Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My KDS 17" monitor has finally kick the bucket.

When I turn on the monitor I get this static noise and a distorted screen. I bought the monitor 2.5 years ago. Before that I used a 17" acer monitor and that lasted 2 years.

I'm not too pleased having all these CRT monitors dying on me under 5 years.

I'm looking into the LCD monitors and I wonder if LCD monitors last longer than CRT monitors.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Technically speaking, and LCD monitor should have more life (albeit if treated properly) than a CRT. However, 2 years is incredibly short life for any monitor.. those may have just been isolated cases.

I have a Compaq 17" which was manufactured in 2000 and it still works beautifully to this day.

·
band
4,912 Posts
just be careful for crts non-shielded speakers should not be placed too close to them. i killed my 17" trinitron monitorvery early because my non-shielded subwoofer was right next to it. :(

cooliscool is right. 2 years is very very short ...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
wow man, you must live next door to the magnet factory or something, 2 years is very very short.

LCDs supposedly live much longer, liek 10 or 15 years compared to a CRT's realistic 5 or so.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
CRT screen.... colors sometimes darkening/lightening... but still alive for nearly 6 years.

However, I must agree... keep away them possibly magnetic objects. A friend at work had a metallic thermal mug once. He accidentally left it beside his monitor over the night and the rainbows simply never went away. :D

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
He did it twice... which made it suck even more. :lol: Tried De-Gaussing it a gazillion times...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
RZetlin said:
It comes down to is it worth spending a little more money a LCD monitor?

Would LCD monitor handle resolutions of 1024x768, games, and watching movies?
yes and no. here's why: an LCD monitor looks like ass outside of its default res. so if you want a 15" screen to have your 1024x768, go for it. LCDs are getting better for games--my monitor is 12ms response with 600:1 contrast and it plays games wonderfully. the problem is, due to the native resolution, you have to play games in that resolution, or else they look like ass. my monitor looks fine at 1280x1024, but if i play at 800x600, 1024x768, or even 1280x960 (or any other common resolution) it looks like total crap.

however, for watching movies, chatting on IRC, anything like that, an LCD is great. it's much easier on your eyes (no refresh rate!). also, LCDs do last a lot longer (scientific tests in progress as we speak).

i would strongly recommend getting a nice CRT, honestly. they should last around 5 years, and by that time you'll want a new monitor anyway. however, considering your CRT problems...you might want to try an LCD (just because of that).

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 710N and i really like it (except for games).

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
ChaosCode said:
Man crt's never die! I bought no joke my 21 inc crt 5 years ago USED and I droped it 2 time and its been moved 20 times atlest. it still works 100% Ill never get a lcd until it dies and I dont see that happening anytime soon. CRTS 4EVER!
Haha, that's funny. I have a used 17inch right now (found it in my parents rental house) and it works perfect. It was with a dead PIII 866 so you can guess about how old that is.
I will end up getting a crt sooner or later but then I think "were will my middle speaker for surrond sound?

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
If you do your research you should be ok. I'm going into LCD this xmas. I'll be getting a nice 19inch with 8ms response time :). Just be aware that LCDs have their Pros and Cons, and that CRTs still have the best picture quality.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Nec makes great crt's i love mine and i got it used and it's been running since 2002 and having no problems.For lcd's give dell,samsung,viewsonic and hyondai out since i have heard great things about those companies lcd monitors.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Trying to stay alive
2,939 Posts
well, i dont know which part of canada ure from, but here in toronto, only 19" LCD monitors r over $300, 17" ones r in high $200

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
My first monitor i got in 1999 is still working one thinks, albiet it's ultra-dark now for some reason >_>. I've been using a Viewsonic VP171B since July, and in all honesty I don't see myself ever going back to CRT. Especially since i have to haul my PC/Monitor about on a bus for 70 miles every four months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.