Next Generation Emulation banner

Do we really grow up?

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Paratech 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been wondering. I've got a PS4 and an XBOX (which ever the newest and "best" one is)... plus, I've got a monster computer with 64 logical CPUs and the worlds best single GFX card (citations needed :p) ....

... but, you know what I mostly play? Counter strike and emulated PS1 games. I bought the PS4 just to play remake of old games (which I didn't do for too long. It's been literally 8 months since I played the PS4, the XBOX is literally an unopened box). I bought COD the other day, and didn't play for more than 20 minutes.

My point is this: It appears that I/we play games because in some way... it takes us back to "good" times (or some thing happens which causes the feel-good chemicals to party in us, with respect to the memories/feelings that once felt pure and lovely). Your opinion?

Example: CTR (Crash Team Racing)... I am willing to bet that I can play this game and BEAT any and everyone without practice. When I play the game, heavens... I feel... I don't know. I recall my brother being player 1, I recall my friends playing (losing lol) with me... I recall pure times... here's the thing - I don't explicitly recall this every time I play; I think there's this sub-conscious thing in us, which makes us feel "good" when exposed to artifacts that are directly reminiscent of lovely times. Despite having much better graphics, intricacy, game play detail and what not...

... it's the pixelated tekken 3 that I imagine (playing against my brother)... cartoon physics racing of CTR... unrealistic combat of Counter Strike. I don't know, man... maybe I'm just high because of this beer that I'm having after like ... 2 months (yes, I've changed from https://www.ngemu.com/threads/how-bad-am-i-doing.203913/) lol.... yes.. 6 feet and a light wait - 1 beer gets me high, 3 beers and I start slurring :p

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't know. But i am quite difference from most of the members here, i do not play back "old games", unless it is remake with current gene's graphics. Util now, I never play back any game that i have finished (the reason why i set highest difficulty for every game played when i was young, because i know once i finish a game i will never play it again), because i have known the story, beaten the bosses, etc. Only genre that i play repeatedly daily is fighting games.

#5 ·
Tl;dr : The only current gen console I own is a Nintendo Switch, playing mostly games made for kids, so I guess I never grow up. xD

I kinda have been replaying the classic games that hit me hard when i was young, like replaying emulated Link's Awakening for the GB before going into the remake. This game blew my mind when I was a kid in primary school, it was the only game cartridge i had on my Gameboy.

I have also emulated some NES games I really liked back then but didn't get very far with any of them. Then comes the megadrive, had it when i was a teen, just replayed Alien Soldier awhile ago, amazing game! It reminds me of how much grind I've put into it playing in the old days with no save states and stuff this game is freaking difficult (but unlimited continues and password to skip level helped a lot).

And then the PS1 era, I owned a PS1, but I prefered playing my PS1 games emulated when PS1 emulation became more mature, I enjoyed savestates , better graphics, and tinkering with the emulator, this is when I join Ngemu, good old days. Replayed the FF series(FF7, FF8/9 Remastered) recently but never finished them, but I did beat MGS1 and Tenchu 2 on emulator, these are some of the best games for its time IMO.

Own a PS2 in my college days, I really liked it for what it has to offer, played a bunch of games on it but there is rarely a "wow" moment, some games that did come close, MGS3 and Shadow of the Colossus to name a few. I have always wanted to replay the Shadow Hearts games but never bothered to really setup the PS2 emulators, they just seem too complicated. I have also replayed the remastered versions of FFX but the only time I beat that game was on the original PS2.

When I graduated and got an actual job, the first console I bought was a PS3, this is the start of modern gaming, games are starting to look very graphically impressive, I am at awe when I first got my hands on Killzone 3, I am not into FPS games but playing it with motion control (PSMove) is genuinely fun, there are some great really good first party games, mainly Naughty Dog's Uncharted Trilogy and TLOU, I enjoyed them but most of the time I find myself enjoying the graphics rather than the actual gameplay. Then, these games starts to feel and play the same, borrowing elements from one another and then I realized what kept me playing was the engaging stories working side by side with the updated graphics, it's like watching an interactive movie. I never replay games of this era, like when I finished a story, I have no intention to experience them again.

PS4/XBone era, I don't own any of these, been playing most of my "modern" games on PC, I got a Nintendo Switch if that counts. This is the era I feel like the games are trying too hard to do more but end up achieving much less, I know this makes no sense but try comparing FF15 to FF7, or Fallout 4 to Fallout 1/2, MGS5 vs MGS3 and you'll probably get what I mean, yes games looks far superior now but what happened to the truly massive worlds and well packed contents? When a new game is announced I am more curious about how games have evolved graphically rather than the actual gameplay, almost as if I am buying new games and hardware just to experience these new generation of graphics fidelity. *coughs*16 times the detail!*coughs* , gameplay wise I find myself enjoying the smaller indie titles much more than those AAA stuff but of course there are some exceptions, like my favorite games of this generation, The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild, these games are truly amazing but I don't see myself replaying them anytime soon.

