Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it's Sunday afternoon (at least here it is) and I've got the rest of the evening to do whatever I feel like today, so I'm doing a little work on Cxbx today. Now, I want you all to do me a favour... the latest build of Cxbx from my branch is attached below, and yes it does play Smashing Drive! There's also a mini game attached below (remember the old DirectDraw game Donuts from the old DirectX SDKs anyone?), so you can test it with that if you have no compatible games. What I want you all to do is test it for speed! You can test it for compatability if you want, but right now I'm more worried about speed issues.

Why am I worried about speed, you might ask? Let me explain... lately I've noticed that every Cxbx dev has been getting faster results than I am with their branches. For instance, Caustik's last release ran Turok at over 85 fps on my machine, my build only gives me a fraction of that speed. The same goes for other games and XDK samples, even the mini game attached below has speed problems when there are only a few sprites on the screen. I'm positive that Smashing Drive can run at full speed (or at least 30 fps) and that's my current goal for today. I don't know it it's just my machine(s) or my builds. Today, I just want to find out once and for all. So if you have Turok or Smashing Drive, I encourage you to try this build and let me know what speeds you get.

Last minute notes: I disabled the debug output to the console to increase speeds a bit, so don't worry about KrnlDebug output. If running Smashing Drive and you get a white screen, don't worry about it; It's just an alpha blending bug and it will go away once you get in game. I'm sure this build has lots of bugs in it so don't freak out over random crashes (Smashing Drive shouldn't crash at all).

Have fun.

·
将軍
558 Posts
Well I don´t have neither Turok nor Smashing Drive but I can test the demo so I´m going for it :)

Maybe you don´t care and I know it doesn´t work but I can test DOA Xtreeme Beach Volleyball, since is your build I guess I can reach at least the intro movie.

How can I see the FPS and what can I do to run it in a window (without fullscreen)?

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don´t have neither Turok nor Smashing Drive but I can test the demo so I´m going for it :)

Maybe you don´t care and I know it doesn´t work but I can test DOA Xtreeme Beach Volleyball, since is your build I guess I can reach at least the intro movie.

How can I see the FPS and what can I do to run it in a window (without fullscreen)?
DOAV never did reach the intro movie, only the error screen.

You can use fraps to view FPS - FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software

To run in windowed mode, uncheck the "Use hardware video mode" in the video options menu.

·
将軍
558 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it, so I´m going to enjoy this donuts demo. What do you want to know? FPS?
In general, yes. The donuts demo already has a built in FPS counter though. On my machines it slows down depending on how many sprites are being rendered; so even 5 sprites brought me down to 30 FPS and lower.

·
将軍
558 Posts
You will giong to kill me but I can´t fire when I press the sapce bar :p funny .... also the ship start moving like crazy

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will giong to kill me but I can´t fire when I press the sapce bar :p funny .... also the ship start moving like crazy
That's probably because you haven't set up the controls :)

I had that problem too, but when I reconfigured the controls (the ones that weren't mapped to a device/button) it worked fine. I guess I should have said that before, sorry :heh:

·
将軍
558 Posts
I can confirm that when there are more than 3 sprites in the screen the FPS drop to 32.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My test.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Blueshogun
Hi Blue it's Frog I just wanted to tell you I got an error message when starting the emulation but it does load the game demo though am I doing something wrong or not at all could you help me out? well talk with you later on see ya later and thanks for the release and demo!

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Blueshogun
Hi Blue it's Frog I just wanted to tell you I got an error message when starting the emulation but it does load the game demo though am I doing something wrong or not at all could you help me out? well talk with you later on see ya later and thanks for the release and demo!
Did you get the error message running the demo or Smashing Drive? If so, what was the error? What are your PC specs/OS? Thanks.

Down to 14 fps at level 8 and got bored.

Edit: and smashing drive is @ 3 fps if it helps.
Even your machine suffers? Wow, I guess there's a serious problem with my builds. Hopefully I can find out what causes everything to go so slow oO

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got error : "Exception......" with all games I tested, even with donuts :(
Do I need to install st? Eg: XDK or directX 8 SDK?
Is there any guide how to handle/debug that exception error?

·
Creative Illusion
33 Posts
I got error : "Exception......" with all games I tested, even with donuts :(
Do I need to install st? Eg: XDK or directX 8 SDK?
Is there any guide how to handle/debug that exception error?
I too got this message the first time, then i restarted cxbx and it worked.

The donuts demo goes from 50 fps to 15 fps when there's a lot of sprites.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A few nights ago, I got Smashing Drive to run full speed. What I did was download nisse's branch and add my changes for Smashing Drive there (easy) since his is overall more "efficient" than mine. It's completely playable now with more interactive frame rates. Audio is worse than before, but oh well, you can play it faster than the Xbox now! Since the game uses frame based movement (instead of time based movement), the game will run super fast unless you enable VSync.

I tried uploading a youtube video as proof, but youtube doesn't like the fraps codec :mad: Anyone know of any good converters?

Oh yeah, I've attached another one below. This one should be much faster than before. Eat that!

i got the same result after restarting it:(
any guide to handle it?
Sometimes Cxbx will act strange. For instance, on my PC(s) Cxbx will sometimes emulate Halo's menus without problems, and sometimes just crash. There were even times when I couldn't run Turok. I recommend restarting your PC, it works for me sometimes.

nice work..i go to compile this..thanks blues...this svn has a section of fixes??i want to work in fixes too..i go to try with your bynaries all my xbox games like 16 games hehe.. : )
excellent
It's not on the SVN yet. I just got around to reinstalling TSVN so I can do that now.

I get a strange result running this...

EDIT: Sometimes I get this result, sometimes I don't. Odd.
It's a feature. If I remember correctly, the black button enables the trailing effect by not clearing the render target. If the black button is not mapped to a key or other input device (that is connected) Cxbx will sometimes count that button as being pressed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Still Doesn't Work

BlueShogun
Hi BlueShogun it's Frog I just wanted to tell you I still can't get your release to work it says
EmuMain (0X15BC): Recieved Fatal Message: *Could not set LDT Entries on the CxbxKrnl also
get this message as well the application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). click ok to terminate the application and that is what is wrong with the xbox emulator could you please help me out on this one or fix it for me in another release you make well thanks for your time and patience and thanks for everything and thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.