Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had someone tell you, you are too old to play video games? I'm only 20 and my mother thinks I'm too old to be playing video games. I think this is a ridiculous statement considering the large amount of M games available. I believe video games should be enjoyed by people of all ages.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I totally agree with you, DarkAurora. I think that this sometimes comes about because the older generation thinks "Mario" and "Sonic" when they hear the words "video games." Not to say such games involving those characters aren't fun, but the number of mature-rated and violent games has risen sharply over the past 10 years. Unfortunately, it's hard for most older people to realize that gaming is and has been an adult activity. In fact, I think that people in their 20's and early 30's constitute the majority of the gaming population.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
My mom tells me that sometimes and whenever she does it irritates me quite a bit. I will decide when I want to stop playing, no one else will make that decision for me.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
i bet that when chess was invented, parent where saying the same thing:

stop playing that stupid thing a trow this garbage out of the castle! :lol:

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
my parents also says it.. they think its as stupid as when i was a kid playing with cars.. its a lost for them that they never enjoyed games...

and i usualy respond with most ppl hang outside smoking drugs.. u rather have me do that ? Mother usualy say fine go smoke ur crack >.< knowing i never smoked or dont even wanna smoke cos i hate it..

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
same problem here, with my parents, grandparents and so on... but I alway tell them that it's almost the same as watching tv so why don't they stop watching all those stupid channels/programs in tv, and also I tell them that they are different generation of ppl and probably won't understand that :evil:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
They only think it is all 'stupid' but never asked me if I was too old, even though I'm 18, which might be old in their eyes. Though my parents still play Mah Jong and they still love a good game of Bomberman 2/ Dynablaster on the NES. My dad's a bubble bobble freak as well :D

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Well i think that the time when playing video games was associated with geeks is long past and gaming has become much more accepted by the society although older people see no reason for us to still play them.
So no i am not to old to play video games, hell i know a 46 year old guy who is highly addicted to RTS there was a time he would come home from work an stay till 5 am playing games like Ceasar III, Pharao, Zeus and Age of Empires II, i was talking to him recently and he was like, i gotta go home man i have a big battle tonight.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
heh my friends dad is about 53 years old, and he still is playing many games (most are RTS and RPG) and he got so many fight with his son that now they have both their own mashines (what is not so common in my friggin' country).
I'm just glad that I have my own PC (for my own money) and most of my family which is living with me don't use it too often (whell, I have a younger sister, she wouldn't want to use PC so much if there was no internet but... ->''what the hell are you still doing in my room on my pc? get the f*** out of here, go to work, earn your own money for your own hardware, goodbye" -> and she has to leave :evil:, yeah I know it's bit cruel ;)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Typhoon 01 said:
Well i think that the time when playing video games was associated with geeks is long past and gaming has become much more accepted by the society although older people see no reason for us to still play them.
So no i am not to old to play video games, hell i know a 46 year old guy who is highly addicted to RTS there was a time he would come home from work an stay till 5 am playing games like Ceasar III, Pharao, Zeus and Age of Empires II, i was talking to him recently and he was like, i gotta go home man i have a big battle tonight.
I'm glad that the geek image of gamers is gone now. Though ten years ago it was still there. Some ppl just couldn't understand why I liked my NES that much and spend so much time with it. :(

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Well, my parents don't say that I am too old for games. They say I play games TOO much.

They might have said that I am too old for games if my brother (17 years older than me) hadn't be playing games too :p

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
My mother tells me that she knows my back better than my front. :D :eyemove: :heh:

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
to other people, they may say yes... because their usual reason is "grow up and do stuff that are better than playing all day long". On some point its true but I would still play... why? because playing games help me to remove stress when I got home from work. In a sense, different gaming genre help me to know more and learn more than what I currently know and gaming is so much fun to do... without it, life seems boring :)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
I Think the higest age group percent of gamers went up from the teens to the young addults. The 18-23 agegroup is now the majority. This is mostlikely becasue our generation is growing up :p

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
My parents learned that they have little influence on the issue so they stopped complaining long ago... however when I have to withdraw something from the postal office the moron in charge always give me a weird look when he opens the package and finds some fancy video game box...

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I never had anyone told me that im too old for games BUT i think i am getting to old for them. Sometimes i spend 2 hours deciding what to play couse nothing gets my attention and i get bored easly. So i begin to wonder if games no longer interest me :/

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
I grew up with my Grandmother, so there was a HUGE generation gap there. She got to the point where she told me I was too old to be playing games too, but not as much as a couple of other things she always said, like I spent way to much time on them, or her biggest complaint: "Why do you buy so many?? Just buy one or two and stick with them!" She thought it was a waste of money more than anything. Also, alot of adults have a problem with being childish when you grow up. I know my grandma did. She was always quoting a bible verse at me. Something like. When I was a child, I acted as a child. When I became a man, I left those things behind and pursued grownup things. (Best I can remember....that's the general idea of it anyway....think it was a quote from King David) I just think some adults think kid stuff should only be done when you are a child....since when does becoming an adult mean you can't have any fun???

Metalmurphy: I have that same problem, although mine is usually related to the fact that I have SO MANY games I haven't finished yet, and I can't decide which one to start next....lol

Also, there are 2 main reasons why there are so many "mature" games out there now.

1. Soceity would have really protested 15 years ago if they had made really violent games.

2. The gamers that grew up on the nes and the super nes and the genesis are now adults.

In conclusion....I really don't think there is a "too old" to do ANYTHING. It depends on what the person WANTS to do.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Considering my father loves playing Burnout 2 in the Cube, I doubt my parents will say that. :) As for everyone else, who cares what they say?

[]s Badaro

1 - 20 of 44 Posts