Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased several games off Steam digitally because they were 25%-90% off, everything from Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom for $1 each to Left 4 Dead 4 for $23.99 this weekend. Sometimes I don't like the DRM on the DVD versions such as Bioshock, and sometimes the price is nicer...and sometimes it's multiple reasons, for instance Half Life for $1 and a version that was "updated" for XP. I don't mind "repurchasing" games for $1-$5, as even rentals are more expensive...

So how does everyone else feel about it?

Do bargain deals on Steam get you to buy games?

·
Oilslime
77 Posts
Sales in general are often the final push for me to buy games. I enjoy buying digitally though Steam due to what I call the 'Diablo II' effect. Cetain games tend to have an absurdly high replay value and require the disk to play. Thoughout more than a decade of playing Diablo II I've had to install it at least a dozen times as I went though new computers, reforamats, and in the case of my first PC uninstalls due to what was at the time massive HDD requirement. Though the years I have managed to break a disk twice, lost a disk thrice, and had it stolen once. Each time I bought a new copy. With Steam all I need to do is download again.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yes, because these prices at least justify the lack of a hardcopy and the risk involved with digital stuff. Or in other words: I finally pay rental prices for a copy that in indeed nothing more than a prolonged rental.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I backed up Left 4 Dead and a few other games with it onto 2 DVDs last night...

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can respect and understand that...

It took me two weeks on dial up to get Half Life 2!

I'm glad I have Broadband now...

Thank God.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
last thing i bought on steam was TF2+GMOD together for £15. it was a choice of that or CS:S+GMOD and TF2 was that won me over.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Don't know why people make such a big deal over physical media.
The fact that I OWN a game makes quite the difference for me, even if it's just for making a statement and getting a nice box with the game. I admit I was disappointed though seeing that L4D only came with a dvd and serial, and that sometimes it doesn't even want to install from the DVD but downloads the game instead.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
No, I still prefer physical mediums like Cid.

Thoughout more than a decade of playing Diablo II I've had to install it at least a dozen times as I went though new computers, reforamats, and in the case of my first PC uninstalls due to what was at the time massive HDD requirement. Though the years I have managed to break a disk twice, lost a disk thrice, and had it stolen once. Each time I bought a new copy. With Steam all I need to do is download again.
And now Blizzard allows you to register your CD-Keys and download the games in the future. They rock.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
And now Blizzard allows you to register your CD-Keys and download the games in the future. They rock
That's pretty good.

Thoughout more than a decade of playing Diablo II I've had to install it at least a dozen times as I went though new computers, reforamats, and in the case of my first PC uninstalls due to what was at the time massive HDD requirement. Though the years I have managed to break a disk twice, lost a disk thrice, and had it stolen once. Each time I bought a new copy. With Steam all I need to do is download again.
Why don't you create a virtual image of your discs ??

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
I was quite on the steam bandwagon last year, but at some point I realised I also like physical mediums better... well, at least when I can be sure that they work independently of any online connection, otherwise it doesn't really make a difference.

I kind of started to dislike having old junk around, though.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
I do know steam games work offline once you've installed... what if you reinstall without any internet connection available? Let's assume one doesn't have a connection, but does have a recent steam client.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.