These days, I play games at the lowest difficulty, go through the story once and never bother playing again. I will get a PS4 Pro someday, there are some games on it that I am really curious about, mainly, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, the new Spiderman game, God of War, and of course the upcoming FF7 remake.

#6 · (Edited)
I have changed a lot since I first visited this place back in 2001(psxemu.com). At that point in time I was a good looking half Asian half Dominican bad boy that slept with girls everywhere he go as girls felt in love instantly ending with a broken hart as I moved to the next one. I was a young man with lots of plans for the future(which I well executed) and tons of passion for coding, emulators and games.

Many years have passed and its been a rollercaoster going up and down through all episodes of my life such as being extremely happy to marry a wonderful woman, losing my father in law 2 weeks after, getting kids, moving to different places and working literally my a$$ off to reach my goals. All that changed my passion and I went from loving games to not playing games at all and coding almost the entire day just for fun. Nowadays am a happy old man with most of my goals reached, kids and wife I love and enjoy the time outside doing work in my house and playing games.

One thing have changed though and that is my passion for coding.... I no longer enjoy coding as I did in the past and even at work I decided to manage our coding projects and do different stuff rather than write thousands of lines of code like I did in the past. It may be a temporary thing but for now my time coding is pretty limited even at work and I choose to do other things like everyone else.

Something I truly love now that I didn't liked so much in the past is heat up the grill, grill some awesome meat, grab some cold beer and watch the kids play. That is the moment I truly find happiness!

#9 ·
If you're talking about video games, I generally play games that I played 10+ years ago. My Xbox One has probably been played for a total of 20 hours since I bought it when it first came out, while my original Xbox has been played quite a bit more. I still enjoy playing my all time favorite game, Yoshi's Island on SNES emulators - I even bought a USB SNES-style controller to play it with.

If you're talking about real life, well, I've gotten married - but that's to the woman I was dating in high school. I've had a kid - which was an accident, lol. I've started one business that did okay but I lost interest, and another that's doing good. Both of those businesses are things I was interested in as far back as high school. I've bought a house, cars, etc... Everything a 'grown up' is 'supposed' to do.

I feel like I've matured and thus 'grown up', but largely my personality and interests have remained the same since high school.

#11 ·
My taste for gaming is something most people would call "childish". I really love silly, colorful platform games (Banjo, Yooka, Super Lucky's Tale, Knack, and all Mario games lately) because THAT kind of game gives me a good feeling. It's a mix of nostalgia and joy from the eye-candy graphics.

Few months ago I finished (again) Banjo Kazooie and I really had a blast. Last week finished Link's Awakening remake (a game that I treasure so much, since it really defined my childhood). Still playing Pokémon to this day (I am proud to say that I've played ALL main Pokémon games to date, despite being a grumpy 30 yo dude lol).

#12 · (Edited)
As my wife always say when I fire up one of those games..........

"HOW OLD ARE YOU?"

As my wife always say when I fire up a mature game.........

"THE KIDS ARE AROUND! CLOSE THAT GAME RIGHT NAO!"

As my wife always say when I play for about 30 minutes.........

"WHEN WILL YOU STOP? YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING THE ENTIRE DAY!"

As my wife always say when I fire up Killer Instinct.........

"HOLD ON! HOLD ON!!! LET ME GRAB MY GAMEPAD TO KICK YOUR A$$!" - and with luck(tons of it) she indeed wins....several times because I happen to have a bad day you know....

And so my dear friends of ngemu.... take an advice from a old and wise man.....

STAY SINGLE!!!!

#13 ·
And so my dear friends of ngemu.... take an advice from a old and wise man.....

STAY SINGLE!!!!
I must be lucky. My wife doesn't really care what I do so long as I take care of what needs to be taken care of and I make some time for family. Or maybe (almost) six years of marriage isn't quite enough for the negatives you described. :p

#19 ·
I was lucky enough that my GF and I bonded over our love of video games. We started dating earlier this year (about 7 months ago) and I knew she was the one early on when she said she was looking forward to playing Bloodlines 2.

For Christmas she decided to be insane and bought me a Switch + Luigi's Mansion 3. Back when she began staying over we would play Mario Party on my PC, so I got us Super Mario Party on the Switch and we played it over the holidays.

You know its love when she SHOULD steal your star but she picks "random" instead.

#23 ·
I like older systems. I don't have a Switch, PS4, or XBOX One and don't see myself owning any.

I picked up a 3DSXL to play SNES games when my 3DS wore out and I lost a ton of Wii digital games.

I just play short spurts at different times of the day. Without marriage and kids my gaming time is limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.