked to 2.5 (on my e2160) at all times, and never failed me until the sound died, and i had extra sound cards.

(yeah i realise i was rambling on and on, sorry about that:emb:)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
...You wasted a tube of Arctic Silver?

The fact is that you need thermal paste, whether it be AS or not. If it sucks, it's still going to lubricate the transfer of heat from the core to the heatsink. In all honesty, the thermal paste is almost as important as the cooler itself. One can't exist without the other.

If you really don't want to use something expensive, go to a local PC repair store and just ask them for a tube or whatever it is they use. It shouldn't be above 5 bucks. The Processor needs some way of transferring a good percent of the heat from it to the heatsink. Both it and the heatsink are solid items and need a paste-like metallic based substance to transfer the heat from one solid object to another. Direct contact won't do you much good.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
just put a thin line down the middle of paste, then take the short end of a credit card at about a 45 degree angle and just smooth it from the center right, then from the center left, then up, then down.

It should look like a thin square right on the top of the processor; as evenly applied as possible. I can get about ten processors done with the smallest tube of Arctic Silver that newegg sells.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should look like a thin square right on the top of the processor; as evenly applied as possible. I can get about ten processors done with the smallest tube of Arctic Silver that newegg sells.
thats actually just about how many times ive had to apply it, since the pinds need to be fixed and my fatal1ty board fried. I need to get at least one of my computers running. I have a whole new setup just sittin there. monitor, surround sound, the works. But i was only able to use it for like a week and a half :dead:

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAHAHA, i am the man!! fixed the bent pins. and it fires right up. I wish i could take a picture of them, they are quite somethin.

So when i putt it all back together, it will be the worst piece of crap on the forum, yet again. A crappy watercooler, hooked up to a crappy board, a crappy gpu, with a crappy cpu, and even crappier overclock. I can only hit 2.5ghz on this one, on my other board i can hit 3.0ghz

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Hmm.... There's a minor chance that a static killed your mobo...... *dun dun dun*

/runs away.

Seriously though, sometimes it might be static causing your mobo to now boot. Maybe you just need to reseat the motherboard and have extra precaution regarding static.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually think it dosnt like my water cooler. I slapped on my old air cooler, which i realise i paid way too much for back in the day :drool: Itll suck if i gotta go air.

But another issue i have so far even though its booting. Its only picking up a gig stick of ram as 512mb's? in the bios it comes up as 512, i used to use it in this old mobo when i first got it. ANd it worked fine. Bios update in order or somethin?

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I plan on buying a new pc. Later this summer i am gonna try and get a job and if i succeed. My ideal computer depending on how prices go down, e8600/q9550 either or, p5q Deluxe, 8 gbs 1066mhz (4x2ghz) and i am still deciding on video. Since then more will be out.

But for now, this duct tape ridden antique is the best i have. It will let me play halo online. Thats one of the most important things. That and some of my emulators. Although pcsx2 is out of the question now:(

edit: oh and i took out my water cooling :( it seemed like to much hassle everytime i gotta change something(and my old board dont like it) so air cooling again...not like i can do anything stressful on this crappy pc anyway

·
Registered
289 Posts
unless you have a cnc ion beam figuring machine, then yes, you need thermal paste. Then again, if you're on stock, you could just "reuse" the tim... Just make sure it's for testing and not for permanent!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
uh... 14:85 for a tube of AS5... you must be going nuts with it to go through one so fast.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts